REALLY large fonts on a chromebook?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
I am trying to simply print out all 26 letters and numbers from 1 through 10 using a font large enough to fill a standard 8.5x11 page. Almost any simple sans-serif, plain type font will do.

Lots of searching on the net; trying a couple of Apps..etc. have brought me no solutions. A number of hints and apps will get me to 72 pt or 200% larger than "normal".

I don't know how to express what I want in "point" size, but the end result would fit on most of a letter-size paper page.

Any help or suggestions appreciated. thanks, richg99

I'm understanding this to mean you want to fill a letter sized Word document with the alphabet & numbers 1-10.

The attached screen print of a word doc comes close to that. It uses 120 font Calibri and the line spacing is reduced. The margins are about 1/2".

I think you just play around with the font size and line spacing until everything fits on the page the way you want it to look.

Hope this helps.

PS: I know nothing about Chromebooks, so if that is the issue I can't help at all.

ABC.png

I guess I didn't explain my need as well as I should have.

I want to fill ONE page with ONE letter.
i.e. the letter ... A...will take up most of a 8.5 x 11 page;
the letter ...B...will take up most of the area of another page, etc.

richg99

Well, yes and no. What you did is markedly better than what I have been able to accomplish so far. Strangely, though, when I printed it, the letter comes out to be 3 inches high, not anywhere near 10 or so inches high????

For my project, three inches may work well. However, if there is a way to make it even larger, that would be better for future projects.

I think that I can simply tell my printer to REDUCE any full-size letter to any smaller dimension. That would give me total control of the resultant size of the output.

richg99 said:
I guess I didn't explain my need as well as I should have.

I want to fill ONE page with ONE letter.
i.e. the letter ... A...will take up most of a 8.5 x 11 page;
the letter ...B...will take up most of the area of another page, etc.

richg99

Sorry Rich. I didn't see this before I posted with just the single letter per page. There may be an easier way, but here is what I did:

Type the letter using a large font of choice (I used size 48 Calibri). Take a screen shot of the letter, setting the margins of the screen shot to just pick up the letter (on my MacBook that is done by holding down shift/command/4). Copy and paste the screen shot to a blank word doc. Grab the corners of the pasted pic and drag them to fill the page.

This will be kind of tedious because it would have to be done for each letter.

The reason I resorted to pasting and expanding the screen shot to the desired size is because when I tried using a very large font size (font= 1,000) things kind of got out of whack.

I hope you find an easier way, but if not this will definitely work.

Thanks, I will follow your lead and see where it takes me.

Someone said that MS Word (which I haven't used in ages) has the ability to increase the font size to 900 + whereas Chrome Docs only goes to 200.

PM sent. What do you think?
rich

richg99 said:
Well, yes and no. What you did is markedly better than what I have been able to accomplish so far. Strangely, though, when I printed it, the letter comes out to be 3 inches high, not anywhere near 10 or so inches high????

For my project, three inches may work well. However, if there is a way to make it even larger, that would be better for future projects.

I think that I can simply tell my printer to REDUCE any full-size letter to any smaller dimension. That would give me total control of the resultant size of the output.

I did a test and the one I created prints the way it shows above -- One big letter A taking up most of the page. This is a wild guess but I'm thinking perhaps when you take the screen shot make sure the borders are close to the letter so that when you expand the pic the pic borders stay within the word doc page. See this image -- the pic border (arrow) does not go outside the the single page margins.

BTW, if you are going to print all of this consider using a font with an outline of the letter, otherwise you are going to use a ton of ink doing the who alphabet.

Anyway, I hope this helped.

pic margins.png

Yes, all of your help and comments have assisted me in many ways.

When I was younger ( a LONG time ago) I started using old fashioned MS Paint and I could do wonders with it. When programs progressed to using layers, I didn't have much interest and I didn't learn a darn thing.

Now, almost every free program that I see has layers and tons of options. I feel like I am starting to learn how to swim all over again, except this time I have boots on and the water is Texas Gumbo.

There seems to be a disconnect between what I see on my Pixlr Editor page and what winds up being sent to my printer. I know it is me, not the program, but it is still a stopping point.

I may have to go out and just buy a set of cardboard stencils of the right size. If I were being paid by the hour on this "job",... that would be the cheapest way to get it done.

I personally like such fonts even though I have read on many forums that others do not support them. In general, I always try to follow on different sites where new fonts appear and use them in work projects and in programming. Lately, I most often use overwatch logo font and I really like how it looks. Have you seen him? It's really great.

Latest posts