New Jet Motor advice for 16’ Xpress

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaveEagle225

Reaction score
I have a 16’ Xpress that seems wider than most Jons at around 75” wide ad the back. It has been running great with a 25hp Mercury 2 cycle, but much of the river near my property is virtually inaccessible. Unless the review is way up, there are several places where we have less than 1’ depth and Ricky with poor visibility. I would like to buy a new 4cycle Jet drive motor for the boat to improve shallow access and reduce noise.

I rarely ever even used full throttle with the old motor, so I don’t see much need for a screamer. On the other hand, I want to have enough power to take four adults and gear out on the river without having to be at warp 10 just to go against the current.

I am open to options, but I have been looking closely at the Mercury 25/35/40 options.

So seems like my options are:
1) cheapest option: go with the 25hp Merc Jet. It comes with tiller steer, so it’s relatively plug n play. *hope I am not dissapointed with the power level.
2) step up to either the 35 or 40hp. Prolly cost 750 more for the motor. And 1k extra for tiller steer that’s not included.

3) Or, go with 35/40 and use remote controls. 750-1k more for the motor, +6-700 for controls. Plus ?$cost for some sort of console and other odds and ends to make that all work together.

All input is welcome. However, I am not selling the boat and starting over. I do recognize I could probably save money by just buying something else. ..I like this boat, and just want a dIfferent motor.

Thanks.

4 people and gear, current, I would go with the biggest option.
I have a 40/30 Yamaha on a 16' MV Tracker GRIZZLY, it is OK, but if the boat were rated for more than 40hp there would be a 60/40 on it, Pa goes by the powerhead hp.

USCG sticker on my boat states it’s rated for:
30hp motor
70hp motor remote steering.

Somewhat new to boats, I am not sure why remote steering allows over 2x power.

Is it due to shifting the weight forward with remote / console up front?

If you think you're going to have 3 or 4 people in the boat, you'll probably want the 60/40 jet, or a 50/35 at the least. If you go with a forward console and remote steering/controls, it will help balance the weight out. My boat has the Lowe center console which is a nice height and pretty narrow. I put my battery under the console to help move the weight up front as well. You can check out some of the console options at AKMcallum
https://www.akmccallumco.com/check-out-our-accessories--steering-consoles-storage
-

Attachments

• Lowe_1652_5.jpg
    Lowe_1652_5.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 1,238
JL8Jeff said:
If you think you're going to have 3 or 4 people in the boat, you'll probably want the 60/40 jet, or a 50/35 at the least. If you go with a forward console and remote steering/controls, it will help balance the weight out. My boat has the Lowe center console which is a nice height and pretty narrow. I put my battery under the console to help move the weight up front as well. You can check out some of the console options at AKMcallum
https://www.akmccallumco.com/check-out-our-accessories--steering-consoles-storage
-

I think I have decided to go with the 40hp motor.

I like the look of your console. Did you order the windshield and grab bar from them too?

Is your boat a tunnel hull, or flat bottom? I am trying to make sure these motors will work well with my boat. Specs say they work with a 20” transome, so that should be right.

My boat is a jet tunnel hull but my motor is a short shaft and I had to raise it 2" to get the right height. I got the windshield and grab rail from a guy in FL that advertises on Ebay from time to time. I'll see if I can find the information, he might have the dimensions now for that Lowe console since I gave it to him.

update: The place I got the grab rail and windshield from was called Unique Fabrications Unlimited and it looks like they have a new website. I bought a package deal off Ebay (Ufullc is the Ebay seller id) I think so the prices were lower 5 years ago. I hold onto the grab rail all the time so for me it was worth it. Here's the grab rail on their site
https://www.elevationmarine.com/products/custom-windshield-wrap

Running a jet on a boat not designed for it, means you will probably need to use a jack plate to get the exact height the motor will need. I put a 50/35 Tohatsu on mine, converted the tiller to a console. The motor is a two stroke which I chose because of how much less it weighs than the 4 stroke.

Attachments

• 36B6D8B5-324E-4738-8A1F-8505DAF6FE8E.jpeg
    36B6D8B5-324E-4738-8A1F-8505DAF6FE8E.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 1,220
Scott F said:
Running a jet on a boat not designed for it, means you will probably need to use a jack plate to get the exact height the motor will need. I put a 50/35 Tohatsu on mine, converted the tiller to a console. The motor is a two stroke which I chose because of how much less it weighs than the 4 stroke.

Scott, your boat doesn’t look Ike a tunnel hull.. ? And I don’t see a jack plate.

The Mercury spec, says their 25/35/40 jets have a 15” shaft and work with a 20” Transom.

These motors come with a power tilt..

Please help me understand why I would need a jack plate to run this with my boat.

CaveEagle225 said:
Scott F said:

Scott, your boat doesn’t look Ike a tunnel hull.. ? And I don’t see a jack plate.

The Mercury spec, says their 25/35/40 jets have a 15” shaft and work with a 20” Transom.

Please help me understand why I would need a jack plate to run this with my boat.

My boat measures 23" at the transom next to the tunnel. It's about 20" at the tunnel and I had to raise the motor about 2" above the transom for the best performance/least spray and I have one more bolt hole left to go higher (but that setting was too much spray). I also have transom wedges to get it tucked in and prevent porpoising. That 4 stroke 60/40 weighs 267 lbs which is a bit heavier than my 2 stroke 60/45. With the 15" shaft, it should fit your transom raised up a couple of holes like mine. But you probably want to talk to a dealer and verify everything should work ok with your hull.

Attachments

• trailer2.jpg
    trailer2.jpg
    473.9 KB · Views: 1,210
CaveEagle225 said:
Scott F said:

My boat was designed for a jet. No tunnel, but the transom is taller in the center instead of straight across. I had that motor on a different boat when it was a tiller and it needed a jack plate to raise the motor a few inches to the correct height. Power tilt will change the angle of the intake foot which won’t help if the motor wasn’t installed at the right height. Power trim will help you remove weeds when you plug up the intake. Minor changes in tilt might help reduce splashing.

You don't need a jack plate if you can set the engine at the right height directly on the transom. If your transom isn't high enough to bolt the engine directly on high enough your money would be better off spent to pay an aluminum welder/fabricator to weld an extension on your transom. I run a jack plate with my motor cause I also have a prop lower I have switched to on occasions and lower it down for the prop and raise it for the jet. If your not doing that there really isn't a need for a jack plate with a jet if you make your transom high enough.

I prefer tiller steer, but if you want a console run a console it helps the weight distribution. I run a tiller but my gas tank and battery are up front under the front deck on my boat which balances it really well. If I were you I'd go with the 60/40 at least if you want to be able run with three people. Your boat is probably a 1652 or 1654 which would be fine with a 60/40 even with a tiller. If you did tiller you might want to relocate the battery and gas tank. My boat is a 1554 with an a two stroke 1991 evinrude 70hp with a jet which effectively makes it a 40-50hp at the jet. The merc 60/40 outweighs my motor by a little bit which would make you a little arse heavy with a tiller, but I've seen plenty of boats your size with 60/40 mercs on the back of them with a tiller.

Latest posts