thinking about buying a kayak

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
richg99 said:
One cannot have too many boats, of any construction. Anyhow, that's what I told my wife.
Just remember Rich99, when you are gone and the wife goes to sell everything, they will be sold for what you said you paid, as opposed to what you really paid. :cry:

WV1951 said:
richg99 said:
One cannot have too many boats, of any construction. Anyhow, that's what I told my wife.
Just remember Rich99, when you are gone and the wife goes to sell everything, they will be sold for what you said you paid, as opposed to what you really paid. :cry:

yeah, my ex-wife would have been able to have a super sale based off what i told her i paid for things.

Well, ended up with the Pelican Catch 100. Well thought out. Love the open cockpit. Currently making a low budget cart for it. Made supports to sit on and mount against garage wall. Makes storage a breeze. Weather isn't cooperating to get it out.

Looks good. It seems that Pelican has come a long way in their kayak offerings. My only issue with that particular one would be that I need MORE weight limit! 350 lbs.

I weigh in at 252 lbs. Its been my experience with prior yaks that a 400 lb or more would be best for my big butt. Assuming you are not my size, go for it, and please report back how she works for you.

Well, Rich99, not braggin' or complainin', but you got me by a 100 lbs., so I think it will do great. Not much gear, either. The flat(ter) hull should make it ride high as well. I think my 67 year old body and balance will be fine. I will report back.
CqYW4hU.jpg

C3vdC2D.jpg

Ha Ha...Let's see, a dozen years ago, when I was 67, I weighed....oh, shucks, let's not talk about that... either.

I have lost 17 lbs over the last month on a variant of the Keto diet. So, If I can wait 6 more months, and lose 17lbs each month, I could buy a lighter yak, too.

Truthfully, though, a lot of guys, who weigh lots more than you, buy yaks that are nowhere near buoyant enough for safe fishing. A hundred-pound spread should be enough, but I think the manufacturers stretch the safe-weight ratings some.

I expect to hear good things from you and about your new yak!

rich

Bottom said:
I catfish the Ohio river from a sea ghost 110. It has a transducer hole and guard built into the bottom. It’s pretty stable, comes with everything you need besides a PFD.

I just ordered the Sea Ghost 110 due to your recommendation and then my additional research on this model. It has excellent reviews. Thank you

WV1951 said:
Well, ended up with the Pelican Catch 100. Well thought out. Love the open cockpit. Currently making a low budget cart for it. Made supports to sit on and mount against garage wall. Makes storage a breeze. Weather isn't cooperating to get it out.
Looks a like nice Yak. Congrats on the purchase

Well, have had it out one time. No problem whatsoever with stability. Will have to practice paddling, but for the water I will have it on, will not be a problem. I purchased a short 3-4' paddle to aid in maneuvering, and ended up pretty much using it exclusively.

I'm digging this one out of the basement..

I have a Pelican tandem that I've had for years, but it's a sit in and has always been hard on my back.
Last week I splurged and picked up a 2015 Hobie 12" Pro Angler that's never been in the water. The guy bought it with good intentions and it was put in the basement and has never seen the light of day. He got tired of looking at it, and I picked it up for a bit over $2K. Not bad, considering it sold new for $3750. It came with the wheels, and several extras he bought the day he picked it up. Part of me would like to have the newer 180 drive so I can back up without a paddle, but I'm not going to to complain.

My wife and I bought a place just north of Venice, LA and I'm looking forward to getting after redfish and speckled trout with it.

paper said:
I'm digging this one out of the basement..

I have a Pelican tandem that I've had for years, but it's a sit in and has always been hard on my back.
Last week I splurged and picked up a 2015 Hobie 12" Pro Angler that's never been in the water. The guy bought it with good intentions and it was put in the basement and has never seen the light of day. He got tired of looking at it, and I picked it up for a bit over $2K. Not bad, considering it sold new for $3750. It came with the wheels, and several extras he bought the day he picked it up. Part of me would like to have the newer 180 drive so I can back up without a paddle, but I'm not going to to complain.

My wife and I bought a place just north of Venice, LA and I'm looking forward to getting after redfish and speckled trout with it.

You and your spouse playing "connect-a-dot" with houses...stretching from Canada to the Gulf Coast? Sheez.

Nice to see you posting.

Latest posts