Hydroturf

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prowelder

Reaction score
I've done a job for this guy every year around tax season. It's taking 3 years but his boat is completed. The 1st year I added the front deck 2nd year I added the rear deck and this past weekend I fabbed up a cooler and hydroturf'd the intire boat. What do yiu think?
f48ca1ea23e00ee6c4dea5504435f61d.jpg
f7409122130739ac3f88f9e5069975ac.jpg
d8c1596fb517468020425072e5b19d9b.jpg
323ec9f81bb00a15ae4df364ad6ca2fc.jpg
a264c04c749ae82cc478b4b3b7f2d718.jpg
9978ce5ce98c3989df5cf3958335351a.jpg
8a45c10f592f998a1dc256f25ee11a5f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I think "wow". That is really a clean professional looking job. Looks great.

How was installing Hydro turf? Is it simple as cut to fit and glue down? The web site is kind of light on installation info.

That looks very good! I'm getting ready to install this in my boat. My question is, my hatches are all bare aluminum would you suggest painting just the edges, will it stick to the bare aluminum? Should I ruff up the surface by sanding first? Thanks in advance for the help

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Jim said:
Very cool man! Thinking about going this route when i build my pond hopper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm hoping mine turns out 1/2 as well as this guys. Haha what kind of pond hopper you looking for.....?

I just put Hydro Turf (HT) down on my boat this past weekend.
Great stuff.
If you need to run a seam, it can be tricky with the pattern/color you go with.
I ordered the wide groove Taupe on Cream. It only comes in 47" width so I had to seam it. I noticed the grooves were not straight when using a straight edge, so I put a laser on it (see pic) and took a picture and sent to HT. If they are not straight and you need to use a seam, it will be tricky, but take your time, practice on some scraps. With my color/pattern aligning the seam in the groove hid it best.
It comes with or without the 3M backing, I choose to go with, which I recommend. Use a carpet knife. Score the 3M paper backing to adhere your pieces portions at a time. Use some cardboard or other material to create a template to cut the HT, you don't want to make a mistake.

Attachments

• 20200430_165057.jpg
    20200430_165057.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 893
I’m looking to add hydro turf for my bot build. Still going back and fourth tho. It seams to hold up well?

Thank you for suggestions! I also ordered it with the backing....the roll on glue seemed like it'd turn into a hot mess. And some glue will melt that stuff correct? I'm putting this on aluminum so, should I prime the bare aluminum or paint it first? I was kind of thinking just painting all my edges then putting this stuff down. Fortunately for me I won't have any seams lengthwise
And yeah for what it costs I'd cry if I ruin it lol. Oh BTW the center ply wood is covered in aluminum now, don't have a newer picture.
9a49b05c6b82af40f140d8d60479afa6.jpg

I applied mine to painted aluminum since the paint was in great shape. Mine was applied to 2 types of surfaces, painted aluminum & Airex PXc (fiber-reinforced structural foam). No problem with adhesion yet with just the 3M backing. I did test it will the DAP Weldwood Contact Cement and decided not to deal with the mess of it. I figured, if it comes up, I can apply some down the road.

Make sure the surface is clean of grease, dust, etc.

I did notice some areas have a small air bubble that can't escape. All I did was take a small pin to release air and push it back down to adhere.

This stuff, "BlackTip Jetsports Sheet Goods Black Marble traction mat " available on Amazon is also a viable alternative. Don't know how it compares with Hydroturf.

Latest posts