1982 Lund Mr Pike 16

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamonddave

Reaction score
Thinking ok buying a 1982 Lund Mr Pike 16 w/Merc 40hp 1997. Possible but not confirmed water circulation problem. Not sure what to pay or worth thanks in advance

Here is a 81 that I worked on
https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=441229#p441229

I spent $800

I'd say it's worth 2000-3000 in the Covid market, fully functional with all of the necessary paperwork for registration.

If the motor is not pumping water, do a compression test before handing over any money. A water pump is a cheap fix, a new powerhead because the owner ran it hot, is not.

I would be hesitant to spend much more than $1500 as-is.

First off thanks for the reply
So went and checked out the boat compression good started right up. Ran like a top in the can did spit water out of the vent in the back 1997 tracker force 40hp took the cover off didn't see the tube that squirts water assuming doesn't have one could be wrong so made a offer and got it cheap. Got it home put the muffs on and see water coming from multiple locations 1 prop think that's normal 2 looking at the boat from the back just in front of the right inside bolt from hole just in front of bolt 3 hole toward back of lower. Worked on a lot of i/o first outboard for me. I do know the guy I got it from did a self repair on the pump and of last season. Any ideas would be most appreciated. Other than that boat is in great shape normal wear and not a dent or rotted board on it. It is possible I'm over thinking it

Diamonddave said:
First off thanks for the reply
So went and checked out the boat compression good started right up. Ran like a top in the can did spit water out of the vent in the back 1997 tracker force 40hp took the cover off didn't see the tube that squirts water assuming doesn't have one could be wrong so made a offer and got it cheap. Got it home put the muffs on and see water coming from multiple locations 1 prop think that's normal 2 looking at the boat from the back just in front of the right inside bolt from hole just in front of bolt 3 hole toward back of lower. Worked on a lot of i/o first outboard for me. I do know the guy I got it from did a self repair on the pump and of last season. Any ideas would be most appreciated. Other than that boat is in great shape normal wear and not a dent or rotted board on it. It is possible I'm over thinking it

Those did not have a tell tale.

It should spit a lot of water from the exhaust ports just below the powerhead. If it isn't, then you are not getting water to the powerhead.

]pulled the lower for inspection everything looks good and impeller and seals minus the housing are new. Talked to my mechanic friend and he says test run is recommended and appears to be running normal for a 1997 force 40hp. Thanks for all the info i look forward to sharing my quest to restore the old 1982 Mr Pike.eb8898adbbc143c695ce96735fee0d59.jpgff2f9758186d406fb7e6b183fca9f945.jpg

So maybe i did get screwed on this one. Put everything back together got the water going motor started water pumped through the system looked good ran strong shut her down tilted motor back up and water leaked out of the cowling started her back up ran it for couple min and yep water leaking for were the powerhead meets the midsection. of course its on the left side were i cant see so not sure if its a crack or gasket. Looks like a pain in the *** to change that gasket

Diamonddave said:
So maybe i did get screwed on this one. Put everything back together got the water going motor started water pumped through the system looked good ran strong shut her down tilted motor back up and water leaked out of the cowling started her back up ran it for couple min and yep water leaking for were the powerhead meets the midsection. of course its on the left side were i cant see so not sure if its a crack or gasket. Looks like a pain in the *** to change that gasket

The powerhead gasket is not too bad on most motors. Get an early start and you can be done by lunch time, if everything goes well.

Could also be the transfer cover gaskets, head gasket, thermostat housing, etc. I would check them all over very carefully before pulling the powerhead, obviously water runs downhill and the actual source may not be readily apparent.

Whether or not you're willing to put that amount of work into a Force is up to you. I think the later ones were actually pretty good motors, despite their reputation, if you can still get parts.

The boat looks straight and clean, definitely worth repowering, worst comes to worst.

MrGiggles said:
Diamonddave said:

The powerhead gasket is not too bad on most motors. Get an early start and you can be done by lunch time, if everything goes well.

Could also be the transfer cover gaskets, head gasket, thermostat housing, etc. I would check them all over very carefully before pulling the powerhead, obviously water runs downhill and the actual source may not be readily apparent.

Whether or not you're willing to put that amount of work into a Force is up to you. I think the later ones were actually pretty good motors, despite their reputation, if you can still get parts.

The boat looks straight and clean, definitely worth repowering, worst comes to worst.
going to give it a go parts are 30 bucks have to look for a book to get torque specs and bolt tightening pattern an such. really appreciate the feed back.

Well can't find the book on that exact model. Looks like I take off the lower then upper to expose the bolts disconnect everything from powerhead remove and replace. Sounds simple

Found the book what a awesome thing that is. Figured I would get started after work today in 45 minutes powerhead off and in the garage. Ordered the parts as soon as they arrive should take no time to get her back together. both adapter seals clearly blown. found one exhaust plate bolts loose so ordered that also. Have to give a shout out for Dicks Marine in fox Lake if your looking for hard to find, Vintage, used parts and pieces he just might be the guy to call. FYI he like to talk and have your serial number ready. I mean who has the exact force service manual sitting on a table next to his desk. if i can help anyone else let me know be happy to

Diamonddave said:
Found the book what a awesome thing that is. Figured I would get started after work today in 45 minutes powerhead off and in the garage. Ordered the parts as soon as they arrive should take no time to get her back together. both adapter seals clearly blown. found one exhaust plate bolts loose so ordered that also. Have to give a shout out for Dicks Marine in fox Lake if your looking for hard to find, Vintage, used parts and pieces he just might be the guy to call. FYI he like to talk and have your serial number ready. I mean who has the exact force service manual sitting on a table next to his desk. if i can help anyone else let me know be happy to

Good to hear, nice work.

MrGiggles said:
Diamonddave said:

Good to hear, nice work.

thanks MrG

Got the parts today replaced the exhaust gasket both adapter and powerhead gaskets drive shaft seal. All back together. Let it run on the muffs for about 10 min no leaks and no water in the cowl. Planning a test run this week on the water.

Latest posts