A first for me

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
While trying to hook up the first striper of the year, my buddy hooked this fish called a cunner. Never seen or heard of these but apparently they are great eating and this one is a decent one. Check out the mouth on this thing!

20210606_151604-XL.jpg

I was thinking tautog when I saw 1st those teeth. Cunners average 12" long and that's a good one there, and they have multiple rows of cone-shaped teeth. Most cunners we've caught in/outside Ipswich Bay have been the blue(er) coloroed ones.

To tell them apart, we ID them by the shape of the head, 'tog having a more rounded head and stronger looking mouth, cunners having a more sloped-shaped head with a weaker looking mouth.

Huh.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=cunner++fish

Interesting fish.

That ocean's a fascinating place.

DaleH said:
I was thinking tautog when I saw 1st those teeth. Cunners average 12" long and that's a good one there, and they have multiple rows of cone-shaped teeth. Most cunners we've caught in/outside Ipswich Bay have been the blue(er) coloroed ones.

To tell them apart, we ID them by the shape of the head, 'tog having a more rounded head and stronger looking mouth, cunners having a more sloped-shaped head with a weaker looking mouth.

This one came from off the Isle of Shoals, just off Smuttynose.

Latest posts