Extending Minn Kota Terrova Shaft Length

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmk0002

Reaction score
I'm kicking the tires on getting a Minn Kota Terrova for my 1648 flatbottom (new or used). I see the shortest shaft length available is 45" shaft which isn't too long but ideally I'd still like it shorter. If I could find a good used one I would have no hesitations of cutting shaft down to whatever I need. However, I would like to be able to re-extend the shaft length in the future in case I end up with another boat with a higher deck I want to be able to use it on. Has anyone extended a Terrova specifically and if so how much were the parts and what was the difficulty level? I tried finding the replacement shafts online but I kept getting swamped with Powerdrive model shafts.

I have the PowerDrive model, but I think this would apply to the Terrova as well. There is a locking knob on the shaft, aptly named the "Depth Collar Knob".

You would be able to set the knob for a shallower depth if that is what you want. Then, no need to do any cutting.

Edit: Oops.

I believe new shafts only come in one length, you cut them down if needed, but you cannot make them longer.

Additionally, the motor housing is bonded to the shaft and cannot be separated, they must be purchased as an assembly. If I remember correctly they're about $200.

MrGiggles said:
I believe new shafts only come in one length, you cut them down if needed, but you cannot make them longer.

Additionally, the motor housing is bonded to the shaft and cannot be separated, they must be purchased as an assembly. If I remember correctly they're about $200.

That’s what I was wondering… if they only came in an assembly. I’ll talk to my local repair shop and see if they what they think about it. Maybe they can could source some used parts from one where the motor went bad or something.

LDUBS said:
I have the PowerDrive model, but I think this would apply to the Terrova as well. There is a locking knob on the shaft, aptly named the "Depth Collar Knob".

You would be able to set the knob for a shallower depth if that is what you want. Then, no need to do any cutting.

Edit: Oops.

Yeah I was aware of that. My only issue is that when I set the depth on my current 45” shaft trolling motor, the heading unit is so high it can get in the way. Not a huge deal as is but if I got the terrova I would be using the ipilot to follow contours and troll jigs or cranks and my Driftmaster rod holders would get in the way. I guess it’s one of the cons of Jon boat. If my deck was wider that would help. I plan to extend it as well so that may also help some.

I have a 1650 flat bottom with a deck in the front. I also have a 60 inch shaft XI5 on it set to one side. Works fine for me. I wouldn't think you'd have any issues with it if it has a remote.

You only really have two choices.
1- cut the shaft you have
2- get another lower unit and cut that shaft.
There is no way to extend the shaft. The shafts for terrova is about 450-700 dollars depending on which model it is
I cut my shaft for my application it’s not hard to do but there is no going back and replacements for the current terrova are not cheap.

I've had my entire Ulterra apart (don't ask). The shaft on all these motors is pinned with a split pin and is chemically bonded to the powerhead at the base to keep it waterproof. The top part is easy, that simply through-bolts. The wire is easy to shorten and extend at the top. I am sure you can replace the shaft, but it would take some work, unless you want to just purchase the assembled powerhead and shaft unit for big money. I could keep going but the correct course of action would be to sell the shorter motor and buy the longer one when the time comes. You'll be out a lot less money. On Farcebook there is a page dedicated to selling Minn Kota/Humminbird and a well taken care of Terrova would sell easy.

Latest posts