trolling motor location

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom q vaxy

Reaction score
from a motor longevity perspective, does it matter if the motor is pulling (bow location) or pushing (stern)?

does the motor work harder (= shorter life) and/ or use more juice in either location?

not concerned about convenience, as buying a new motor prematurely or rowing home because the batteries went kaputski will erase any minor ease of use.

this will not be for fishing, just gunk-holing on a lazy afternoon. maybe getting home ahead of the thunderhead, too, if the planner/ navigator turns in a really bad performance.

I don't know that it makes much of a difference.

Boat control is way more precise with it on the front. Handling a boat in heavy winds using a transom mount can be like pushing a rope, with the wind tossing the bow around.

However, without a bow plate and sometimes a front deck, putting a bow mount troller on a tin boat can be a bit of a chore.

thanks. that incentive to put 'er on the bow for sure. the initial installation effort would be quickly forgiven if it improved handling as you indicated.

I agree with Mr G. I would think the bow mounted motor would work less if there is any breeze.

One thing though, it is hard to get up on a plane with the trolling motor deployed on the bow. Let's just say I knew a guy that forgot to raise it once. Haha.

good "pro-tip"; i'll put that one in the vault.

Q: shaft length - how is it calculated? and, follow up question - if it isn't a single answer on length, what benefits or adversities stem from altering the length and subsequent immersion depth?

When I bought my TM, I selected a shaft length that would keep the top of the motor at least 12" under water. That was per Minn Kota.

Here are a few screen shots from Minn Kota's buyer's guide that might be useful:

Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 10.44.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 10.44.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 10.44.50 PM.png

Latest posts