Wiring Help: Ignition / Kill Switch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makaw

Reaction score
I have many skills, but electrical is most certainly not one of them. I’m having a bugger of a time getting the proper configuration on the addition of a kill switch for my old Starcraft. If someone would be so kind as to sketch me out the proper connection setup (electrical visuals are more helpful for me), I would be forever grateful.

If any other info would be helpful for a response, let me know. Here’s a bit of info that could be relevant. It’s a forward-steer boat with the original wiring harness, ignition switch and choke switch. The ignition is technically a push-to-choke, but it doesn’t seem to work (already tried). It’s had a separate choke switch since I was a kid. I’d like to keep it in the same configuration for now, just with the kill switch addition. I’ve already made various attempts to install and can’t seem to get it working correctly (I have to turn off the ignition AND pull the kill switch to shut off the engine).

Here is the diagram on the stock wiring setup. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• AF796CC2-67F0-4C52-938D-EC2E66CFDC6C.jpeg
    AF796CC2-67F0-4C52-938D-EC2E66CFDC6C.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 518
Unfortunately there is no color differentiation between the two black wires. Would it make a difference if they were switched from standard? I’m not presuming that it is wired correctly, especially since the kill switch issue was magneto related.

Typically kill on OMCs is black/yellow, ignition is stopped when that wire is grounded.

I would get a volt meter and start seeing what each wire does, what you'll likely see is a switched +12v wire for gauges, a tach lead, a ground, the kill wire, and the choke wires. Sounds like your setup may already be somewhat home-brewed, looking at the factory diagrams may not be all that helpful.

From there it is just a matter of identifying the kill wire and putting it on the appropriate ignition switch terminal (grounded with the switch off).

Many thanks to everyone for the input. It sounds like digging out the mulimeter and spending some time assessing the current setup is the best solution before trying to move forward.

Latest posts