Bear trailer issue

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29

Reaction score
This morning while towing to my local lake, the hitch cap came undone from the hitch and sent the trailer tongue crashing to the road.
With the assistance of a couple of guys I was able to get the trailer back onto hitch and get home. This is the second time that it’s happened. The first time, it was in the lake parking lot and I thought it was just a couple of jokers. This time there was no mistaking it, the trailer and hitch separated.
I’m a checklister and go over step when getting ready for the trip, I KNOW the hitch and trailer were attached when I left.
When I got home, I looked under the hitch and noticed the nut underneath where the ball goes was loose. Is possible that’s what caused it?
Any ideas?
thanks

That's exactly the problem

With the nut loose, the lip that presses against the ball when you close the latch isn't tight to the ball. You need to put the trailer on the hitch, close the latch, then tighten that nut until the lip is just snug to the ball...not cranked down hard.

If the nut is loosening on it's own - lock nut and/or Locktite Threadlocker Red

Yikes, that is kind of scary.

What do you mean by "hitch cap"? I'm visualizing the coupler separating from the ball. And, that the nut under the wedge part that latches the coupler to the ball was loose. It shouldn't be loose when the trailer is hitched up. First thing I would check is to make sure the ball and coupler sizes are the same. Additionally, I would check if the wedge that latches under the ball got bent, broken, or turned sideways when you hitched up the trailer? I would remove that nut and the latch to give it a good inspection. Replacements are available.

Oops, MN Fisher's post came through while I was pressing send. Mine has a spring between that nut and the latch. I think that is common. I wonder why a Nylock style nut isn't used.

LDUBS said:
Yikes, that is kind of scary.

What do you mean by "hitch cap"? I'm visualizing the coupler separating from the ball. And, that the nut under the wedge part that latches the coupler to the ball was loose. It shouldn't be loose when the trailer is hitched up. First thing I would check is to make sure the ball and coupler sizes are the same. Additionally, I would check if the wedge that latches under the ball got bent, broken, or turned sideways when you hitched up the trailer? I would remove that nut and the latch to give it a good inspection. Replacements are available.

Oops, MN Fisher's post came through while I was pressing send. Mine has a spring between that nut and the latch. I think that is common. I wonder why a Nylock style nut isn't used.

“Hitch cap” - that part of the thing that goes over the hitch ball and you lock the other thing and press it down and put the lock into, you know!

LDUBS said:

Mine has a flat and lock washer between the spring and the nut.

Different styles - I think newer trailers have all gone to a lock-nut, but mine is an early 70s model.

MN Fisher said:
That's exactly the problem

With the nut loose, the lip that presses against the ball when you close the latch isn't tight to the ball. You need to put the trailer on the hitch, close the latch, then tighten that nut until the lip is just snug to the ball...not cranked down hard.

If the nut is loosening on it's own - lock nut and/or Locktite Threadlocker Red

I called Dutton-Lainson, the manufacturer, the rep said the same thing. Well, the three of us can’t be wrong!
I also noticed the hitch receiver also looks a bit too large, like it wasn’t snug. I know I have a 2” ball. Just doesn’t look right.

the hammer said:
I called Dutton-Lainson, the manufacturer, the rep said the same thing. Well, the three of us can’t be wrong!
I also noticed the hitch receiver also looks a bit too large, like it wasn’t snug. I know I have a 2” ball. Just doesn’t look right.

Could the coupler be for a 2-5/16 ball? That's the next size up.

MN Fisher said:
the hammer said:

Could the coupler be for a 2-5/16 ball? That's the next size up.

I don’t think so. Looks like 2 1/8 but both coupler and ball say 2”.

the hammer said:

Okay - well until the latch is closed and properly set, a 2" ball in a 2" coupler will feel loose.

If the nut won't tighten to the point that the coupler can still come off the ball - need to replace the coupler-mechanism...not the whole coupler - you can get a coupler repair kit for about $12 or less that replaces all the moving parts.

MN Fisher said:
the hammer said:

Okay - well until the latch is closed and properly set, a 2" ball in a 2" coupler will feel loose.

If the nut won't tighten to the point that the coupler can still come off the ball - need to replace the coupler-mechanism...not the whole coupler - you can get a coupler repair kit for about $12 or less that replaces all the moving parts.

The guy I talked to said that is available.

MN Fisher said:
the hammer said:

Do you think it would be a good idea to preemptively just get the kit?

the hammer said:

Probably couldn't hurt - usually includes instruction on how to set it properly too...tight enough to hold, loose enough that the ball can swivel in the coupler for turns.

MN Fisher said:
the hammer said:

Probably couldn't hurt - usually includes instruction on how to set it properly too...tight enough to hold, loose enough that the ball can swivel in the coupler for turns.

I’m actually going to do a bit more inspecting before I go further beyond the winch I’m replacing. The whole bow area deck and hull, trolling motor bolts and nuts, contents of storage lockers, livewell hose (it’s located on the bow deck, bow mounted depth finder, last but certainly not least, fuel tank. G3 had their fuel tank near the front deck. I didn’t smell gas during the day but …

A few pix of the hitch underside after I adjusted.

Attachments

• C33FF7E3-D8CA-4B96-A308-B51E60D03335.jpeg
    C33FF7E3-D8CA-4B96-A308-B51E60D03335.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 557
  • CFFFAC74-49A9-4329-A045-F0A4BA66984D.jpeg
    CFFFAC74-49A9-4329-A045-F0A4BA66984D.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 558
  • 228A47F7-13C4-4698-821F-290954A892ED.jpeg
    228A47F7-13C4-4698-821F-290954A892ED.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 558
I tried lifting the tongue off the hitch by raising the trailer jack but I don’t know if that would really prove anything.

the hammer said:
Just a regular nut.

That's probably the issue - unless it's a lock-nut or at least has a lock washer, the vibration of carting it down the road will loosen the nut and could possibly cause you to lose the trailer on a bump.

Just go with a lock-nut...solves a lot of the issues.

Note: While the boat I picked up had a lock washer on the coupler mechanism, I replaced the regular nut and lock washer with a lock-nut.

Latest posts