On Board chargers -

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29

Reaction score
Are they worth it?
I have two portable chargers for my three batteries that I use before my trips. I see a lot of dissatisfaction with on-board chargers.
One of my portable chargers is on it’s last legs, should I just by another or is an onboard charger worth it?
Thanks

the hammer said:
Are they worth it?
I have two portable chargers for my three batteries that I use before my trips. I see a lot of dissatisfaction with on-board chargers.
One of my portable chargers is on it’s last legs, should I just by another or is an onboard charger worth it?
Thanks

Another board I'm on - the recommendation is to stick to these three brands.
Pro Mariner
Noco
Minn Kota

I'm actually looking at a Noco for the F-9 rebuild

If you're just charging one battery, not really. It's easy enough to rig up a quick connect harness. Get a digital charger that's at least 4 amps and run with it.

It's when you're charging 2 or more that they become worth it IMO. Each battery gets topped up and charged equally, without the hassle of swapping a charger around.

Battery chargers as a whole seem to be unreliable nowadays. I've had a Promariner for almost three years now and it's been fine. I only leave it plugged in long enough to charge fully and then unplug it. I think leaving them plugged in is a mistake.

These chargers stay on your boat or are they attached to your garage wall?

MrGiggles said:
If you're just charging one battery, not really. It's easy enough to rig up a quick connect harness. Get a digital charger that's at least 4 amps and run with it.

It's when you're charging 2 or more that they become worth it IMO. Each battery gets topped up and charged equally, without the hassle of swapping a charger around.

Battery chargers as a whole seem to be unreliable nowadays. I've had a Promariner for almost three years now and it's been fine. I only leave it plugged in long enough to charge fully and then unplug it. I think leaving them plugged in is a mistake.

I have a Minn Kota precision charger for the TM battery. I usually plug it in as soon as I get back from the lake and leave it. Minn Kota says I can leave the charger plugged in. Says it will stop charging when the battery is full then go into some kind of monitoring mode. I sure paid enough for the thing, so I hope they are right about this.

For the starter motor I have a small Noco. I usually plug it in the day before I'm heading out. I just want to make sure I have enough juice to turn the motor over a couple times.

The Minn Kota charger weighs something like 4 - 5 pounds. The small Noco weighs next to nothing.

LDUBS said:
MrGiggles said:

I have a Minn Kota precision charger for the TM battery. I usually plug it in as soon as I get back from the lake and leave it. Minn Kota says I can leave the charger plugged in. Says it will stop charging when the battery is full then go into some kind of monitoring mode. I sure paid enough for the thing, so I hope they are right about this.

For the starter motor I have a small Noco. I usually plug it in the day before I'm heading out. I just want to make sure I have enough juice to turn the motor over a couple times.

The Minn Kota charger weighs something like 4 - 5 pounds. The small Noco weighs next to nothing.

Yeah, they are made to be plugged in 24/7. I just think it's a mistake because you're leaving them open to power surges, lightning, stuff like that. There's a lot of sensitive electronics in there.

I got a feeling I would rather buy a new charger and play musical batteries than to go with an on-board charger. I’ve read too many horror stories with the reviews for even the best brands. Even if you figure 90% were user related, I’ll be an old man about it charge manually. I’m sure that’s what Hank Hill would do!

the hammer said:
I got a feeling I would rather buy a new charger and play musical batteries than to go with an on-board charger. I’ve read too many horror stories with the reviews for even the best brands. Even if you figure 90% were user related, I’ll be an old man about it charge manually. I’m sure that’s what Hank Hill would do!

"I’m sure that’s what Hank Hill would do!"

Good enough for me!

MrGiggles said:
Yeah, they are made to be plugged in 24/7. I just think it's a mistake because you're leaving them open to power surges, lightning, stuff like that. There's a lot of sensitive electronics in there.

Good point. Mine doesn't set for long period of time unused. I think I might change my habits.

I have an on board charger for the battery under a front casting deck because it's a pain to get at the battery terminal and/or remove the battery.

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk

Latest posts