When is pro install required?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29

Reaction score
I’m thinking about upgrading to a “7” level fishfinder. I’m hoping I can use the current bracket (transom). At what point should one “bite the bullet” and have the electronics installed professionally?
Thanks

Off the top of my head thoughts. If an upgrade, then you might already have clean power to where the unit will be mounted. So that part is easy (don't forget to include the recommended fuse). All that is really left is to run the transducer cable and mount the transducer. If the old bracket won't work, perhaps the same connection points can still be used.

When it comes to making sure the transducer is pointing straight down, there is a cool method using some coins and a torpedo level on the boat's gunnel. Easy to find on you tube.

All assumes you are comfortable with some basic wiring connections.

I guess I would call in a Pro if I was afraid I would screw something up or didn't understand what was needed.

The only time I could see it is if you were networking a bunch of stuff, like multiple graphs and a trolling motor all tied together. A pro would know all of the necessary cables and hubs to make it all work together.

Otherwise it's not rocket science. Just power/ground and run the transducer cable.

I just remembered I called Garmin and the rep said it’s possible the current transducer might be compatible with the new one. If not, the bracket could be compatible. If that’s not compatible, it would still be similar enough it wouldn’t require a lot of “caulk” (I can’t remember the term he used)

MrGiggles said:
The only time I could see it is if you were networking a bunch of stuff, like multiple graphs and a trolling motor all tied together. A pro would know all of the necessary cables and hubs to make it all work together.

Otherwise it's not rocket science. Just power/ground and run the transducer cable.

That is a very good point and applicable to someone like me. When these high tech discussions happen I feel like I'm in a room with people speaking another language.

the hammer said:
I just remembered I called Garmin and the rep said it’s possible the current transducer might be compatible with the new one. If not, the bracket could be compatible. If that’s not compatible, it would still be similar enough it wouldn’t require a lot of “caulk” (I can’t remember the term he used)

That is some good news!

LDUBS said:
the hammer said:

That is some good news!

A .333 batting average would make any player happy!

Latest posts