Training Pups & Relic Hunting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BAY BEAGLE

Reaction score
I did not see any activity regarding a hobby that I have been doing since I was 12 years old. I luv to hunt and enjoy hunting with dogs. Building a pack of rabbit dogs or deer dogs takes time and patience.
To me, nothing is any finer, than rabbit hunting and hearing a pack of pups giving chase. Each pup had it's own "cry", and I could tell by the chase where each pup was, or how involved it was in the pursuit of Mr. Rabbit.
My Dad was big into it, and His father (my Grandfather) was too. Pretty much grew up with it, and it got into my blood.
I'm not about the kill, but we kill a few in front of the pups to keep them focused.
At 35 years old, I bought my farm. It was a working farm, until I retired, with 50 head of cow/calves. I held back 30 acres, just to let it overgrow with vegetation and honeysuckle for the bunnies. This is where I train and work and break the pups from running trash.

Another passion of mine, that I have been doing since my early years; is relic hunting. Being I live east of Richmond Va, alot of ground was covered by both Union and Confederate Soilders - that is another story.

I just don't have knack or maybe patience needed to train a dog beyond the basics needed for polite society ( :LOL2: ). About 50 years ago I got the chance to experience pheasant hunting with some well trained bird dogs. I remember the dog kept looking back over his shoulder to make sure I was still there. I guess he was training me. :LOL2:

I've posted a few times how much fun we had hunting for lures along the banks when we were kids. I think I would enjoy that now at 70.

Yes Sir: in my 50 years of relic hunting, I have accumulated quite a collection of Civil War artifacts. Belt buckles, insignia wear, bullets and mini balls, spurs, bayonets, jewelry, buttons, silver coins ...... list goes on.
The fun part is the research. Going over old maps, County records, diarys, historical records, etc. Then boots to the ground looking for old home sites, intrenchments, old road beds, non native vegetation, etc. The rewards are finding items, from all that research.

And what machine might you use?
Me, I've just got a little old Ace 350.
And might you frequent here? https://metaldetectingforum.com/

Roger

I'd like to have a dog for retrieving ducks but I don't know the first thing about training one to do it. I've seen one guy around here that runs beagles, I assume he's running rabbits. It's fun to hear them "singing" when they get on one. I'd be afraid that they'd get so into the chase I'd have to hunt them down to go back home!

GTS225 said:
And what machine might you use?
Me, I've just got a little old Ace 350.
And might you frequent here? https://metaldetectingforum.com/

Roger

Roger:
I just purchased a new one - XP DEUS .....because it is lighter, and up to date in technology. I have had the Minelab, Whites, Natulas, threw the years.

TREASURENET.COM is where I hang, and reap information.

eeshaw said:
I'd like to have a dog for retrieving ducks but I don't know the first thing about training one to do it. I've seen one guy around here that runs beagles, I assume he's running rabbits. It's fun to hear them "singing" when they get on one. I'd be afraid that they'd get so into the chase I'd have to hunt them down to go back home!
We have come a long ways, in regards to training and working Dogs. The tracking collars that are used, helps us watch the dogs on a handheld. Be able to correct the Pup, if it's wondering off, or running trash. We can tone the Pup, when it is time to call it a day.
My biggest enjoyment is raising them from when they are weaned, to traing them to hunt, and respond when needed.

Latest posts