Let’s talk flotation?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
5f5087e6e3cc938c8e6a12b2585f63ff.jpg

OOooo.....all the pretty colors! No reason it won't work, but you do sacrificce a little flotation space in the hollow center of the noodles.
How does it compare, economically, to the cost of sheet foam from Menard's/HD/Lowe's? (I'll concede that I haven't priced that in a long time.)

Roger

I do not believe it would pass an inspection by any insurance company or the coast guard. Somewhat like replacing an airbag with a child's balloon

You've got too much empty volume in the spaces previously filled with foam. Assuming the noodle is 2" round with a 1/2" hole down the center you've got 41% less foam in the same volume of space below your floor, so you will need to add a considerable amount of foam to other areas to achieve the same amount of emergency flotation support.

Furthermore, your hull is not getting any structural support from the expanded foam fully filing the voids and bearing against the outer hull skin the entire way, so you're more prone to developing cracks along the ribs and other hard support points where the frame meets the hull skin now that those areas are more free to flex.

Latest posts