Old Alumacraft Shallow V, New Design

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Buck

Reaction score
I finally bought one. I got this from a guy off of Craigs List for $500.00. It came with an 18 Horse Johnson, which a few guys have already told me how to convert that to a newer fuel line, thanks for that. I have not yet came up with an exact idea of what I want to do but I have started to paint. I have just got the bottom of the boat primered and hope to have it painted in the next couple of weeks. Time is short being deer season and all. If you have any ideas, please feel free to let me know. I plan on running a deck across the first two seats and a back deck and leaving just the section from the back seat to the next open. I would like to put the battery towards the front and put a trolling motor up front, a hand controlled for now, hopefully later I can upgrade to a foot controlled. I will try and keep pictures coming as I continue to work on it. I can't wait to get her finished. My goal is to have it completed by the spring crappie bite.
Boat1.jpgBoat 2.jpgBoat 3.jpgBoat 4.jpgBoat 5.jpgBoat 6.jpg

Attachments

• Boat 7.jpg
    Boat 7.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 4,261
Sweet deal! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

If you want a suggestion on how to paint it. Maybe go with colors that represents something that you are into. Like a football teams colors, school colors... etc.

You are probably going to be more happy with that hand controlled TM as opposed to the foot control... if you do a foot control, make sure you set your front seat back far enough so that you have enough room to move it around and can get comfortable... that's something I messed up on big time. If you do end up doing a foot controlled, you might want to consider pre building a recessed box/hole in your front deck to put it

Nice rig!

I think your idea is perfect - deck from the middle forward and put in a pedestal seat. I suggest putting a low deck in the rear just so the floor is level.

If you move the batter forward build the battery compartment large enough to hold two batteries (or make two compartments) that way when you add a trolling motor you can install a dedicated battery.

Also, run a section of PVC pipe under teh deck on each side so you can easily bring electrical wires under the deck without having to remove everything

I am planning on running all eletrical to a fuse panel/switchboard back by the seat by the motor that way I can turn on/off my lights, areator, etc and then run a plug in to the front for the trolling motor and then also installing a 12 volt plug to run a spot light, etc. The pvc pipe will work great to keep the wires neet, dry and out of the way. Thanks for the input.

My boat does not have a drain either. Would you suggest just putting in a drain plug in the back at the bottom of the boat, or just put a bilge pump and putting a drain towards the top of the transom. I also need to put a drain for the livewell. I hope you guys have some ideas for me.

Also, I am sure someone has said something on here about a good paint to use, but i can not find a post on here. I am not wanting to spend alot and plan on using my wagnor power painter to paint it. Does anyone have a good paint brand to use. Can I use just regular outdoor paint? Or is there a special brand that I need to use?

Thanks

I brought this up recently about using tractor and implement paint.Just don't forget to use the recommended hardner as directed.Here's the link.There are others in the list of modded boats.

https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5338&hilit=tractor+paint

I have been reading and from what I have seen everyone recommends zinc cromite primer. Does this have to be used? I just used regular automotive primer in a spray can from O'Riley's. Will this not work? I hope that it will be ok, i really don't want to have to start all over.

Thanks

As long as the hull was prep properly and the primer mixed and applied properly it should be fine.Auto paints don't do well submerged in water.Primer will be covered by paint so it's should be ok.

Well I found time this weekend to get my first coat of paint on the old boat. I still have to get one more on there and I hope the weather is going to coroporate with me this weekend so I can get the final coat on. After that hopefully I can get to work on replacing the old chip board that they used on the transom. I plan on using 1/2 inch plywood, that I am going to treat and then covering that with 1/4 sheet metal and then using silcone around the edge of the sheet metal to seal off the wood. The project is coming along good so far, I also was able to pick up a livewell system this weekend and have also began work on my cooler. I got it painted tonight and also picked up a rocker swicth panel to install as well. Let me know what you guys think of the paint, I will try to get pictures of the livewell up soon.

Marc

Attachments

• Boat 8.jpg
    Boat 8.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 3,572
  • Boat 9.jpg
    Boat 9.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 3,574
  • Boat 10.jpg
    Boat 10.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 3,572
  • Boat 11.jpg
    Boat 11.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 3,573
I don't think that I am going to Camo it out. I was going for the original olive drab green that you see on jon boats. It may be a little darker, but I think that it turned out good.

ben2go said:
Looks good to me.Is that a test pond in the back ground of the third picture? :mrgreen:

It is our pond, and I am planning on trying the boat out down there. It's nice to have a pond for stuff like that. Now if I could just get some fish for it we would be all set.

Well I was able to find time last night to finish up my livewell. I have posted pics below. I bought a livewell kit from Basspro over the weekend and just used an old cooler that I had and painted it to match the boat. The only bad thing about the pump I got is that I have to manually fill the livewell. It will only pump water out, but oh well for now it will work.

I also took the handles off as you can see in the last picture and going to use those for bungee strap holders. I think that they will work perfectly. I am going to paint those as well to match the cooler, not really sure what I was thinking when i taped those up. It don't even look right, lol.

Attachments

• Livewell 2.jpg
    Livewell 2.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,343
  • Livewell 3.jpg
    Livewell 3.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,343
  • Livewell 1.jpg
    Livewell 1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,348
  • Livewell 4.jpg
    Livewell 4.jpg