Rebirth of the Tin

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darn shame we have to concentrate on making a living sometimes.Your boat is looking nice,I'm sure you will be thinking of mods while your working.

The weather was so nice today, I couldn't help myself but do something on the boat. One of the best things about Modding your own boat, is that you can make changes on the fly. I took a seat and pedestal off my glass boat, measured the tiller handle and placed the seat in the approximate area I would need a pedestal base. With all original aluminum still temped in place in the rear of the boat, I checked the amount of room I would have IF I left the sidewalls in place for storage compartments. It was cramped to a point and I first decided to go without any of it. Then thinking about it longer, I plan to do most my fishing from the front of the boat anyway. I normally go out by myself. I decided to leave it in and just modify the port side to allow room for the 6 gallon tank. There is still enough room to fish out of the back seat. I'll stick two seat bases back there, one for fishing and one for while underway.

After I finally made up my mind, I started cutting, drilling, fabbing parts for the fuel area. It's all I got done, but I can start to see the final product.

Boat001-3.jpg

Boat003-3.jpg

Boat002-2.jpg

I'll save myself a bit of work, and have some decent storage.

Nice Project and work. Oh and nice Clecos :D I was sheet metal in the AF

I know this probally at silly question, but what are those things sticking up everywhere. Are those some kind of Rivot or something? Just a little curious.

Clecos. They hold the metal together after you drill a hole.

sac said:
Clecos. They hold the metal together after you drill a hole.

We used thousands of them on aircraft to hold the sheet aluminum while we rivet it all together.They keep every thing exactly where you put it.Measure 10 times and cut once. :LOL2:

Big Buck said:
I know this probally at silly question, but what are those things sticking up everywhere. Are those some kind of Rivot or something? Just a little curious.
The greatest thing made if you are riveting any metal.

There is a little pair of pliers that goes with them, that grips the side, and pushes down on the button on the back. When that is depressed, the front squeezes together, so it will fit in the rivet hole. Then, by releasing the pressure on the pliers, they two tabs on the front pull apart and back, snugly holding the metal together. They are real great, as you can drill a hole, and stick it in, while drilling the next hole, so the material doesn't slip, causing the holes to not line up correctly. But, as opposed to sticking a rivet in each hole as you drill it, you can then remove the whole piece, even after the holes are drilled, to do something else behind said panel.

They were originally designed for aircraft use, but the need for them elsewhere was quickly noticed, so they are in widespread use by most any place that rivets metals, especially aluminum.

Thanks Sac and others. Glad you chimed in. I am my own inspector on this rig, and am keeping good ED, but don't think I am going to worry too much about a flunked rivet, but as long as I'm not gonna take her up to 35k' and stick massive amounts of pressure to her, it's all good. The clecos are a wonderful thing. I wish I could teach one of my 9 year olds to buck for those hard to reach spots. My cherry max gun bit the dust and may have to use a sheet metal screw at times on this boat. I've got a bit more fabbing and fitting yet to do, but it will all fall into place in time. Hopefully, my goal for the end of January will be met. Wish I could just spend all day working on it. All the other posts have been good input one way or another. I enjoy reading them.

I was able to put some more time into the back end of the boat the last few days. I've got at least two more days worth of work to complete the "rough in" of the new "tillerized" area. I've stripped all the crap off the trailer to still have it legal and delivered it to Jake so it might get sandblasted as time constraints allow. Here's the photo update of what I was able to do recently.

Boat001-4.jpg

Boat002-3.jpg

I went ahead and modified both original side panels in the back of the boat that once had urethane foam in the areas into storage boxes. I cut each side down and trimmed the scrap piece up in order to make the turn on the storage box and fasten in to an existing rib. This gives me plenty of room in the back of the boat for a 6 gallon tank, batteries, bilge pump and areator. I will also be able to access the area fairly easy to be able to bolt transducers and such. On the port side, above the fuel tank will be a small box open top to house an anchor. The Starboard side will have a hinged lid to allow easy access to the top of the Batteries for connection and charging purposes.

I used the original 5/32" Aluminum decking that was part of the underdeck for fuel and battery storage area as the new decking for the very back of the boat. Notice I cut out part of it on each side to allow plug access, and bilge placement.

Boat004-1.jpg

Boat003-4.jpg

I have quite a way to go, but each day I put into it, gets me that much closer to my desired goal. I have not purchased one thing other than screws so far on the rebuilding project. All material that has not be recycled from the boats original setup, I had on hand in the shop.

Very Nice! You got quite a hull to start with, and it looks like you're turning it into one amazing rig! Some day, I think, a deal like that will fall in my lap, and when it does, I'm gonna turn it into a fish catching machine!! In the mean time, I'm really loving turning my jon into a crappie and cat machine!

I have finally started back on the Rebirth. I am starting to push hard as I have a camping trip scheduled for the 14th of March. Here's the poop....

CrappieDentist was unable to blast the trailer for me at his work till sometime in the Summer. I picked the trailer back up and he let me borrow his portable blaster setup. It was a major pain, but not that bad and the results were great! I was able to remove all rust and paint.

One of the kids had set the camera up for B&W pics and I didn't realize it till after the SD card had been deleted. You can still tell a big difference though.

trailer001.jpg

trailer003.jpg

trailer006.jpg

trailer009.jpg

BoatTrailer007.jpg

BoatTrailer006.jpg

I'll complete the trailer with some solid sides for re-loading purposes on down the road. I don't want them in my way for now.

Before I put the boat back on the trailer, I wanted to get some more of the lower decking in. I pulled both sides of the rear decks to add doublers in the areas of the pedestal bases. I wanted to make sure I had some strength as I am going to have to used a wood screw vs. bolts to retain them. The side storage in the back really makes for a cramped area though. I am also placing all pedestal bases in the center. This allows whoever is sitting in one to be able to fish out of either side of the boat with nothing in the way. I am placing two pedestal bases in the back, one for operating the boat, the second for someone to fish out of. I moved it back towards the transom to give whoever is back there a little leg room. Most of the time, I'll be by myself, so it's no big thing. The forward section under deck was just too shallow to house a couple of batteries for the trolling motor. I've decided to stick them right under the bow cover at the front of the boat. It's a perfect fit for two! It will also add needed weight towards the front of the boat.

BoatTrailer003.jpg

BoatTrailer004.jpg

BoatTrailer005.jpg

I have the forward deck cut, lids for livewell and storage cut, am working on side panel storage to boot. I need to buy some plumbing supplies now to get the water lines run for the livewells, bilges and areators. Once that's done, I'll install the forward decking along with the lids. I still need to create a switch box for the back. I don't want any switches sticking out that can be accidently broken. I plan to do my best to have her ready for carpet sometime Sunday, but I have many things to do before then.

I can begin to see the final product in my head and it looks to be a fine machine.

Nice work. That thing is starting to look like a CAV.

Crappie Assault Vehicle.

Latest posts