Front Deck Build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim said:
flounderhead59 said:
the hammer said:
How do you plan on setting up a template to cut your deck layout?

Get a refrigerator box

That will work...good idea! :D

I've also found that to get a smoother edge when cutting a template from heavy cardboard is to use my dremmel with one of those rotosaw, spiral type cutter looking thingys (sorry that's the technical term) :D

flounderhead59 said:
Jim said:
flounderhead59 said:
Get a refrigerator box

I've also found that to get a smoother edge when cutting a template from heavy cardboard is to use my dremmel with one of those rotosaw, spiral type cutter looking thingys (sorry that's the technical term) :D

I have one of those! Almost cut my hand off one day trying to remove the diving board....dont ask. LOL!

Jim said:
I have one of those! Almost cut my hand off one day trying to remove the diving board....dont ask. LOL!

Your boat has a diving board? COOL

rhan734l.jpg

Another way to do this, is to run a line, from bow to stern, right down the centerline. Then using a chalkline, put that same line on the ply. Every six inches, take a measurement on the boat, perpendicular to the string. Then, put a mark on the plywood the same distance from the string. Then, when you are done, just "connect the dots."

Update before I run to lowes for supplies.

As you see below I'm 90 percent finished with the framing. Just need to build the support for the sides.

normal_DSC_00041594resize.JPG

normal_DSC_00031593resize.JPG

normal_DSC_00021592resize.JPG

normal_DSC_00011591resize.JPG

Jim said:
flounderhead59 said:
the hammer said:
How do you plan on setting up a template to cut your deck layout?

Get a refrigerator box

The refrigerator box sounds like a good idea, it didn't work too well for me. I even kept the box out in the rain for several times to reduce the stiffness of the cardboard.

Maybe find a roll of heavy craft/wrapping paper. It'll be easier to form it along the sides of the hull for a rough template, sketch a line with a pencil of the shape, then "finesse" it to the final shape and trim with scissors. Just a recommendation, and easier than working with cardboard.

Another way you could try would find a pair of dividers (or a school compass with pencil, lay the paper or cardboard close to the hull sides, place the pointy end of compass along the hull, then "trace" the hull shape onto the paper with the pencil portion. Just another thought.

Waterwings said:
Another way you could try would find a pair of dividers (or a school compass with pencil, lay the paper or cardboard close to the hull sides, place the pointy end of compass along the hull, then "trace" the hull shape onto the paper with the pencil portion. Just another thought.

Sort of like the way you custom fit kitchen cabinets. I suk at that too. That's man invented construction grade adhesive and caulk. :lol:

For the sides of the framing I owe it all to Waterwings! I figure if this thing works (floats) out well I owe him a day on my local lake on the front deck!

He provided a great little cad/picture of gusset to support the sides of the framing. Last night I did a test cut of the gusset. Tonight I'm going to redo my template so the angle closely follows the boats side.

normal_DSC_00011597resize.JPG

BETA GUSSET 1.0

Looks great. That thing is going to be bombproof. I like to use CAD to figure out stuff like that too...it makes me feel professional...plus you can get the exact dimensions before you start.

nicdicarlo said:
Looks great. That thing is going to be bombproof. I like to use CAD to figure out stuff like that too...it makes me feel professional...plus you can get the exact dimensions before you start.

NicD
You have access to and the ability to use CAD? I have a project in my driveway

I will use aluminum supports - but same idea as what is done above

I use AutoCAD a lot on my computer at work. I'm not a trained drafter, but I have a pretty good knowledge of the program and can create pretty nice figures. I made a nice layout of my crawdad in preparation for building the new flooring. PM me if you want me to whip something up for you...I'm always looking for stuff to do at work thats not actually work related. :twisted:

Latest posts