Rebirth of the Tin

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are doing a fantastic job! Your level of workmanship is very thorough. I agree with Russ, this is going to be killer when its done. You also are a motivation to me, because I'm so close, and I wanted it done by now, so I really need to get moving!! Keep up the great work.

Started the Plumbing last night. After 3 trips to Home Depot and Lowes, I thought I had what I needed to get to the point of fastening the forward deck into position. I was able to run some 3/4" pvc, but found I was short certain things. I plan to PU what I need on my way home tonight and get back after it. I am pushing for a March 11th completion date as I have a camping trip scheduled for the 13th. I want at least one day of on the water testing before I head for the campsite. It will give me the 12th to work out any kinks. Even if I don't have her complete by then, I hope to have it at least functional. Switches and final wiring connections can wait if need be. I can temp all that stuff in for the trip. But, if the weather holds up like it has, I should be able to have her dang near done on time.

Went to Mizzou for Neices wedding yesterday. Been running some pipe in the boat for the bilge and areators. Everything is 3/4" schedule 40 pvc and reinforced 3/4" hose. I ran the rigid pvc everywhere I could so as not to have a hose close up on me where I couldn't reach it without tearing something out.

The front livewell I built sits too low to be able to drain it like a normal livewell. I have chosen to run a drain line towards the back connected to a shutoff valve then a Tee, the down to the bilge pump. The other side of the Tee has another shutoff valve then has a capped end with holes drilled on the underside to act as a recirculator to areate the water. The inflow comes from the areator at the back of the boat (with inline shutoff) and a 90% turned down to simply fill the livewell. I must be carefull to not leave the areator on too long or I will overfill the livewell. I have a float switch I might connect to the bilge pump to drain or am considering an audible alarm (quiet) to play while the areator is running.

Here's the pics, you can figure out what's what.

boatplumbing018.jpg

boatplumbing014.jpg

boatplumbing015.jpg

boatplumbing016.jpg

boatplumbing019.jpg

I'm short one cap on the areator line in the Starboard livewell, but will pick one up tommorrow.

Next job is to figure exactly how many switches, wires, and what not is needed, then to get the rough in done on Electrical. Only then can I cap off the front deck and start final Metal work. I'll be very lucky to be able to lay some carpet this week. I am really trying to push this thing so I can make the Eufaula gig. Wish me luck!

CrappieReaper said:
I forgot to mention that I plan to turn this boat into a tiller model. I want as much room inside the boat as possible. I came close to modifying it into a center console, but decided a tiller would be best. I currently have a '98, 60hp Mercury tiller that will do the trick.

You should be in jail-Because you stole that boat! =D> It's kind of ironic, I have a boat project (14' shallow V) in which I am trying to install a center console in a boat that had none & is more suited for a tiller & you are doing just the opposite. :-k I know you want more room but, I'd seriously think about keeping or re-vamping that console system. Btw, just curious, whatcha planning on doing with the OB that came with that boat (especially since it ran so well after sitting for so long)?

BloodStone said:
CrappieReaper said:
I forgot to mention that I plan to turn this boat into a tiller model. I want as much room inside the boat as possible. I came close to modifying it into a center console, but decided a tiller would be best. I currently have a '98, 60hp Mercury tiller that will do the trick.

You should be in jail-Because you stole that boat! =D> It's kind of ironic, I have a boat project (14' shallow V) in which I am trying to install a center console in a boat that had none & is more suited for a tiller & you are doing just the opposite. :-k I know you want more room but, I'd seriously think about keeping or re-vamping that console system. Btw, just curious, whatcha planning on doing with the OB that came with that boat (especially since it ran so well after sitting for so long)?

First off, I have over 35' of 3/4" Schedule 40 in the boat.

The Mariner motor that came with it has been listed on Craigslist for the last 4 months with no serious inquirys other than one that was looking to lighten the weight of his 75hp. I have the motor listed for $775.00, it comes with the remote and stainless prop. The package is worth more as I have sold a 74, 50hp Merc on ebay for $750 just three years ago and a fellow from TN drove over to pick it up. I had a call on the motor last night with the guy wanting to trade guns, or a night scope for a rifle, and other hunting gear. I am not interested in trading for anything other than cash. I can't sell the guns on craigslist or ebay and I don't need them. I told him I would take $700. I also told him that I would suggest going through both carbs since the motor has so many "sitting" years just to make sure there is no dried up crap inside them. A new set of gaskets wouldn't hurt either as the old ones are most likely too dry from the years. One cylinder has 115 lbs compression, and the other is holding at 118 lbs. That's very balanced for a motor that old, ('82). With the 7+ years it has sit, to me makes it almost an '89 model. The guy who previously owned the boat really didn't know what he had.

Looks good.

I would like to point out something on the plumbing, can't really tell from the pics (cameras don't do angles well). Make sure that ALL the lines can drain good. Otherwise you'll be doing alot of repairs if water stands in them and freezes. Or you'll be out on the water, go to fill up the livewells and end up filling up the boat instead. I would hate to see a good days fishing ruined by a busted pipe.

Not cutting down on you're work, just trying to help save some trouble.

And if you're already aware of this, disreguard this post.

Long day today. I was able to install the front deck with it's hinges, and install the side storage panels.

BoatFrontDeck005.jpg

BoatFrontDeck006.jpg

I have a bit more of sheet metal work, some chases to build, and then I should be ready for some carpet.

Let me start off by saying again... WoW! You are building a fishing machine! I noticed your wood is cut to fit just right, but are you planning on carpetting it while the wood is in the boat? Seems like most people wrapped the carpet on the edges of the wood, and was wondering if that was your plan or not? Again, WoW!

baptistpreach said:
Let me start off by saying again... WoW! You are building a fishing machine! I noticed your wood is cut to fit just right, but are you planning on carpetting it while the wood is in the boat? Seems like most people wrapped the carpet on the edges of the wood, and was wondering if that was your plan or not? Again, WoW!

Preach, to be honest, this is basically a temporary forward decking. I'm trying to slam this thing together for the upcoming season and make the camping trip that I am supposed to go on next Friday. I will be looking for another material for final deck. It's all removable. I don't plan on wrapping the carpet around the lid openings. The lids are bolted from top to bottom and I can remove them anytime to make adjustments to size. I would like to find some type of edge channel that I could wrap the plywood and carpet edges. I can trim the lids to whatever size I need to make room for any edge trim. Right now my goal is clean and functional. Gitter done is my current motto and quality will unfortunately have to be compromised for now. I can backtrack at a later time and make things right. I still have more metal to do, more plywood to cut and install, carpet, switches, top out of the wiring, Trolling Motor, Two graphs, GPS, transducers, 60hp Merc, etc.

I've got my work cut out for me during the next 7 days. There is a good chance that I'll end up just wiring in the switches temporarily without build the switch boxs yet. I will deal with them one way or another.

I recently sold my old '98 PU that's been taking up the garage. Moving the boat in to work on it helps my progress an awful lot.

baptistpreach said:
Hey, what's the model of the boat and the size of it (length and width of floor)?

The boat is an '80, Travler Sea Nymph. I am fairly sure it was one of the possible prototypes for the Bass Tracker and they didn't get the bid. Could have been that it was "too much boat" in my opinion. This boat was very well made.

She is 16'4" from top of transom to tip of bow.
The rear deck is 50" wide at the floor and 72" wide up top.
The middle deck is 48" at the floor.
The front deck has 44" between the side storage panels on top of the deck worth of floor space.
The sidewalls are 24" deep.

Like I said early is this thread, I wanted the safety and stability. This is why I haven't raised the deck at all. Matter of fact, I lowered the midsection somewhat by removing the leveling braces that were originally in it and let the deck go with the flow of the ribs. IE, I have a slight "V" in the mid deck flooring which does not bother me at all.

I want to thank everyone for their input and the ideas just from looking over the other threads.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
I'm wicked impressed! Well done. You may have already said it but I haven't read the entire post yet. Do you have a rough estimate on how much you've put into it?
Gabriel

yjsaindon said:
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
I'm wicked impressed! Well done. You may have already said it but I haven't read the entire post yet. Do you have a rough estimate on how much you've put into it?
Gabriel

Gave 5 bills for the boat, sold the motor for $750. Materials so far have probably been around $170 total. I cannot find two hinges I need that are similar to the ones that were originally on the boat. (8 hours of google searching) I had most of the plywood in stock as scrap from jobs I've done. I did buy one sheet of 3/4 BC. All aluminum was with the original boat other than the front live well material which was left over from a mod 9 years ago. I had all rivets in stock. It's the little things that have added up, new trailer wiring, new bearing buddies, bolts, nuts, screws, washers, on and on. The carpet is extra from a job last year when the customer wanted a 12' x 18' area tiled once I had purchased the carpet for it.

I guess the biggest expense for it so far has been the Lowrance unit I bought back in October off ebay for $420.
I've spent more on electricity feeding the big compressor since the project began that I have on the boat itself. It's been fun.

Currently, all wood is cut to fit, most areas are ready to carpet. I need to fab a switch box and get the switches wired in so all I have to do is poke them through later. I have been trying like the dickens to have it complete by Friday morning, but have had way too many personal interuptions. I might have to make the camping trip this weekend with several things on a temporary connection.

FatherDaughterdance006.jpg

FatherDaughterdance007.jpg

Little more wood added. Then I did up a switch box along with getting some wiring done.

Switchboxes001.jpg

Switchboxes004.jpg

Switchboxes010.jpg

Switchboxes009.jpg

Switchboxes007.jpg

moreboat001.jpg

moreboat002.jpg

moreboat003.jpg

moreboat004.jpg

I still need a couple of hinges for back storage lids, may have to modify something to get the hinge I want. Also, I love the LED Courtesy lights I put in. I have them switched for front of back of boat operation. Me and two of the kids took it out for a trip Saturday afternoon. With an 18 year son and a 17 year old daughter, I was able to get her up to a little over 32m[h after trimming it out. I was impressed with the ride. I am going to be very happy with it. The bait well worked great, as well the fwd livewell. Had an impeller go out too, I changed it today. I am down to minimal sheet metal work, the missing storage lid hinges, carpet, latches and 3 finger pulls for the floor storage.

Did you ever finish your boat. I'm considering buy the same boat and would love to see your finished product.

Latest posts