Livewell Question in Arkansas Traveler V-Hull mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spanky543

Reaction score
I have built a livewell in my boat that I am modding, my 1948 Arkansas Traveler 14' V-Hull aluminum boat. I have an aerator that supplies the livewell with fresh lake water and I have a drain that drains out of the aerator supply line but I don't have an extra aerator pump to re-circulate the water in the livewell. I was wondering if anyone knew if one of the baitwell and livewell bubble/areator boxes will keep the livewell water enriched with enough oxygen to keep the fish alive when I'm out fishing. Because if that doesnt work I was thinking of getting one of the re-circulate pumps that sits in the livewell and run wires out of the livewell to the battery. Any suggestions would be great!!!

This is the little bubble box I am talking about...
Bubble Box

bubblepic1.jpg

Re-Circulate Pump
pg5pictop.jpg

I don't think the bubbles would work to keep your fish alive - it takes a lot of oxygen to keep them healthy during the dog days of summer!

As far as recirculation, I would just get a bilge pump and use 1/2 or 3/4" pvc as my tubing. It would be easy to wire to a switch, then have the power to the switch wired to the battery.

Check out the "home" page for tinboats, and look at the Livewell that is modded there - you can put the same principles to use for what you are doing

I agree with Russo1o.You could rig up a rule bilge pump to recirculate the water.That would be a lot better than a bubbler,cheaper too.Look at the live well build on the home page. https://www.tinboats.net/ Just build the system in your live well.

I have both the recirculating pump and the air pump (Triton calls the air pump the max air system :---) ) I would also just o with the add on pump.
The pump listed below is one of the best for adding O2 to the water watch the video it is great.
https://www.keepalive.net/

Wayne

The second item in my first post for the water recirculation system is a bilge pump that just suction cups itself to the bottom of the livewell. I can run the wires to the battery through a switch. And I think this will keep me from having to drill anymore holes through the livewell. Do you think this will work like the livewell systems that are on the main page.

Also will the air pump do anything in the livewell for fish?

any extra air will help but that pump will do very little.
Look at the 2 photos you can see the difference.

russ010 said:
I don't think the bubbles would work to keep your fish alive - it takes a lot of oxygen to keep them healthy during the dog days of summer!

As far as recirculation, I would just get a bilge pump and use 1/2 or 3/4" pvc as my tubing. It would be easy to wire to a switch, then have the power to the switch wired to the battery.

Check out the "home" page for tinboats, and look at the Livewell that is modded there - you can put the same principles to use for what you are doing

What he said! Basically, the second pic is a premade bilge with recirculator pipe attached.

Re-Circulate Pump
pg5pictop.jpg
[/quote]

So you guys are saying this will not keep the fish alive? Just curious, i am trying to rig up a livewell myself. Only problem is my boat was already modded when i got it, so all the carpet and everything is brand new. Im trying to figure out how to run all these pumps and pipes without ripping everything out. Something like this would be a good choice for me.....i think

spanky543, i hope you get yours figured out, i may ask a couple questions in your post if its okay. We are both looking to do the same thing, and it would keep me from starting another thread.

Both work good for there intended applications, but if you don't have a way to remove the ammonia from the water the fish will die in short order. that is why most systems not only have the recirc pump but also a way to pump fresh water in with an overflow system . that is the main reson when I built my livewell I went with the fresh water / overflow system .. I use a bilge pump to pump out the livewell and that doubles as a recirc pump when needed.

ilinimud said:
Re-Circulate Pump
pg5pictop.jpg

So you guys are saying this will not keep the fish alive? Just curious, i am trying to rig up a livewell myself. Only problem is my boat was already modded when i got it, so all the carpet and everything is brand new. Im trying to figure out how to run all these pumps and pipes without ripping everything out. Something like this would be a good choice for me.....i think

spanky543, i hope you get yours figured out, i may ask a couple questions in your post if its okay. We are both looking to do the same thing, and it would keep me from starting another thread.[/quote]
one way this will work is to keep changing the water you can use a hand pump to do this .
another idea is to just take a bilge pump add 5' of hose add to the wires and use a lighter socket t o power it fill the well by hanging it over the side then every few hours more often if bigger or a limit then drop it in the well and pump some water out and refill.
I carry one of these as a backup in case of a pump failure .

I have used a rec-pump simular to this for years now and I have no problems with fish dying. I would give the aerator a try first. If you have a problem with fish dying after that then add a fresh water pump

related topic: any thoughts on using a 5 gallon bucket with one of those suction cup aerators and a lid. not sure if it would be big enough, would only be used for crappie. just trying to save deck space.

that would be tight you won't be filling it to the top so it will be more like 3 or 4 gallons

grizzly said:
related topic: any thoughts on using a 5 gallon bucket with one of those suction cup aerators and a lid. not sure if it would be big enough, would only be used for crappie. just trying to save deck space.

If you're just saving space for them... why not put them on one of those stringers with the attachments all over them and throw them over the side of your boat... that's what I do in my other boat with bass, and I've put bass as big as 10lbs on there and it survived.. but I did give it about 10' of rope to move up or down - when it came time to move, I pulled the rope in closer to the boat so that it wouldn't get hit by the trolling motors - guess I should mention I only used a trolling motor, no gas power

yeah that's what i've done before but only had TM back then, but would like to have livewell now with my new and improved boat, guess if i'm gonna do it i'll have to use a cooler.

Thanks for your opinions redbug . I think i will just try to use the fish saver thing in some way, even if i have to bail out old water with a cup and put new in. LoL

russ010 said:
grizzly said:

If you're just saving space for them... why not put them on one of those stringers with the attachments all over them and throw them over the side of your boat... that's what I do in my other boat with bass, and I've put bass as big as 10lbs on there and it survived.. but I did give it about 10' of rope to move up or down - when it came time to move, I pulled the rope in closer to the boat so that it wouldn't get hit by the trolling motors - guess I should mention I only used a trolling motor, no gas power

Reminds me of a story involving a big bass I caught and a snapping turtle the size of a trash can lid hehe. Lets just say when we finally figured out what all of the commotion under the dock was, the bass had half a tail :shock: .

Latest posts