Today we built a trailer. Done 3-15-2009

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Between last night and tonight I got the tongue cut off, new coupling put on, wiring fished in the frame and all connected (I have lights!), safety chains and the whole shooting match. I still have a couple of details to deal with but not much. The winch mount and the bow stop still have to be built but I have got to put the boat back on to get some measurements. I guess to sum it up I can hook it to the truck tomorrow and give it a test tow. WooWhoo! Feels good to be so close to being done with at least one stage of this little undertaking. Sorry no pics tonight. I know shocking isn't it? :D Also unfortunately I found out that the paint is still soft so I had to go around and touch up some spots tonight that I chipped wiring it and drilling for lights etc. So if you use Rustoleum allow plenty of dry time and do it in warm weather.

I love having an hour for lunch and being at home for all of it. Lets just say I use it all. LOL I went home pulled the trailer out and got to a point I have been waiting for several months now. The boat is back in its resting place. I hope to finish the winch mount this weekend and call it done. Now I can start modding the boat. Ready for a new thread? :mrgreen: I seem to be on a roll now and don't want to stop.

P3130015%20copy.jpg

P3130016%20copy.jpg

P3130017%20copy.jpg

Now THAT is one beefed up transom! Excellent work!

Noticed the Sikeston drag strip in Mo. I work with a couple folk's originally from Sikeston. One (whole family) was very into drag racing there, and still does where I'm at with a 69 Chevelle (same one he had in Sikeston.)

OK other than a little bit of painting to do I'm calling this phase of my project DONE. I built my winch mount/ bow stop yesterday and this morning. And it is mounted, not sure it turned out exactly the way I wanted it but it looks like it will work fine. I'm getting ready to hook it to the ruck and go out for a little test drive. Right now it is a little light in the front (still biased a little that way though) so I figure once the boat gets heavier in the nose it should be about right.

Update: I just got back from about a 25 mile test run to my Father In Laws house only thing I needed to do was add some more grease to the wheel bearings once everything settled. Now its done.

This is pretty much it thanks for following along, now on to the next project, time to get started on the boat.

P3150022%20copy.jpg

P3150021%20copy.jpg

Honestly I think I could still cut another 12"-18" off and be good. Its like herding a tractor trailer down the road. I make wide right turns. Its still like 23' overall. #-o

I'm gonna try this for right now. I can change it later if I decide that a 2x would work out better. I have also added a 2x support under the front of the boat that isn't on it in the pics.

Just thought I'd update this thread. I have pulled this little jewel a ton this summer and it pulls great. Knowing what I know now there is no way I would shorten the tongue any more than I did. Boat loads very easy and rides like a dream. Also wanted to add the spindle seals that I got from Bearing Buddy worked great. The spindle seal surfaces were chewed up pretty bad and these things saved them. They have been in and out of the water more times than I can count now and they are just as smooth and clean as they were when I put it together.

Latest posts