'67 14' Alumacraft Shallow V and Trailer remodel.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hanr3 said:
3/5/09 update.
I tried to cut out the transom Tuesday night, however my 15 yearo old Craftsman jig saw gave up the ghost. Bought a new one last night.
View attachment 1

Tonight I got back to work on the transom. She is all cut, shaped, and sanded to size.

love what you did with the transom, what type of wood is that? i want to get the same thickness, but i dont know where to find it, a friend of mine mention i should get bus bench wood, hey are really good, but i cant find that thickness.

There should be major progress this weekend. I'll try to post updates every night.

I work for a company that makes patterns for foundry castings, the castings are then poured and returned to us and we machine to a finished part. I got the wood from work.

You can buy what is called 5/4 (5 quarter) lumber from any decent lumber company, not your local home imrovement center. A real lumber yard. This particular piece of wood is Mahagony. Mahaganoy and White Oak are the preferred woods of choice for boat transoms. They are strong and resist rot.

:-# You didn't hear this from me. However said Uncle fished on lakes that had a hp restriction. He changed the cover from the 18hp to a 10hp cover. I did the research and it is in fact a 18hp motor. Model FD-11.

What year is that Johnson 18 hp? And is it a bitc_ to pull start? I just picked up an 18 hp Evinrude (and it has QUITE the resistence when attempting to pull start it & no it's not in gear :lol: ) Also I am trying to go the electric start route (bodes better for the console I plan on putting in the boat). IF I can find a flywheel & starter that is. [-o<

FD11 made in 1957. Its not too bad to pull start once you get it warmed up. It'll fire and run on first pull once warmed up. My first mod the engine will be a fuel pump so I dont ahve to use the vaccum gas tank. Electric start would be an awesome upgrade as well.

Generally high compression is a good thing, makes pull starting a bit rough but it means the piston rings and cylindar walls are in good shape.

Update 3/8/09
It was a rough weekend to get any work done. Betweent eh Thunder and lightening storms, tornado warnings (really high winds) and family obligations I managed to squek about 8-10 hours garage time.

In reviewing other peoples work on their mods I decided to take a different approch to putting in a flat bottom. I ran 3 2x4" from bow to stern. I'll go into more details on that when I have pictures to share. For right now the three 2x4 are under the deck and the deck is resting comfortable on top.
3-2-09 004.jpg
DSCF1476.JPG

Stern of the boat and from what I started with to where I am right now.
3-2-09 002.jpg
DSCF1479.JPG

I roughed in teh front deck storage area. The pic below is an overhead shot. Note the foam flotation in the front, next is my anchor storage pcket, and finally the last section will be for fishing gear. I laid a plastic tackle box in there so you get an idea how big it is. I expect to place 4 of those plastic boxes in the top half and the bottom half will be general storage. Rain suits, lifejackets, etc.
DSCF1478.JPG

See any flaws at this point? Nothing is fastened in place. Right now everything is just resting in place. I am going to rough it all out, take it all apart, polyurathane everything and then fasten it all together, then carpet.

Couple of things I still have to work out are the hatch on the front strorage and the box around the livewell seat base/battery storage. Got any suggestions?

Update 3/16/09

After last weekes update I got to looking at all the wasted space in that plan. Desided I needed to change the plan and went with three side by side compartments instead. The starboard side will be for my anchor, the center will be for plastic tackle trays, and the port side will be for whatever. I started to build the support structure and wasn't happy witht he way it was coming out. Just seemed to flimsy. So I remodeled that idea into my current version. Its still not perfect, but after a week of messing around with it, I will settle. I say settle because I am an amatur wood worker. Like I told a wood working buddy of mine. It aint pretty but its functional. I also told him I could get a straight angle to save my life, and its hell trying to build something when there isn't a striaght angle anywere. This deck support structure is totally freehand and not my better work. The only saving grace is once the top and face boards are in place most of the butchery will be hidden. I still have one mod to do to it before I drop it into place, and that will give it more support and tie into where the front seat used to go. you'll get a better idea once its in place. However tonights updates are:

3-16-09 003.jpg

3-16-09 004.jpg

3-16-09 001.jpg

3-16-09 005.jpg

3-16-09 006.jpg

I have two coats of polyurathance on the front deck support structure. That is pretty much done until I install the carpet. This week I plan to get the main deck finished up and back in the boat. I also plan to make a center section for my batteries (seat on top), cooler (drinks,lunch), livewell, and gear storage. It'll be about 5' long and about 14" wide.

While workin on the boat I have determined that at least three other people have owned it before me. My wifes uncle (who I bought it from), some guy who carved his name and SSN, and some guy named JC. I knew my boat was old, but never would have guessed Jesus used it to feed the deciples. :mrgreen:

cant wait to see the finish product,, i myself have a alumacraft, and im dying to work on the floor, soo thanks for the idea!!

Thanks for the Kudo's.

Update:

I didn't spend but an hour or so in the garage tonight. I put the first coat of paint on the bottom side of the floor/deck. then decided to have a homemade beer. Unfortunately I drained the 5 gallon keg tonight. I guess that means I have to brew more beer this weekend. :mrgreen:

On to the pics:

3-17-09 001.jpg
3-17-09 002.jpg
3-17-09 007.jpg

Update 3/21/09

Progress was slow this week and today I got alot done.
during the week I put on two coats of the safety yellow enamel paint on both sides of the floor. This morning I swung by Lowes and picked up 7 linear feet of marine backed outdoor carpet and some other supplies. I had contact cement from when I redid my kitchen counter tops last summer. I think it was last summer, maybe it was the year before, yea it was two years ago, last summer I installed new windows and remodeld the basement. I had about 5/8 of a gallon left. I managed to get the carpet installed and the floor back in the boat.

On to the pics.
3-21-09 001.jpg
3-21-09 002.jpg
3-21-09 003.jpg
3-21-09 004.jpg
3-21-09 005.jpg

Part 2 of today's update.

I had my youngest son (21) help me flip the floor over and slide it back into the boat.

3-21-09 008.jpg
3-21-09 006.jpg
3-21-09 007.jpg

I have been working on the front cover to the front deck. No pics, hothing really to show unless you want to see some pieces of wood in clamps. I did mangae to break the front cover into two pieces. Now I have to fashion up a trim board to cover my opps.

I have been mulling over the battery, livewell box off and on all week. the batteries will go under the front seat, the livewell behind it. At one point I thought about putting a small drink cooler between the battery and livewell. Plus I have alos been kicking around the idea of a storage box at the livewell end. My latest thought is the batter box, livewell, and the electrical control center with a small lock box for my registration etc. I have been drawing a lot of scetches on graph paper lately. Tomorrwo night I should have a visual for ya'll. :mrgreen:

Update 3/22/09

I did some more shopping, this time at Menards. Picked up a bunch of hardware for the battery/livewell/electrical control center. I spend the rest of the day cutting, notching, dadoing the sides for the box. They are clamped up and I am letting the glue dry overnight. I'll get some pics tomorrow. Hopefully tomorrow night I can finish cutting the box and get the first coat of polyurathane on it.

hi all, new to the site, but I had to say you are doing an awesome job on this boat, and the floor plan is great!

Also just want to say this site is freak'n awesome! =D>

Thanks for the kudos.

Update 3/23/09

Tonight I managed to get most of the batery/livewell/electrical section done. It's late so I'll skip to the pics.
3-23-09 002.jpg
3-23-09 001.jpg
3-23-09 003.jpg
3-23-09 004.jpg

Part 2 of tonights update.

The 1/4" luan in the side panels is loose. In other words the frame boards are routed out so the 1/4" free floats. This gives the loose pieces room to expand and contract with humidity.

So what does it look like assembled?
I still have the finishing touches to add, like a top trim ring to seal off the cooler, one cross support between the battery and cooler, some carpet or luan to teh batter end piece (haven't decided yet), wire up the electrical and hang the front seat.
3-23-09 006.jpg
3-23-09 005.jpg
3-23-09 008.jpg

I went with this design for the sides to gain the room in the boat. Notice the top of the sides are up tight to the livewell while the bottom has a reinforcement 1 1/4" strip. That strip serves several purposes, it holds the batteries in place so they dont slide side to side. The strips also give me planty of places to anchor the box to teh floor in the boat. I'll show more detail of the elcetrical, and anchoring the boat seat later.

One thing I still need to hash out is anchoring the cooler to the floor. Looking for ideas?

For non-permanent anchoring of the livewell you could screw 2 eye bolts at each end into the 1 1/4" strips it rests on and run a bungee strap through the handles. This would allow you to replace it if needed or clean around it; or yank it out with you catch in it so you can clean 'em...

Latest posts