'67 14' Alumacraft Shallow V and Trailer remodel.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW! Ask and you shall recieve great detailed pics and explanations. Thanks. One question I have is about the drain line, I thought it needed to go out the boat above the water line. That could be why the overflow is not keeping up with the pump. Great work on the boat man and thanks for the ideas.

Dave

Thanks for the pictures. I see me making sidewall braces as you did 7 covering them with 1/4" ply & carpeting. Behind the ply is a good spot for floatation.

Thanks and your welcome.

I also suspect you could be right about the drain. I did whack another 1" off the top to gibe me more time before it overflows. It could also be that the overflow drain is 3/4", too small. I can still and might put in an overflow drain at the top, put in a tee and connect it to the main drain. Then I just need a plug for the lower drain. That will be easy enough to make, whack off the tube close to the bottom and put a pvc cap on it.

Tunnels, great idea to add extra floatation. I might have to use that idea.

Wow, I been so busy collecting ideas for my flatbottom I hadn't looked at v-mods. This is like an episode of extreme makeovers. Way, way past my level of expertise. Nice job.

Great thread. Thanks for posting. I am about to start modding my '73 semi-V. Just stripping it and repairing right now, but have a good idea of what I want to do to it after seeing this thread.

Alrighty folks were are almost done. I took it out today for a second round of testing. I didn't get to spend too much time on the water. However the boat works great, however there are a couple of things I need to adjust.

4-11-09 001.jpg

4-11-09 002.jpg

4-11-09 003.jpg

i was going to say the same thing " sooo jelous"" lol
i have a 12 i wish i had the space on a 12' like your 14'
but i think i will do the same floor , i dont use a livewell so i think ill have enough space for 3 seats..with a front TM (foot controlled)

right now it has 3 benches,, ill take them off! and us low pedestals

same setup but i want to be able to have my TM portable (to take it off and on) soo when there are three people i can take it off and use a hand controlled front TM , and if theres 2 people then i can put on the foot one TM

still trying to figur out how i can modified the front there isnt enough space to put the mount on so i have to rig someting up,,
i tried once with wood and brackets and my TM started to get lose and it broke the bracket that was holding the TM and i had to paddle the whole time,, (sucked huevos) that day,,

BUT OVER ALL YOU DID AWESOME JOB!!

Well I have managed to get out on the water several more times, even took the wife once and we got poured on.

Below are some more pics to highlight my last couple of mods.

boat 005.jpg

boat 007.jpg

On to some night shots.

boat 008.jpg
boat 009.jpg

There were a couple of things pointed out through out the build thread.
I did move the rear seat back as far as possible and have debated putting it on the floatation box. Good catch Baptistpreach....

Baptistpreach also had questions about my switch panel location and someone was concerned about my circuits shorting out in the rain due to the location of my connections. I mentioned eralier that the wife went with me one night. We got dumped on. Rained, thunder, lightening, rained, rained and did I mention it rained. The boat did great. No electrical shorts, all the switches, electrical circuits worked perfect, and I even got to use the bilge pump for about 3 seconds.

After rereading the whole thread I have some general comments to add.
I ended up buying 3 more linear feet of carpet and wished I would have bought a half gallon instead of the three pint cans. I ended up useing about a gallon of contact cement overall.

I used trailer wiring for my general light circuits. Its color coded wire, 25' goes for about $12 and it comes with 4 wires connected together. Hard to pass up the price of $12 for 100' of wiring.

I picked up a new lawn garden 12v battery and ShipN Shore battery charger for the boat. The battery was $28 with a core, and $10 off with a rebate.
The charger is regularly $60, on sale for $40, and has a $10 rebate. So I bought them both. Glad I did.

I used MikeA idea of the eye bolts, instead I used them to anchor the batteries instead of the livewell.

I decided not to add any support to the port side. I figured the floor is anchored front and back so the boat will never buckle, the front deck spreads teh gunwalls up front and the rear floatation strengthens teh rear gunwalls, plus the two storage boxes int eh rear are also anchored to botht eh gunwall and floor. There pretty solid. Plus I watched the gunwalls while under power, no flex in them at all.

I did lower the overflow the 1" and it made a huge difference. Teh pump still exceeds the drain capacity, however I have at least a minute or so to catch it. Shouldn't be a problem, I have to manually turn the pump on and off and you can hear it run.

I did get teh main motor to run and the boat moves along nicely. It almost gets up on plane. Although I think I need to rebuild the carb, she isn't winding out (hitting the rpms) like she should.

For those looking at my livewell connections, there are no clamps on the pipes and they dont leak, yet. I have the clamps, just need to put them on.

As of right now I am very satisfied with the boat and how she turned out. Showed it to my wife uncle, the one who sold me the boat, and he was impressed with the mods. Now my biggest problem is putting fish in teh boat and that ain't the boats fault. :mrgreen:

I did manage to catch another dink.
boat 001.jpg

I definitely love your finished product. Many many very good practical ideas. I'll probably incorporate the one about the buoys/ drinkholder, very nice.

baptistpreach said:
I definitely love your finished product. Many many very good practical ideas. I'll probably incorporate the one about the buoys/ drinkholder, very nice.

:LOL22:

Thta's my favorite mod too. :mrgreen:

Hanr3, I hadn't been back out here in a while to check out your progress and it's really come along nicely. I'm glad I was able to suggest something you were able to use. You really made the most out of the space you have available.

That boat is very much like the 14' Alumacraft I grew up fishing in. You said you like to fish off the port side, yet your seat in the back in on the starboard. Does that present any problems for you? I like to be close to the side that I'm fishing off of. I just feel like I have a better command of the situation over there.

Thanks for the compliments.

MikeA, the seat is on the starboard side mostly for the motor, and no I dont mind the location. Generally when the action gets going I stand up and like teh floor space, I tend to move around alot while fishing.

Forsythia, I used a Microsoft product called Visio. It's part of the Office Suit products. I also used a ton of graph paper and pens.

I have a couple of more mods to update you all on.

I picked up a Lowrance IFinder GPS unit last weekend for 4 dozen minnows. :mrgreen:
Thanks Crappie Professor.
I played around with it all week while going to and from work, and errands.
Took it ou tthis weekend to mark some cribs and some navigation points on the lake I fish the most. I discovered at WOT I am doing between 10-13mph. My 30 pound MinnKota Endura trolling motor pushes me along at 2.5-3 mph in high speed. Speed setting 3 is roughly 1.7mph. Not sure how slow speeds 1/2 go, the GPS doesn't register speeds that slow. Shows up as 0.0 mph.
Last night I was the winning bidder on Ebay for a Lowrance MapCreate 6 program with MMC and card reader. Now I can download the map infromation for various lakes in the area. Then upload my waypoints to my PC.

Last week I also ordered some new parts for my boat motor. I ordered a carb rebuild kit, water pump rebuild kit, ignition kit (points), and 2 new coils. I'll swing by Autozone and pick up new spark plugs. I should have the engine running like a top in no time.

I have a few more things to do, and we will get to them.

Oh, I did move teh bouy holder, it was iritating my left leg while sitting around waiting for the action to heat up. I moved it to the starboard side storage box.

Last night I managed to catch a couple dozen Crappie and a couple Bass. It was a great weekend.

Where do you buy parts for your motor at. Mine was running great until this weekend, i put new gas in the tank and it must have sucked something up into the carb and I think that i need to go ahead and rebuild it. Just need to know where to get the parts.

Latest posts