14' Shallow V - New (to me) Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ober51

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am relatively new to the site and have decided to take the plunge with a tin boat. I bought the trailer last year and the boat this year. Got a decent deal for this area (NNJ), boat, 4 leather seats, anchor and cover for $300. I don't know the maker of the boat or the year - as I can't find any info on the transom. So any help is appreciated! Maybe I will find some information once I scrape off some of the paint and that flaky yellow. Also, I haven't yet decided what I want to do to the boat - money, time, fishing season approaching all playing a part- at this point. I have, however, decided to make some cosmetic changes. I am going to Steel Flex the bottom, paint the remaining hull with Brightside, and repaint the inside (I think) depending on what I will do with the modification. I want to make it at least nice looking in the interim - though I have a sneaking suspicion I will be doing it all this month, lol.

I have a few pictures early in the process, as I only started scraping for like an hour before this pics were taken. I thought it was going to be a bit easier, I couldn't have been more wrong. The previous owner applied either Herculiner or Rhinoliner over blue paint, which was over greeen paint. The owner must have let some ice form, because when I bought the boat it was peeling badly. That part was easy, but the remaining roll-on liner is awful. Won't come off with paint remover/stripper, rather only through scraping for hours. I am sure some of you can relate. I have been at this for probably 10+ hours. Stinks, but it's coming along.

The black is what I need to get off. Like I mentioned before, this ws earlier in the process, so when I take some pictures tomorrow you'll see the difference (at least I hope). I plan on taking it as far down to the metal as I can to redo the paint. I will at least be doing the upper portions, as I am thinking of adding a low deck to the boat. I don't like to take chances, and will only add a front deck for some storage and likely not even place a chair, we'll see.

There really only seems to be one thing wrong thus far, thought I'm sure that will change! There is a piece that is a bit loose on the back bottom right of the boat. It's like a long support or something. No hole, just detached, and I want to reattach that. What is the best way? Can I use JB Weld? I would rather not get it welded or have to ask someone else to rivet it (though that is a possibility). It looks a bit distorted and I will have to bend it back to reshape it, as well.

Anyway, I look forward to some comments and what not, especially as I add more pictures. Suggestions and critiques are welcome. I would like to avoid mistakes and receive tips that cut down on time - as this scraping bit is not my cup of tea, lol. But I am pumped to see some progress this week.

Attachments

• Boat1.JPG
    Boat1.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 16,029
  • Boat2.JPG
    Boat2.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 16,030
  • Boat3.JPG
    Boat3.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 16,028
  • Boat4.JPG
    Boat4.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 16,028
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 15,196
Your doing a great job.I mean I don't know what it looked like to begin with but looks great.
Why was there Herculiner put down,does it leak?
Jb weld doesn't take to flexing all that well but not sure how much it would flex that close to the transom anyways,you could always try it.

Zum said:
Your doing a great job.I mean I don't know what it looked like to begin with but looks great.
Why was there Herculiner put down,does it leak?
Jb weld doesn't take to flexing all that well but not sure how much it would flex that close to the transom anyways,you could always try it.

Zum, thanks for the post. I was "told" it doesn't leak. Not quite sure - my dad seems to think it probably leaked and that's why that stuff was applied (not applied well). I went ahead and purchased/ordered Steel Flex late last week - so that should seal the outside, no? I plan on putting some water in it to see if it does before I apply that just to see. I'm not all that worried, there are no gashes or anything, but maybe a rivet or two is suspect and I am just not seeing it.

I made a lot of progress today - relatively speaking. It was taking forever to scrape the stuff off...until my girlfriend's father said, "Here try this." He handed me a heat gun. Leaving it on for about 30 seconds, the stuff started peeling right off with little effort - this would have save me hours had he mentioned his idea before! Oh well, I basically finished off all that, all that remains is getting around the rivets and the transom - and I think I am going to redo that as well. The plywood seems suspect (Herculiner was also applied on there). Didn't take pictures like promised given that you guys will be like, "He barely did anything," lol.

Oh, and any idea on what type of boat this is? Or do you need to see more to determine? And Steel Flex does seal the bottom, no?

Looks like the same kind of boat as mine. If you have a picture of the stern, that would be helpful. The seats and bow look like a Sears boat or whoever made them for sears.

They say steelflex will seal things up but I have no experience so do not take my work for it.

Stryker777 said:
Looks like the same kind of boat as mine. If you have a picture of the stern, that would be helpful. The seats and bow look like a Sears boat or whoever made them for sears.

They say steelflex will seal things up but I have no experience so do not take my work for it.

I will take a few more pictures but I suspect you are right. If that's the case, what is the HP rating, weight limit, etc?

I spent another 6 hours scraping, removing paint, epoxy, etc. today - what a pain. I am trying to get it as close to the metal as possible - or at least very, very smooth given that I will never want to do this again.

Good question about the weight. Mine is 675 lbs limit and 18hp. Yours has the extra support on the seats and the ones I saw with those were 725 lbs. The hp is anywhere from 15-25 depending on how your transom is braced. If it has the aluminum sheet as a brace (at the bottom), it is probably 18. If you have a knee brace (much more rigid), it is probably 25. I am adding a better knee brace and frame supports to the transom to beef it up. I don't need anything over 15hp, but would like to have the ability to use a little bigger of an engine if I do find the need.

I will be sanding off the bottom the rest of the way tomorrow. Hope it goes well. I am going to bare metal with a cup brush. It is slow, but effective. I am guessing another 6 hours tomorrow and I will be ready to weld, rivet, and start my framing. I am going to do the deck framing first so any rivets I use will be covered when I paint. I would hate to have to touch up later. After that, I will paint, then add the plywood and carpet.
Have a good one!

Stryker777 said:
Good question about the weight. Mine is 675 lbs limit and 18hp. Yours has the extra support on the seats and the ones I saw with those were 725 lbs. The hp is anywhere from 15-25 depending on how your transom is braced. If it has the aluminum sheet as a brace (at the bottom), it is probably 18. If you have a knee brace (much more rigid), it is probably 25. I am adding a better knee brace and frame supports to the transom to beef it up. I don't need anything over 15hp, but would like to have the ability to use a little bigger of an engine if I do find the need.

I will be sanding off the bottom the rest of the way tomorrow. Hope it goes well. I am going to bare metal with a cup brush. It is slow, but effective. I am guessing another 6 hours tomorrow and I will be ready to weld, rivet, and start my framing. I am going to do the deck framing first so any rivets I use will be covered when I paint. I would hate to have to touch up later. After that, I will paint, then add the plywood and carpet.
Have a good one!

Ah, thanks for the insight into the HP rating, weight, etc. I think I have a similar transom as you, I really need to post pics, lol. I am going to redo the transom as well - replace with a better wood like oak, and maybe some aluminum. I saw someone here use an aluminum sign and I may have one around here somewhere to use. Even without it, changing the transom is a good idea on this boat. I am also going to WestMarine tomorrow (after checking out BoatersWorld's fire sale) to buy some of the 3M Marine sealant.

I am excited that we both have a similar boat so I can just see how things are done from a more experienced boater. I am hesitant at this point to do any decking, so that may wait until next year, we'll see. Anyway, thanks again, good luck tomorrow, and post some pictures!

Crappy day here, so I waited for the rain to come...and it really never did, so I missed out on some prepping time, ugh. But I did flip the boat over, inspect, wash, and degrease. I am going to start sanding the upper portions of the hull tomorrow, so I can start preparing for paint. I took some pictures of a couple holes near the transom that I plan on using the JB Weld Marine on (ordered yesterday, so it will be a few days). The transom is also being replaced, bought some oak and stainless steel bolts. The four 3" bolts and locknuts were only $3 bucks at Boatersworld, so that wasn't bad. But I think 3" is only going to get me through one piece of oak on each side, so I may have to go back and buy 4", we'll see. I was going to beef up the transom, but I have decided to just replace, making it more reliable and sturdy - since I don't have any plans on putting anything other than a 9.9 (lakes around here permit only 10 or less).

A couple questions:

1. Can I use Spar Varnish to seal the oak? Is one piece of oak on each side enough? Not going to be putting bigger engine than 9.9.
2. Should I use marine sealant once the bolts are through?
3. How do I remove the rivets in the transom (which is how they are attached)? Drill through them?

Pictures to follow.

Attachments

• Holes to be filled with JB Weld.JPG
    Holes to be filled with JB Weld.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 15,835
  • Transom.JPG
    Transom.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 15,839
I have about 90% of the prepping done. I have just a bit more sanding on some of the outside hull supports and transom. I will then wipe this puppy down with acetone and a tack cloth, letting it air dry. After which, I will apply the Steel Flex that came today (took a week, perfect timing).

I also ripped off the transom (dad helped) and cut out a new one. This one is made from two pieces of oak, glued together, clamped down overnight. Tomorrow I will Spar Varnish, 3 coats (rubbing very fine steel wool in between coats 2 and three). I will also have to cut out the inside transom portion (inside the boat) and pick up 4 more stainless steel nuts and bolts to properly secure the transom.

Home Depot had Marine 3M 5200 for 10 bucks...and when I got home, realized it was effective until 10/07! Back there tomorrow to complain a bit.

I will post some pictures tomorrow - I forgot the camera, and I was working from 7am to 8pm today on this boat (it's become an obsession).

Good job :) Progress on these addictions is always nice. It's cool you have help. I wish my kids wanted to help lol. Are you going to primer? Hope you have a productive weekend!

Stryker777 said:
Good job :) Progress on these addictions is always nice. It's cool you have help. I wish my kids wanted to help lol. Are you going to primer? Hope you have a productive weekend!

I will be up at 7 doing this again, lol. I will not be priming the Steel Flex - just wiping down the sanded aluminum with acetone, letting that dry naturally, then applying.

I will be priming the upper portion, however. I have bought self-etching primer in a spray can (bought one of those spray gun handles to help), then putting on the Brightside Interlux. I doubt I will get that far tomorrow, but with about 10 hours planned, I might approach it!

ober51 said:
I have about 90% of the prepping done. I have just a bit more sanding on some of the outside hull supports and transom. I will then wipe this puppy down with acetone and a tack cloth, letting it air dry. After which, I will apply the Steel Flex that came today (took a week, perfect timing).

I also ripped off the transom (dad helped) and cut out a new one. This one is made from two pieces of oak, glued together, clamped down overnight. Tomorrow I will Spar Varnish, 3 coats (rubbing very fine steel wool in between coats 2 and three). I will also have to cut out the inside transom portion (inside the boat) and pick up 4 more stainless steel nuts and bolts to properly secure the transom.

Home Depot had Marine 3M 5200 for 10 bucks...and when I got home, realized it was effective until 10/07! Back there tomorrow to complain a bit.

I will post some pictures tomorrow - I forgot the camera, and I was working from 7am to 8pm today on this boat (it's become an obsession).

Well, a bit of a detour, but still some solid progress. Didn't do the Steel Flex, as some of the holes were still drying. I was able to apply the self etch primer and a coat of the Brightside. It needs 16 hours to dry, so tomorrow at 7am that's what I'll be doing. Unfortunately, the transom is not yet ready (glue still a bit wet) so I just cut out the other piece and varnished that. I'll do the second coat tonight.

I am hoping for the second coat tomorrow, plus the Steel Flex, but I don't know how I will swing that one. We'll see. Definitely coming along. Pics later, as I took some today.

Here are the pics from yesterday. Completely sanded, wiped with acetone, then a tack cloth, then self etch primer, then Brightside Interlux. This is only the first coat - I did the second this morning (after a light 320 grit sand, and I mean light). Then a tack cloth, then the second coat. I have been rolling the paint, and I really can't complain. Not crazy about the color, thought it would be darker. I'm an idiot, do all this work only to paint it the same color #-o

Oh well. It's going to look much different with the black steel flex on the bottom. Might do that later (if I dare with the second coat still drying) or tomorrow very, very early, since rain is rolling in tomorrow night. Trying to squeeze this all in, tough to do.

I also am thinking of adding a red pinstripe - an suggestions? Can I add that next week? Just sand the 320 in a taped off area and apply the red Brightside? Is it that simple? Hope this is at least a bit entertaining, it's fun to do! And exhausting, lol.

I will take some more pictures before I go out today - without the newspaper and such. My dad loves it, but my brother thinks it's lame, lol. I'm in between. I think the end result is what matters (and whether or not I like it).

Attachments

• Completely sanded.JPG
    Completely sanded.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 12,648
  • Taped off.JPG
    Taped off.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 12,649
  • using newspaper.JPG
    using newspaper.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 12,648
  • first coat.JPG
    first coat.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 12,650
  • closeup first coat.JPG
    closeup first coat.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 12,649
You have been working hard,looks good.It will look alot different with that steelflex on the bottom.

Stryker777 said:
Looking good :) Keep up the good work. You are going to have a great boat.

Thanks, waiting for the paint to dry is the worst part. I need for it to dry so I can put the painter's tape on it to mark off the point for the Steel Flex. Given that it won't be fully dry until midnight or so tonight, it will have to wait until early tomorrow again - at which point it's probably not a good temp for the Steel Flex to be applied. I'm just not sure what to do about this - try and get it in, then tarp the boat for a few days, or just wait the weather out until I see another good few days in a row? I

Does anyone know if I can apply the Steel flex to about 90% of the places I want, then save the 10% for another day? Will that compromise its strength, durability, etc? Really hoping someone has some insight into that. Maybe I'll just call.

Well I went ahead and Steel Flex'd it - semi disaster! Freaking messy, thick, gels fast, bugs dying on it, but it's on! I did notice I missed a small spot, can I put another coat on? I am hoping it's a yes, because there are brush strokes galore, and being a perfectionist, this kills me. I'll take pictures (far away), but I don't really like the way it came out. I guess it will seal the boat, but I sure hope it dries better than it looks now. And praying I can put a second coat on!

Stryker777 said:
It will be fine. And you can apply a second coat. The can should have the directions on it and say how to do it all.

Ah, I didn't see the second coat part, but maybe I just missed it. The stuff is awesome, just user error that's all :oops:

Pics will follow - as I just haven't taken them and was preoccupied with other stuff. Thanks, Stryker.

Here are the pictures - I am posting with a bag over my head, so people can learn from my mistakes - Mix the pigment before anything, I'm an idiot and forgot. Also, in my attempt to cover the boat from the elements last night, the side of the tent laid on the epoxy, sticking! Meaning that when I took it off, it left a nasty pattern.

I am PRAYING I can put another coat on, with the same pigment throughout this time, to cover the brush strokes and the nasty part near the front of the boat (and the 3 different shades of black). If you are cringing looking at these pictures, imagine how I feel after doing two weeks of prepping, and ruining the boat with what was supposed to be the most satisfying part. I am really disappointed in myself - I took all the time in the world for the prep and rushed into something I should have thoroughly researched. The product is great, it's the looks part that's killing me.

Please, if anyone has any ideas, help me out. I will call FASCO tomorrow, but I guess I won't be able to change anything til the weather clears again on Thursday. Ugh, awfully disappointing. :oops:

Attachments

• SteelFlex1.JPG
    SteelFlex1.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 4,885
  • SteeFlex2.JPG
    SteeFlex2.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 4,885
  • SteelFlex3.JPG
    SteelFlex3.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 4,885

Latest posts