It's DONE!!!! (FINALLY WITH PICTURES)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeA57

Reaction score
I just had to share this news. I've almost finished my boat trailer!!!! It's a 1956 Holsclaw tilt trailer which my Dad bought new. My Uncle Charlie bought the 14' Aluumacraft and together they bought a 7 1/2 hp Evinrude and I grew up fishing in that rig. The rest of it is a long story but several years ago it fell into disrepair and I decided to take it apart, sand it down and repaint it. About that time life got in the way and it's been sitting for 6 years. In January I finally drug the assorted parts & pieces from under the steps in my shop and got it powder coated and started rebuilding it. Anyway, I'll post some pictures in the next couple of days but I am super excited to finally get this done and be able to get my boat back in the water. I'll probably be refurbing it this winter. (I promise it will NOT TAKE 6 MORE YEARS TO FINISH!!!)

Mike

this trailer didn't have any light housings. I know Holsclaw changed the design of their trailers throughout the years but this one originally had a frame right behind the wheel well for regular trailer lights to be bolted onto. When my Dad set the trailer up to carry the 14' Lowe Big Jon he added guide on posts and moved the lights up there. I thought about putting the lights back in the original place as well as on the guide posts but decided against spending the money. This thing has been a money hole as it is. I'll try to get some pics of it posted. I want to pull it out of the garage and I haven't been able to do that due to rain, and kid's ball practice/games, and rain, and cutting grass, etc, etc...

OK, I finally got some pictures. I tried to find some that I have of when I first got the boat after my Dad died but I couldn't find them.This first set are from before I took the trailer to get it powdercoated. I had about 90% of it sanded and primed before I finally just got too d&%n tired to keep grinding at it. The powdercoaters were going to sandblast it all anyway so I just took it all to them.

Attachments

• Trailer before Powdercoating.JPG
    Trailer before Powdercoating.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 10,651
  • Trailer before powdercoating 2.JPG
    Trailer before powdercoating 2.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 10,651
  • Crank stand before powdercoating.JPG
    Crank stand before powdercoating.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 10,651
  • Roller bunks & fender before powdercoating.JPG
    Roller bunks & fender before powdercoating.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 10,652
After I got it back I started putting it back together. (These pictures will be posted tomorrow when I get to work where they are stored on.)
The old coupler had to be replaced because of the rash of trailer thefts at local lakes. This one couldn't be locked. I liked it better than the new style because it was more hands on - you didn't have to worry at all about whether the coupler was coupled to the ball or not.

Attachments

• Old coupler 1.JPG
    Old coupler 1.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 10,651
  • View of trailer  after powder coating (Small).jpg
    View of trailer after powder coating (Small).jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 10,650
  • Straight on.JPG
    Straight on.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 10,650
Finally complete!!! The only problem I'm experiencing right now is the right wheel isn't running true. I've got to get a tire on the 3rd rim and change it out. I think the one I've got on there now was the spare before.

Attachments

• Whole trailer.JPG
    Whole trailer.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 10,655
  • Back half.JPG
    Back half.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 10,652
  • Bunk slicks.JPG
    Bunk slicks.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 10,652
  • Back to front.JPG
    Back to front.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 10,655
  • Front to back.JPG
    Front to back.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 10,652
Some closer shots. Next step is to get the boat on it and go fishing which I'll be doing in the next couple of weeks. This winter I'll be working on the boat and get it back in shape. And I'll be using a lot of ideas that I've gotten from here when I do. The intent here was to rebuild this trailer back to its original glory as a tribute to my Dad and my Uncle Charlie who got me to fishing and introduced me to a wonderful pastime and to so many wonderful places. Thanks for the memories Dad and Unc!!!

Attachments

• Jack stand & Crank stand.JPG
    Jack stand & Crank stand.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 10,819
  • Right wheel.JPG
    Right wheel.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 10,652
  • New coupler.JPG
    New coupler.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 10,651
Heh heh, naw, it's not a 4 link, it's not that beefy. I do wish I had put a second set of springs on it. Not that it needs it but I went to the extent that I did and I should have just gotten a second set made and put them on it. Thanks, I tried to do it right so it would last another 53 years!

MikeA57 said:
Heh heh, naw, it's not a 4 link, it's not that beefy. I do wish I had put a second set of springs on it. Not that it needs it but I went to the extent that I did and I should have just gotten a second set made and put them on it. Thanks, I tried to do it right so it would last another 53 years!

I have a similar trailer but only one main square tube that runs the length of the trailer. My problem (other than cosmetics) is both coil springs are cracked at the junction of the spring and the lower frame (pigtail?). Any one know where to get 3" O.D. by 8" tall coil springs for these trailers?

thanks!

Excellent job, first class. Your dad and Uncle would be proud!

there sure dont make trailers like that any more. I converted my old '50's trailer to a garden trailer. The single leaf spring suspension had me nervous about its weight carrying capacity, that and being 50 years old and covered with rust didnt help. You can see pics of it in my remodle project, link in my sig.

Latest posts