My 1436... or wait.. 1432 mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright! Stripping is done other than the ribs (need a new wire wheel to hit them good) and then its on to fixing the holes and cutting out the middle seat top for storage..

I got one of those 3M wheel and they are a life saver.. used one up in about 4 hours tho. Once I switched to a new one, it took my about half the time as before. End result, great 20 bucks spent.

dyeguy1212 said:
Burned up my last wire wheel today... all I have left is the interior and the bottom. I CANT WAIT to be done with this phase... im so sick of aluminum dust in my contacts...

Ah, stripping the inside as well. Now the fun begins.

Okay all done stripping!

I now need to cut the hole in the front bench and remove the foam, and figure out what the heck primer to get. The only self etching stuff at HD is paintbomb style, so I guess I'll have to blow the big bucks on that. I also need to get a cutting wheel for my 4in grinder, because my old one disappeared....

Here at the pics as she stands. Solid paint was left on the bottom because it will be covered by rustoleum, rubberized undercoating, foam insulation, and then decking. The rest is pretty darn flawless.

I used fiberglass bondo to fill in the holes, and it seems really solid. Its not the easiest to work with (because of the strands) but I think it will get the job done. And for anyone wondering, yes its like regular fiberglass, and I'm dying to take a shower to get the itchiness to quit!

Any comments welcome! I'll post up more pics when I get the priming done. (Not sure if I mentioned this, but pettit topside red will be used to the outside, and semigloss black rustoleum will be used on the inside)

Attachments

• Boat1.jpg
    Boat1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 4,850
  • Boat2.jpg
    Boat2.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 4,847
  • Boat3.jpg
    Boat3.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 4,850
It's hard to appreciate those pics unless you've done it yourself, so great job. Now comes the fun part - paint transforms a boat.

Thanks for the support guys... It really really really took a lot out of me. I literally spent 15 hours doing it. Set my alarm, got working, took a 20 min lunch/water break, and got back to it until I had to leave for work.

Meanwhile, Im sneezing blood from the fiberglass in the bondo, combined with aluminum dust and paint chips... not a good thing... #-o

dyeguy1212 said:
Thanks for the support guys... It really really really took a lot out of me. I literally spent 15 hours doing it. Set my alarm, got working, took a 20 min lunch/water break, and got back to it until I had to leave for work.

Meanwhile, Im sneezing blood from the fiberglass in the bondo, combined with aluminum dust and paint chips... not a good thing... #-o

No good, man. I went out and bought a few of those good respirators from 3M, worked wonders.

Took her out to a really small local lake to make sure the bondo was good and to see if it floats [-o<

Everything seemed good... little more tippy than I had hoped... but thats what 4 inches less across the bottom gets you :cry:

Just waiting to get some money from work to start painting.. its killing me not having the funds to get out on the water...

Alright sorry for the lack of updates. I've found that posting in this thread depresses me more. :roll:

The boat is primed, and has been sitting on my trampoline, waiting to be sanded and painted. I have the rustoleum gloss black for the interior, but I'm waiting until I'm about to get the topside paint in the mail to begin applying it, so I can get all my painting done in about 3 days, weather pending.

I get my first paycheck friday, and I'm selling my old computer tomorrow so I should have a couple hundred bucks to play around with.

First on the shipping list will be an online order for:

one quart of top side paint
a few feet of wiring for my TM
and possibly a few other gadgets

next I'll make a run to HD for:

2 sheets of 1/2 or 3/8 ply wood (I'll decide when I get there)
possibly foam boad (depending on funds)
fasteners
hinges
waterseal
and something to make my TM mount with

and then I'll be too broke to afford carpet probably... which will put another hold on things.

dyeguy1212 said:
Alright sorry for the lack of updates. I've found that posting in this thread depresses me more. :roll:

The boat is primed, and has been sitting on my trampoline, waiting to be sanded and painted. I have the rustoleum gloss black for the interior, but I'm waiting until I'm about to get the topside paint in the mail to begin applying it, so I can get all my painting done in about 3 days, weather pending.

I get my first paycheck friday, and I'm selling my old computer tomorrow so I should have a couple hundred bucks to play around with.

First on the shipping list will be an online order for:

one quart of top side paint
a few feet of wiring for my TM
and possibly a few other gadgets

next I'll make a run to HD for:

2 sheets of 1/2 or 3/8 ply wood (I'll decide when I get there)
possibly foam boad (depending on funds)
fasteners
hinges
waterseal
and something to make my TM mount with

and then I'll be too broke to afford carpet probably... which will put another hold on things.

Sounds like a plan - I have to go over to HD for some ply myself, though I'll likely opt for the 5/8ths, since I have a bigger boat. Do you have a decent cover? I just wonder because the boat will be heavy and hard to flip once you've made the mods and then don't have carpet, you know? If it sits out and then it rains and it has no carpet or cover, things could be bad. Just thinking out loud...

as far as ply... stick with 15/32 exterior. It's like $20 per sheet, but it's light weight and won't make your boat that heavy

i used it in all of my boats and it works great

I did a little shopping at Lowes and HD today. Didnt have the trailer so I couldnt get the foam insulation of ply wood but I got:

(2) 1x4's (floor support)
Thompson's Water Seal
4 Hinges with hardware
Box of deck screws
box of screws for putting up chicken wire (has a finishing washer built in... nice and easy)

I still need the insulation and ply wood, along with a dollar store paintbrush for the water seal. Also need the supplies for the TM bracket.

Some of you might have seen my post about substituting an electrical plug for a TM plug, but after checking both stores, its cheaper to just buy a TM plug. Anything over 15 Amps in outrageously priced.

Ordered my topside paint today as well, along with some 6 gauge wire and some other goodies.

I'm getting there!

Those winch plugs are cheaper,handle 6 or bigger gauge,handle 50+amps and can be found at most automotive stores.

Got two sheets of ply wood and a 1"x4'x8' sheet of pink insulation from HD this morning. Out another 37 bucks.

Had to strap it to the redneck utility trailer too.... i.e. the boat trailer.

The interior paint is done! Used gloss black rustoleum, and it looks pretty darn good. Taped off the edges, and to my suprise, they came out clean. I'll be starting the topside paint tomorrow =P~ . I'm pretty excited, things are really starting to come together.

Went on a shopping spree last night, and got a TM plug, seat base, registration letters, and a dry storage/bailer container, not to mention a 3/4 ox red eye shad in sexy shad color :twisted:

Ordered my seats from Cabelas, got them on sale but two of them still cost me just under 100 bucks...

Heres some pics... the gray is primer.

Note: The bottom and seats aren't painted because they will be covered with plywood.

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 2,133
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 2,133
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 2,133
  • workplace.jpg
    workplace.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 2,133
  • sprayer.jpg
    sprayer.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,133
Just two, it seems pretty good. I feel like I should throw another one on considering I have the paint, but I already took the tape off... seems pretty solid tho, and can touch it up if need be.

looks good man - too bad you took the tape off already... the more coats you have, the more durable it will be against the stupid times you get clumsy and scratch it doing the most stupid things that shouldn't bother it

Latest posts