iPods (again)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Reaction score
Wife just informed me that an iPod would be nice for Christmas. Never had one or even used one. Prolly go with the actual iPod (Classic or Nano, not sure) and not a different variation. My question is (and this may seem silly to some) but can you use any computer system (non-Mac) to load them or can you load the program on a PC.

Do I have to use iTunes or can I use music that is already on my computer? You know stuff that has been copied from CD's and downloaded from other file sharing sources?

flounderhead59 said:
Do I have to use iTunes or can I use music that is already on my computer? You know stuff that has been copied from CD's and downloaded from other file sharing sources?
I'm pretty sure you have to upload those files onto iTunes, because I think iTunes is the only way to get music onto the iPod itself.

flounderhead59 said:

Once you download itunes it will "find" all your music and just catalog it through itunes.

You have install options to either let Itunes handle your music or you leave it. If you let itunes handle it, it copies ithe music into its own folder.

Then once you plug in your ipod your all set.

If you buy an IPOD buy it at Sam's Club and get their three year warranty its like 12-20 bucks. Its replacement or upgrade with any issues in store.

pbw said:
If you buy an IPOD buy it at Sam's Club and get their three year warranty its like 12-20 bucks. Its replacement or upgrade with any issues in store.

Never thought of Sams Club. Got one across the street frome Best Buy and Circuit City which is where I was going to look first. $249.99 for the 80 GB and $349.99 for the 160 GB at Circuit City.

I looked at the Sam's Club website and they don't show that they have iPods. Other brands, but not true iPods. Guess I'll have to drive over there one of these days.

just remember that with the 80gb it will hold 20,000 songs so do you really need the 160 gb?

Wayne

I was prolly gonna go with the 80 Gig. I did a side by side comparison on line and found the 80 holds approx 20K songs, 100 hours of video and has 30 hour battery life for music and 5 for video. The 160 has 40K songs, 200 hrs. video and 40 hours battery life for songs and 7 for video.

Based on how I anticipate my wife to use it... The 80 will be plenty. Plus I can save $100.00 for fishin' stuff. Hmmm, let's see; Aqua-Vu Scout XL50 camera, MarCum LX-2 flasher, an Ice Armor fishing suit...

you could be nice and get her A i tune gift card so she can get some more music. she might feel quilty and get you several things onyour santa fish list !!!

Fishin NJ said:
Sams club does carry i-pods, at least mine does. AS for the i-tunes gift card save some money and find a decent peer 2 peer site(there are several good ones) and get the songs for free!!!
I downloaded limewire, never in my life have I payed for a song. No complaints about Limewire! Easy to use, and has a HUGE selection of songs. Name one that's not there (you can even find theme songs of shows).

flounderhead59 said:
I looked at the Sam's Club website and they don't show that they have iPods. Other brands, but not true iPods. Guess I'll have to drive over there one of these days.

They are in all the Sam's stores around here I don't see them either on the website either.

SMDave said:
Fishin NJ said:
Sams club does carry i-pods, at least mine does. AS for the i-tunes gift card save some money and find a decent peer 2 peer site(there are several good ones) and get the songs for free!!!
I downloaded limewire, never in my life have I payed for a song. No complaints about Limewire! Easy to use, and has a HUGE selection of songs. Name one that's not there (you can even find theme songs of shows).

There are 3 problems with LimeWire:

1. There are enough viruses and other malware to make it miserable.
2. File sharing is an invitation for other people to access your system.
3. LimeWire was one of the sites the people at the RIAA used to sue people for downloading songs without payment. The RIAA would have you believe you're stealing from the artists when it actually represents the recording industry. The artists get nothing from those suits.

3. LimeWire was one of the sites the people at the RIAA used to sue people for downloading songs without payment. The RIAA would have you believe you're stealing from the artists when it actually represents the recording industry. The artists get nothing from those suits.

1. There is software to protect you from 99.999% of that junk. Most of which is written by script kiddies who are just copying old malware and viruses that will only fool the people who don't know to scan everything they download before they open it.

2. Don't share files !!! Just use Limewire or other peer to peer software to download other peoples shared content. You are not required to share and there is a setting to change from the default "share files" to "do not share".

3. Several artists have been getting after people on an individual basis and filing suit on their own. But you are correct that the artists do not benifit from the lawsuits filed by RIAA, excepting if the artist has a residuals contract with the record companies or actually owns the rights to their own music.

Disclaimer *** It should be noted that downloading files is NOT legal and is, in fact, stealing.

No ones needs to download a client to get songs, there are sites where you can download the full cd to PREVIEW before you buy... And again do not share your music on download clients!!! Thats who the RIAA is after

DocWatson said:

1. There is software to protect you from 99.999% of that junk. Most of which is written by script kiddies who are just copying old malware and viruses that will only fool the people who don't know to scan everything they download before they open it.

2. Don't share files !!! Just use Limewire or other peer to peer software to download other peoples shared content. You are not required to share and there is a setting to change from the default "share files" to "do not share".

3. Several artists have been getting after people on an individual basis and filing suit on their own. But you are correct that the artists do not benifit from the lawsuits filed by RIAA, excepting if the artist has a residuals contract with the record companies or actually owns the rights to their own music.

Disclaimer *** It should be noted that downloading files is NOT legal and is, in fact, stealing.

1. You're correct in the 99.99% but even missing that .01% can ruin a day. Scanning files before opening should be a given. Even so, quite a few people get nasty viruses by opening files sent by "trusted sources".

2. It's been a long time since I've used LimeWire but even if you don't share, your downloading history can be traced.

3. Bugger the recording industry. If I purchase a piece of music, it's mine to do with what I wish. By the RIAA's logic, you shouldn't be allow to play music at a party unless everybody within earshot sends money to the record company before your guests are allowed to listen.

Latest posts