Shimano Symetre Spinning Reels

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Symetre is the lowest quality reel I'll buy today.

About 10 years ago I bought a Sedona, Sahara and a Symetre all at the same time. At the time, I couldn't tell the difference between the $40 reel and the $80.

Every year I tear my reels down and clean and lube them. It was upon opening my reels that I saw the difference. They Symetre was built with better components and was of a more robust design.

My Sahara had to get junked out many years ago. My Sedona got moved to occasional use only about the same time. My Symetre is still going strong and shows no signs of needing any work done to it.

At the time of purchase, the Symetre didn't seem like a good value. Now, every year that passes my investment becomes smaller and smaller...

Front drags only for me. The drag washers are larger when in front. And typically the rest of the mechanics are better as well.

I was looking at those as well. I use the heck out of my Sedona but after two years it is pretty much worn out. I replaced the entire drag system this year but now the handle is loose and it is on its last legs.

I never realized how worn out it was until I picked up Gamefisher's newer Sedona and felt how tight it was.

Still catches fish no problem and I like the light weight.

Im looking to buy the Symetre as well. I normally get rear drag but I think it adds weight and Im looking to cut down on weight this time around. My question is what size should I get?? I want it for Large and Smallmouth.

I would go with a 2000 or 2500, personally I prefer a 2500. I just have one question, how are you going to cast without Quickfire? Flipping the bail manually can get incredibly strenuous.

I know, Im screwed without the quickfire. I don't know why more people dont like it. I grew up with it so Im used to it, and I prefer it. I love the onehanded cast. Oh well, they dont make it on the better reels so I guess I'll have to get used to not having it.

Latest posts