bow setup help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggerhead Mike

Reaction score
I'd like to turn my old browning compound into a bowfishing setup. The thing is ready to rock and roll as far as hunting but what do i need to change to set it up for water?

Any good places on the net i can pick this stuff up at? I know i'd need the real, arrows and whatever kind of tips yall use

thanks abunch fellers

Pretty much all of the local sporting goods stores and archery shops carry the stuff around here.

There's no need to buy one of those $100 bowfishing reel setups unless you are high volume shooting. I've been shooting one of the old cheap hoop reels for years and it works just fine.

You can get the arrow with tip and a hoop reel in a package deal sometimes.

One thing that I would buy is a roller rest. Those heavy arrows will wreck just about any regular rest in short order. A biscuit might work too, I dunno.

Did you get that new bow for Christmas?

A lot is going to depend on your style of shooting honestly.

Sights are too much of a pain when bowfishing. At first you'll probably aim down the arrow, but it will get to a point where it becomes instinctive if you stay with it.

I shoot fingers, a few people use a release, that's you're call. If you decide to shoot fingers it is wise to pick up a set of No-gloves or Bowfingers. Shooting fingers allows you the advantage of not having a hand stuck to the string. I would never be able to use a release because I am always driving the trolling motor with one hand.

If it is a hunting bow I would assume you have it set between 60-70 lbs. My advice would be to turn it down as low as it can go while being safe. I shoot at 35lbs and STILL will shoot through a fish on occasion. Also, if you miss, the arrow won't be stuck in the bottom as far. Also keep in mind, unlike deer hunting, you will be drawing your bow dozens of times. Your shoulder will thank you!

Your hunting rest probably won't work well with the heavier arrows. Roller rests are ok, but I would highly recommend something like the Muzzy Fish Hook. It prevents the arrow falling off the string and gives you more adjustment. Very rarely do you have time to have perfect form. The exception would be if you are using a whisker biscuit right now. It will work if you put some glue on the bottom bristles to stiffen them up.

Reels are your call once again. The drum reels are a great inexpensive way to get started. The AMS Retrievers are basically foolproof and mount in the sight holes on your riser. You can also get a reel seat and set up a spincast with some heavy braid on the stabilizer hole.

Arrows are 5/16" fiberglass. There are a ton of points you can choose from. A couple that I would consider are the Muzzy carp tips, or Innerlock Pro Points. Both are very good and around $7 a piece.

Please make sure you use safety slides or rings, You do not want that arrow coming back at you!

The two best places online are Backwater Bowfishing or Bowfishing Extreme. Both have very good customer service and the owners are very active in the sport themselves.

Attachments

• CIMG0114.jpg
    CIMG0114.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 3,062
  • CIMG0025.jpg
    CIMG0025.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 3,062
  • CIMG0093.jpg
    CIMG0093.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 3,062
thanks alot fellers. Recon im going to sell the rest and sight and buy one of them kits. Sweet pics too!

Did you get that new bow for Christmas?

My old lady was going behind my back and ended up getting me a mathews q2 off my buddy ive been wanting. I was wondering why she kept telling me I could get a bow but not untill after x-mas. Still wish i had that hoyt ;)

I shoot about 38lbs.

I like the Whisker Fishing Biscuit currently on the bow, 100% containment is ideal. I wouldn't have an AMS Roller Rest if someone gave it to me. I will probably upgrade to what I think is the best rest out there, the Quick Draw Bowfishing Rest (https://www.backwaterbowfishing.com/onlinestore/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=315).

No Glovs or Finger slicks on the string are a must. Cheap and your fingers will thank you for it.

Hands down, AMS Retriever Pro is the way to go. I used spinning and hand-wound....notice I said "used". That's the way it will stay too. But they all work.

Here's my bow....
2009 Parker Side-Kick
bofishingbow.jpg

+ 1 to the above advice. Just a word of caution: Make SURE that the loop of line between the reel and the arrow is in front of the bow when you shoot. It's pretty disconcerting to see the arrow leave the rest, travel a few feet, turn in mid air, and come back at you.

After gettink a nock buried 4 inches into my hand between my pointer and middle finger, I will never use a cajun hand reel again. Line got stuck on one of the tabs and it came right back into my hand after about 40 foot....good times. And yes I was using a safety slide, but it was a buddys bow...I watched him reel up, not closely enough apparently, failed to inspect the line.....and then pain. I use an AMS retreiver pro...no substitutes. Oh yeah, southpaw style.

A bowfishing set up (consisting of an arrow and some sort of reel, both available at local sporting goods stores)