New Kevin Van Dam Signature series Baitcast reel kv1000hxd

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quantum makes some nice stuff, I like their spinning reels cause they did away with the bail spring and use a magnetic thingy.

shamoo said:
Quantum makes some nice stuff, I like their spinning reels cause they did away with the bail spring and use a magnetic thingy.

really? Do my Catalyst PTi have that?

That b-caster looks nice, the handle looks inset like a Diawa. Too bad there's no left hand retrieve.

Nickk said:
shamoo said:

really? Do my Catalyst PTi have that?

That b-caster looks nice, the handle looks inset like a Diawa. Too bad there's no left hand retrieve.

Yes it should, How old is it?

do they say ti-mag or soemthing like that on them? What model numbers?

That magnetic bail has a lifetime warranty.

Here is a TT review from 5 years ago

https://www.tackletour.com/reviewquantpti.html

Jim said:
do they say ti-mag or soemthing like that on them? What model numbers?

That magnetic bail has a lifetime warranty.

Here is a TT review from 5 years ago

https://www.tackletour.com/reviewquantpti.html

Thanks! I got mine the year they discontinued the free spare spool....doh! But it's a PTi and has the TiMag, it was the smoothest spinning reel for the price and I'd get another if I needed one.

It looks very "futuristic". I would have to try it first because some times products that look cool don't act as cool.

My wife has the KVD series KV600CX (6.2:1 ratio) and loves it!

I have two Quantum Catalyst reels. One is a 2005 model (CT40PTi), and the other is a 2006 model (CT40PT1-A). Both are great reels and feature the T-Mag bail features: CT40PTi has the TiMAG II titanium bail system, and the CT40PTi-A has the TiMAG III bail system. Looking to get a Catalyst 30 series come warm weather :)

Haven't bought a reel (for casting lures) in years. That would almost make me take up bait casters. That review on the Catalyst makes me want to get one of those too.

Speaking of spinning reels, do you guys close the bail by turning the handle, or manually with your hand? I always close the bail using my hand.

It's refreshing to see some positive posts about the Quantum products. Go to some sites and they bash the heck out of Quantum's; but to each their own, lol :)

Waterwings said:
Speaking of spinning reels, do you guys close the bail by turning the handle, or manually with your hand? I always close the bail using my hand.

It's refreshing to see some positive posts about the Quantum products. Go to some sites and they bash the heck out of Quantum's; but to each their own, lol :)

I do both! Mostly by hand though.

I do both as well, but it depends on what kind of presentation I'm using. If I want the bait to fall straight down or when using live bait and a float I close it manually. If casting and retrieving then I crank to close it.

I typically close it with the handle and pause to see if I formed a loop, but I do both.

I've seen a lot of Quantum bashing because they're a division of Zebco but that's like bashing Lexus because they're owned by the same company that makes Scion. I haven't used any of their baitcasters but they take time to make lefty versions so I end up with others. I haven't heard of any more than average failures of Quantum but I've heard they can be hard to find shops that work on them.

If they are as rugged and reliable as my old Zebco Cardinal 4, you don't need to look for someplace to work on them. Something like 30 years old and has only needed a new spool. Bakelite spool cracked in half, glued it while waiting for the replacement though.

flounderhead59 said:
If they are as rugged and reliable as my old Zebco Cardinal 4, you don't need to look for someplace to work on them. Something like 30 years old and has only needed a new spool. Bakelite spool cracked in half, glued it while waiting for the replacement though.

yo Flounderhead! If for some reason you did need work on a Quantum, Coren's in Chicago is an authorized repair shop.

Cosing the bail on a spinning reel will help reduce line twist more than anything but it would most likely reduce the wear on the flip gear

Latest posts