My 1985 PolarKraft project (HELP, I BROKE my boat! page 13)

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
You must be a registered user to be able to read the posts in this forum
Troutman3000

My 1985 PolarKraft project

Post by Troutman3000 »

Keep up the good work man!

dixie_boysles

Post by dixie_boysles »

Troutman3000 wrote:Keep up the good work man!
Appreciate it, i am getting it the aluminum plate welded on the ouside bottom of the boat tomorrow as well as a small one welded on the back of all those holes where the transducer goes. I should be done sanding tomorrow as well. Then all i lack is putting marine epoxy in any screw holes around the boat and cleaning it up. Then it will be ready for paint!

dixie_boysles

Post by dixie_boysles »

Just ordered some Black Vinyl Die Cut Decals for my boat numbers and baot name! Cost me $15.00 locally!

My boat name is:

"Bass Akwards"

dixie_boysles

Post by dixie_boysles »

Here is the new boat name! It replaces the factory PolarKraft stickers. I have two of these. I love the font (BooPee font), I think it compliments the name well! It is in black vinyl. Hope ya'll like it. I think this will look awsome on gray paint

dyeguy1212

Post by dyeguy1212 »

pretty cool

dixie_boysles

Post by dixie_boysles »

alright, i picked up my flooring for the jon boat today! Its a bigass roadsign! No i didnt steal it, i bought it at local salvage yard...lol

I think this will be better than using plywood (ill neer have to replace it, thats for sure!)

Ill cover this in boat carpet and it will look awesome! I just have to get existing rivets out of it, clean it good, measure and cut and place in boat now!

270Handiman

Post by 270Handiman »

You can definately "spot prime" that boat. Your boat appears to have only the original OD Green paint on it, so it will actually blend pretty well. Because you have sanded it already, I would wipe down the bare areas that need priming with acetone (be sure to overlap out onto the good paint) and prime away. Personally, I would put 2 or 3 coats on to build the thickness up, then after it cured for 5 to 7 days I would lightly scuff the primed areas with a scotchbrite pad so that the finish is slick like the rest of the boat. Then just paint away with whatever regular paint you are going to use.

Because of the leaking rivets, it would probably be wise for you to go with Steelflex on the bottom before you do any other painting. Once the steelflex is on, it can be painted along with the rest of the boat. Here is the thread full of information about the stuff. Hope this helps.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=11977
270Handiman

If you can't get what you want, work with what you have!

My current project: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12125

dyeguy1212

Post by dyeguy1212 »

great find on that sign!

dixie_boysles

Post by dixie_boysles »

UPDATE: 2/3/10

Got some more sanding done last night! Almost done with that crap! We also went ahead and cut out the middle bench to make even more room in the boat; I'm going to put a fixed pedistal in place of the bench with a swivel seat on it. I use AutoCad everyday, so at work today, im going to draw out my floor template with measurements i took last night and then transfer the template to some thin plastic sheets that we use for templates for granite. That way I can just trace it onto my sign and cut it out!

I'm a little ticked because when i was cutting out the becnh, we placed an old blanket down in the bottom so i wouldnt get bottom of boat dirty from my boots. Well, unknowing to me, the blanket had oil on it and got a little on the floor of boat. So now i have to sand that part again and make sure i clean it extremely well where the oil was!

Troutman3000

Post by Troutman3000 »

That looks great so far.........Keep it up!

dixie_boysles

Post by dixie_boysles »

Here is general layout, trying to find out what to use to support floor where the beams u-shape.

Johnny5

Post by Johnny5 »

Looking good man, waiting to see whats happens next, i was thinking about doing the same thing with the bench seat in mine

russ010

Post by russ010 »

If you use aluminum, just run a piece of angle from one side to the other, and use a piece of square tubing in the very center to support it (I would honestly use tubing for the hole thing... but that's just me).

Or you can do the same thing with 2x2 wood

dixie_boysles

Post by dixie_boysles »

UPDATE:

Im picking up 25' of 1"x1" aluminum angle today. Im having it precut, so all i have to do is rivet it in. Im just going to do like russ^^^ said and run it from one side to the other on each rib. Then ill try to get some more alumiunum next week to fabricate my casting deck. then I should be ready for carpet and paint!

dixie_boysles

Post by dixie_boysles »

UPDATE:

Me and my buddy got the support system for the metal floor im putting in. The boat ribs are not flat which poses problems when putting a flat floor in...lol. So I bought some 1x1 aluminum angle and ran it side to side capped on the ribs. It was still giving in the middle some (more than I liked) so i also put som vertical angle in to support the middle . The flooring system is very stout now! I am using a 3/16"-1/4" thick roadsing i bought at the local salvage yard for my floor. It is being covered in gray marine carpet i bought at Lowes. My friend there got me a deal on a remnant he had that was 8'-9 3/4" x 6' for $20!!! that is enought to do my middle floor, and back bench! I still need to buy about 10 more feet I think. on to the pics:

here you can see the vertical support in the floor, this made it VERY stout.

Also, where the floor butts up to the face of the back bench, there was no support, so i riveted some angle there to support there