My 1985 PolarKraft project (HELP, I BROKE my boat! page 13)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_boysles

Reaction score
I am new to the forum. My name is Scott; I have a 1985 14' Polar Kraft Aluminum Jon boat. I bought this boat and trailer combo for $600. It have title for both, so it was a great deal! The trailer is a 1973 Cox Breakaway trailer that is in excellent shape. I had to cut on the tongue and bend it back as someone had jackknifed it at some point in its life. The boat is in great shape. It is not the prettiest thing right now as whoever tried to spraypaint it last sucked. Also, at some point a hole developed in the front of the boat and someone tried to weld it with wrond welder, so there is a huge weld puddle that i need to grind off and have welded back right (any welders near Mt Airy, NC). I need to paint the boat bad and have decided on Parker Coating Duck Boat Paint in Hunter Green from Cabelas. The carpet will probably be tan or something (havent quite decided that yet.) I guess i need to sand on the paint first. The company siad if I had existing paint, i could just asnd that to roughen up and spray/roll/brush it on. Im going to have a friend of mine spray it on for me at his body shop.

s7_220075_renderset_01

so far ive:

Trailer:
-Replaced the ugly running boards on trailer
-fixed saftey chains
-fixed trailer lights
-rewired whole trailer
-fixed bent tongue

Boat:
-pressurewashed boat
-Grinded and drill holes smooth (shards of metal that stick up when you drill into metal)
-Installed my fishfinder on back bench (will eventally go on the front when i get boat done)

Mods planned:

-Sand and paint both trailer and boat same color
-fix hub seal of passenger side wheel on trailer
-Install carpeted floors and sides in boat
-install cusioned swivel seats in boat
-build casting deck on the front with pedestal seat
-trade my 50 lbs thrust manual trolling motor for a foot controlled unit
eventually find gas motor as well

Pics:

Pictures1001-1.jpg

Pictures1002-1.jpg

Pictures1005-2.jpg

Pictures1004-1.jpg

Pictures1006-1.jpg

Here is my Papa welding on the trailer for me:

IMG00060-1.jpg

My truck and my boat:

Truck006-3.jpg

Welcome to the site.

If you're sanding down to bare aluminum, you'll want to use a Self Etching Primer which can be found at Auto Parts Stores, Walmart, etc.....

What Brine said, use Zinc Chromate Primer if going all the way down to bare Alu. If you are just roughing up the factory paint then you just need to use the primer the top side paint manufacturer recommends, whatever that is. Match your primer to your paint; if you are using a light color paint use light color primer and visa versa. Also get the primer for the right temperature, some (most) primers have temperature ratings for application.

i will be pulling it in my buddy's basement today to start the restore process.

on today's list:

-take boat off trailer and place on saw horses
-Grind any rough areas on boat
-get dimensions of boat to layout on autocad.

dyeguy1212 said:
Welcome.. I look forward to seeing your progress

speaking of progress, I just got off the phone with a friend, he has found a guy to fix that ugly welded spot on my boat for free! We're going to weld of the JB weld that was placed on top, then sand the surrounding area and have it ready for the huy to weld on tomorrow!

dixie_boysles said:
dyeguy1212 said:
Welcome.. I look forward to seeing your progress

speaking of progress, I just got off the phone with a friend, he has found a guy to fix that ugly welded spot on my boat for free! We're going to weld of the JB weld that was placed on top, then sand the surrounding area and have it ready for the huy to weld on tomorrow!

Can't beat that price

Hey dixieboysles! Cant wait to see your progress on your boat. Better hurry though those smallmouth will be biting before too long! albright1695-fellow tinboats.net and ncangler.com member

ok, got the spot grinded on and paint removed around it for welding today! There is also a lip on the front of the boat that was tore up so we cut that off and we're going to put a piece of aluminm angle there. We also removed two anchor tie downs because im going with new ones!

My buddy doing some grinding:

SU1HMDAxNDAuanBn-1.jpg

Removing tiedowns:

SU1HMDAxNDIuanBn-1.jpg

The piece of metal that is on also got removed. It was messed up. Its getting a piece of aluminum angle put in its place. Im just going to pop rivet that in though.

The spot in floor gining me so much trouble

SU1HMDAxNDEuanBn-1.jpg

SU1HMDAxNDMuanBn-1.jpg

It gets an aluminum plate welded to it today to strengen it as well as seat that area off.

then maybe i can start on some sanding and priming! Also, as far as little screw wholes and stuff, would it be ok to use an marine eposy and fill them with it, then when it dries and hardens, just sand it down even with boat? help please. i want a nice finish on the boat when its done. Also, where is a good place to get the aluminum oxide primer for the boat; is it ok if I use that but dont remove all paint down to bare metal? I dont want to remove all the paint, but there are bare betal spots, what would be best primer for this application...on the cheap?

as far as paint goes... I would just use any self etching primer - it doesn't have to be sanded all the way down to the bare aluminum to work... just get rid of all the bad paint.

I used zinc chromate as my primer, but I've seen a lot of guys (and I did on my current boat) use regular spray can etching primer. I got mine at Lowe's... and the paint I'm using is the Krylon Camo paint in tan like you get at walmart... it actually looks pretty good and I've decided to paint my whole boat with that stuff.

russ010 said:
as far as paint goes... I would just use any self etching primer - it doesn't have to be sanded all the way down to the bare aluminum to work... just get rid of all the bad paint.

I used zinc chromate as my primer, but I've seen a lot of guys (and I did on my current boat) use regular spray can etching primer. I got mine at Lowe's... and the paint I'm using is the Krylon Camo paint in tan like you get at walmart... it actually looks pretty good and I've decided to paint my whole boat with that stuff.

Sounds good! I guess ill pick up a few cans (how many cans you think it will take?). Now what about the small holes where things have been mounted before? Can i use marine epoxy or regular epoxy to fill them in and then sand down?

also, what grit sandpaper should i use? I was told 150, but im not too sure.

I just got a 1970 14' polar kraft and trailer,so I can't wait to see
what you do on it cause I figure what works on yours will work
on mine!
adodger69

adodger69 said:
on mine!
adodger69
Good deal! My plans are to use aluminum framing to build front deck support back to second support rib. Then I will remove middle bench for open floor plan. Then on the back, I plan on building a deck as well (basically extending bench back to back of boat) I want a storage on backside of front deck as well. Also, for all the seats, I plan on using one of those plates with the holes in them for removable seats. I will have ne on back deck with optional pedestal to raise u up. I will have one in middle of floor and one on front deck. I will also hack into back bench and remove foam as to create storage there as well. My Garmin 140 fishfinder will be mounted on front deck.

adodger69 said:
on mine!
adodger69
Good deal! My plans are to use aluminum framing to build front deck support back to second support rib. Then I will remove middle bench for open floor plan. Then on the back, I plan on building a deck as well (basically extending bench back to back of boat) I want a storage on backside of front deck as well. Also, for all the seats, I plan on using one of those plates with the holes in them for removable seats. I will have ne on back deck with optional pedestal to raise u up. I will have one in middle of floor and one on front deck. I will also hack into back bench and remove foam as to create storage there as well. My Garmin 140 fishfinder will be mounted on front deck.

I', tore on what to do as far as primer. I've made up my mind to use self-etcjing primer in a spraycan from walmart. I was told that if I wasnt going down to bare metal, jsut to rough up paint on baot and them paint. But there are bare spots on the boat where there is no paint. Should I just sand and spot primel or should id bite the bullet and prime the whole thing I dont really want to remove all the paint to the metal. Do you think it would be ok just to sand and use self-etching primer over the whole boat. Suggestions please.

dixie_boysles said:
I', tore on what to do as far as primer. I've made up my mind to use self-etcjing primer in a spraycan from walmart. I was told that if I wasnt going down to bare metal, jsut to rough up paint on baot and them paint. But there are bare spots on the boat where there is no paint. Should I just sand and spot primel or should id bite the bullet and prime the whole thing I dont really want to remove all the paint to the metal. Do you think it would be ok just to sand and use self-etching primer over the whole boat. Suggestions please.

Yes

Latest posts