Gear Ratio for jerk bait fish

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gear Ratio

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

xmytruck

Reaction score
Hello
I was wondering what gear ratio you would select to fish hard and soft jerk baits?

I think the faster the better when it comes to jerk baits. You want to pick up the slack line as fast as you can. Most bites happen at the pause. So with a quicker line retrieve you might have a better chance at a solid hookset.

Sounds good to me LOL! :D

6 to 1 or better for the reasons jim mentioned, I fish mainly worms with a 5 to 1 extreme reel and have to crank my arm off if im swimming a stick bait..... Cant imagine fishing a jerk bait on that reel

I agree with everything jim said. It is a lot easier to slow down than speed up.plus these days, you don't have to worry about losing power since many gears are oversized/stronger

Well just to add my .02 worth I would go even higher I would go with a burner 7.0 to 1
I fish soft jerk baits around schooling fish and they can move around a lot, so I want to be able to get my lure back to the boat as fast as possible so I can make the next cast to the school.
One other thing to remember is that with a higher gear ratio you LOSE power.
Think of towing a boat or trailer you don't use your over drive (HIGHER GEAR RATIO ) you stay in drive and down shift on hills.

Wayne

redbug said:
Well just to add my .02 worth I would go even higher I would go with a burner 7.0 to 1
I fish soft jerk baits around schooling fish and they can move around a lot, so I want to be able to get my lure back to the boat as fast as possible so I can make the next cast to the school.
One other thing to remember is that with a higher gear ratio you LOSE power.
Think of towing a boat or trailer you don't use your over drive (HIGHER GEAR RATIO ) you stay in drive and down shift on hills.

Wayne
however these days that is hardly an issue.

Latest posts