How do you put new line on your reel

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just lay the spool on it's flat side, label facing the cieling. Just reel in the slack. Works for me!

I change a lot of line so I picked up the Berkley line station , it holds my reels and I can adjust the tension as it goes on

but you can use a pencil between your legs and an old sock loaded with line conditioner to apply tension and coat your line

I found the best way to do it is just reel it on anyway you can (I usually just leave it in the box and try to keep it on it side) and when it gets full,tie it off to a fence post or the corner of the house or whatever you can walk off all your line and then reel it in while keeping the line pretty tight as you reel it in.Works great and it doesn't get all the loops in it (especially on spinning reels) and your line is stretched just enough to be spooled good and you'll even cast it better!

Fishin NJ said:
I put the spool on my floor then run the line through the center of our phone book a place a light book on top of that.

I then go through my eyes to the rod and connect to the reel. I sit about 10 feet away and start reeling, i keep my rod tip high with just a slight curve to the rod tip as well as keep the line going through my fingers by the reel, reel in to the spool is 3/4 full cut and done. adding to taking away weight on top of the phone book sets your tension.

This is for a baitcaster for spinning you need to be sure the line comes off the spool in the right direction or you will get birds nest like crazy!!!!!!!
be careful... you would be surprised how much damage you do to your line that way. now if you took a wet/damp cloth inside the book that would work just wet your some kind of lubrication..

Wayne

kentuckybassman said:
I found the best way to do it is just reel it on anyway you can (I usually just leave it in the box and try to keep it on it side) and when it gets full,tie it off to a fence post or the corner of the house or whatever you can walk off all your line and then reel it in while keeping the line pretty tight as you reel it in.Works great and it doesn't get all the loops in it (especially on spinning reels) and your line is stretched just enough to be spooled good and you'll even cast it better!
my father in law would switch his braid this way . after half the season he would hook it to the fence walk it off tie the end to the fence and reel the old stuff on the bottom..

Power Pro has a neat little design where you just put the box between your knees and apply a little pressure to control the tension while reeling. Works fine except I get leg cramps when trying to put 300 yds on my reel.

pbw said:
BassAddict said:
what kind of reel ya spooling?

My new bait caster I got for Christmas. Bass Pro Shops® ProLite Finesse Baitcast Reel and Rod Combo

Let me say again I've been doing some practice with this combo and I love it. You really have to try to bird nest it! It doesn't need much weight at all to cast. I'm going to buy another with a stiffer rod...

pbw said:
pbw said:
BassAddict said:
what kind of reel ya spooling?

My new bait caster I got for Christmas. Bass Pro Shops® ProLite Finesse Baitcast Reel and Rod Combo

Let me say again I've been doing some practice with this combo and I love it. You really have to try to bird nest it! It doesn't need much weight at all to cast. I'm going to buy another with a stiffer rod...

LOL! Im glad you like it!

I do the pencil through the fill spool thing but I hold it with my feet with the pencil in my toes.

I just lay the spool on the ground and then hold the line with my fingers one foot in front of the reel. I then let all my line out behind the boat and then reel it it and then I tie on a lure. :D

Im thinking of picking up the machine Redbug has....The Berkly spooling station. :D

Jim said:
I just lay the spool on the ground and then hold the line with my fingers one foot in front of the reel. I then let all my line out behind the boat and then reel it it and then I tie on a lure. :D

Im thinking of picking up the machine Redbug has....The Berkly spooling station. :D
It is sweet I can change line on 10 reels in under an hour that includes stripping the line. you will be very happy

The first thing I do (if it's a brand new spool of line out of the box) is to get a bowl of warm, not hot, water and drop the entire spool in it for a few minutes. The purpose being to "remove" some of the memory from it. I've tried new spools before without doing the warm water thing and noticed some memory after spooling it on the reel. When spooling it on to the reel, I put the spool on a pencil taped between two chair backs, and sit across the room and keep tension on the line with my finger. The chair backs are also pushed against the spool slightly so that it doesn't spin too freely. I have the line coming off the top of the spool onto the reel.

I use a thing I got at BPS bout 8 years ago called rack & reel, it has a tension bar with a wheel on it and a small spring for the adjusting
100_0291.jpg

ezspool_about_01.jpg

I recently picked up a pack of PP in the new EZ Spool feature. It worked great, it is a hard plastic package with a hole that come out the top and the spool of line sits inside. You put the package between you knees so you can apply pressure to the spool while you feed line on to your reel. Simple concept that works.

the line cutter feature is also nice to have and it works as well.

Latest posts