smoking meats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbug

Reaction score
Does anyone here have a smoker that they use on a regular basis?
I have a stand up propane model that has 5 levels that my wife and I use all year long her baby back ribs are to die for.

she soaks the ribs in buttermilk and apple juice over night. Then she smokes them with a med smoke low temp around 225* for an hour uncovered removes them wraps them in foil and then cooks them for 2.5 hours longer at 250* then dips the in her home made BBQ sauce.
the meat falls off the bones yummy...

I got a propane one that my wife bought at BPS for my birthday (Sept) I have smoked 3 turkeys and at least 5 batches of salmon. Have yet to try any thing else but was thinking about a pork roast or some ribs. Is that soak a 50/50 mixture? What kind of wood are you using. I used hickory for the turkey and alder for the salmon. Does she do the follow up cooking (wrapped) in the smoker of does she take them in and use the oven?

flounderhead59 said:
I got a propane one that my wife bought at BPS for my birthday (Sept) I have smoked 3 turkeys and at least 5 batches of salmon. Have yet to try any thing else but was thinking about a pork roast or some ribs. Is that soak a 50/50 mixture? What kind of wood are you using. I used hickory for the turkey and alder for the salmon. Does she do the follow up cooking (wrapped) in the smoker of does she take them in and use the oven?

A whole turkey man that is great and on the list.
We have done fresh turkey breast also and full roast beef.
We use hickory for the smoke and the follow up is in the oven
the soak is a 50/50 mix the buttermilk helps break down the muscle and works to tenderize the ribs
we also use apple juice in the water bowl in the smoker
she will come home for lunch and put the turkey breast in the smoker and it is done around 6ish... and it is so juicy
Wayne

I'll dig out the brine recipe for my turkey tomorrow. Till then, this is what an 11lber looks like about a half hour before complete.

Turkey_001_%28600_x_450%29.jpg

Here's my recipe

BRINE:
2 gallons water
1 1/2 cups canning salt
3 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar

Brine 10-12 hours. Smoking time was just about 10 hours (11 lb bird). Average smoker temp was 210 to 225 degrees. Used Hickory chips

One word:

DELISH

Make that 2 votes for apple wood. I use hickory on occasion and sometimes mix a little hickory with apple to add a little more smokey flavor to something. Have always wanted to try alder.