The 14' Jet boat project (update 7/19/2010 Video on page 4)

ihavenoideawhattoput

The 14' Jet boat project

Post by ihavenoideawhattoput »

All wiring is complete aside from trying to locate a place to put the trim switch. 90% complete on the front deck, need to do some sealing before going any further. Gauges are mounted. Relocated center seat has been fully riveted into place. Going to attempt to get the side bracing carpeted Wednesday afternoon. 70% of all rivets and bracing on the floor have been silicone sealed with 100% silicon.

Still waiting on oil pump block off kit to arrive, I could have built one by now.

2 days left to get it on the water this week or it will have to wait until next week, not in a hurry just ready for a leak test so I can get started on the flooring. I will try to get some more photo's posted but not a lot of photo type progress has taken place.

ihavenoideawhattoput

The 14' Jet boat project

Photo Updates

Front Nose

Test Fit, I hacked the crap out of the scrap piece of carpet

Big Sexy (and it turns over)

MadCatX

The 14' Jet boat project

Post by MadCatX »

Does the control yolk feel comfortable or is that one in place for test purposes?

ihavenoideawhattoput

The 14' Jet boat project

MadCatX wrote:Does the control yolk feel comfortable or is that one in place for test purposes?
I really like how it feels. I am trying to locate a 2 way monetary switch small enough to fit inside the top for the trim also.

It seems to be in the perfect spot at the right angle, you can hold it in several different positions and still control the throttle smoothly. I am unsure I like the fact that in order to go right you have to push left though. I rode motorcycle for awhile so it feels natural in a weird sort of way. It also allows you to lean into the turns easier. I know a fix but requires more modifications then I want to tackle before getting it in the water and seeing how I like it.

Standing water test is Thursday. I will not be able to run it because last night I realized I ordered the wrong oil block off plate.

MadCatX

The 14' Jet boat project

Post by MadCatX »

There is a dude on you tube they call Crazy Caprisi or something like that that has a set up like this.

It doesn't look as well placed as yours I am curious to see what kind of speeds and handling you're going to see.

That thing looks like its going to be a blast to drive. Freaking helicopter style lol.

ihavenoideawhattoput

The 14' Jet boat project

Last night cleaned up wiring and mounted guages, no water test yet, Looks like this weekend we might get one done. I will finish sanding and priming the interior this afternoon.

Carpet was glued down with liquid nail, let sit over night, then wraped around the edges and nailed to the underside with button fastners that roofers use to hold the tar paper in place.

MadCatX

The 14' Jet boat project

Post by MadCatX »

Nice looks clean -looking forward to hearing about the water test.

ihavenoideawhattoput

The 14' Jet boat project

IT FLOATS!

ihavenoideawhattoput

The 14' Jet boat project

Troutman3000

The 14' Jet boat project

Post by Troutman3000 »

Awesome _ what was the top speed?

ihavenoideawhattoput

The 14' Jet boat project (with Video)

Still had the same dirty carbs on it. I didn't take a GPS with me so my seat of the pants tells me something around 15 to 20.

The highspeed jet was clogged, fixed that last night so we will see what it does in the next few days. I may still end up sending the carbs out for a rebuild, just have to see how well it does.

It did leak right where I thought it would. Easy fix and not a big deal. We will get it out on the water again later this week and see what is does with a GPS.

MadCatX

The 14' Jet boat project

Post by MadCatX »

Awesome I will watch the video later.

S&MFISH

Post by S&MFISH »

Really nice.Did it take on any water?
ANOTHER ONE OF THE "JET" GUYS
WISHIN' WE WAS FISHIN'-----Steve & Margaret (B.A.S.S.--NAFC--NSMC--AnglersLegacyAmbassador--"Just Goin' Fishin' ")

ihavenoideawhattoput

S&MFISH wrote:Really nice.Did it take on any water?
Yes, exactly where I thought it would. As soon as we backed it in the water I said, hey look a leak. Dropped the jet shoe off last night and fixed it. We also had water running under the lip around the edge of the boat when we put alot of weight in the front. This will be fixed tonight. Test duece might come this week. Still have not put the hitch on the Jeep.

Also learned a few more things last night.

We forgot to hook up the crank case oil inlet and the exaust cooling pump was not wired. Also cleaned the carbs again and can now bounce the motor off the rev limiter which it would not do before, might not need a rebuild on them after all. We will see.

My oil pump block off plate arrived yesterday and was installed, also worked on getting a few other guages working and for the life of me can not figure it out. Still tracing wires and checking fuses and grounds. The Tach is not working.

MadCatX

Post by MadCatX »

Nice Nice -I wonder if there any resistors or relays as to why the tach is giving you problems. Could the tach be faulty?

I estimate now with getting the things hooked up and carbs cleaned your top speed will improve. I watched the video - you're going to have a blast with that thing.