Photo shop

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a Mac so my response may be irrelevant to most here. Photoshop is a packaged software product. I get mine through work so I don't know how much it costs. I believe lowercase "photo shop" may generically refer to any kind of photo manipulation software and there are many. I have saved many photo's by being able to change them - it's worth buying and learning.

you can get a trial download of photoshop elements 8 here: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=photoshop_elements&promoid=DZHDI

not sure how long it lasts but before the trial period ends just uninstall it and reinstall the trial again, I bet it will work :p

In most cases trial versions of Adobe Products will allow you to save or print, they are full functioning versions for the 30 days with the option to purchase the key after the fact.

Froggy,
Lots of good free alternatives. What are you trying to accomplish? Basic touch-ups, cropping and red eye fixing?

Look at Gimp: https://www.gimp.org/

and IrfranView: https://www.irfanview.com/

Both Excellent products.

If you are thinking about Photoshop I would go with Photoshop Elements 8 its about 80 bucks or something like that. Its a very powerful program you don't need photoshop CS5. Less you are rich and don't mind spending $900 dollars on a program :LOL2: and most of the stuff on CS5 you will never use. But if you would get Elements 8 I would get a book to help you learn it. I have The Photoshop elements 8 book with Scott Kelby and Matt Kloskowski very good book well worth the money. The book will work if you have a PC or a MAC.

Froggy said:
Is photo shop a program you download or is it a package you purchase and then load up? Either way I know little about it, would be interested on some opinions./ Thanks

Both you can dowlload it or buy it from the store. I just downloaded mine. Much easier then to go out and buy.

BassAddict said:
Another good free program is paint.net which I prefer over GIMP

This is the program I use, and I really like it. I haven't tried any of the others, however, since using paint.net, I haven't really needed to.

Here is a link to get "Paint.net"

https://www.getpaint.net/

Sidenote: BTW, This is NOT the "MS Paint" that comes with every version of windows.

Bubba said:
BassAddict said:

This is the program I use, and I really like it. I haven't tried any of the others, however, since using paint.net, I haven't really needed to.

Sidenote: BTW, This is NOT the "MS Paint" that comes with every version of windows.

I've never used Paint.net, and always thought it was the MSPaint, so I didn't inquire about it any further, and went on to use Gimp.

Before I download it I have a few questions:

1) has it caused any glitches (in the program itself, or your computer) that you're aware of?
2) can you work in layers?
3) does it allow you to work on a duplicate/copy of an original photo?
4) does it save the metadata from the original photo to the dulpicate copy?

Waterwings said:
Bubba said:
BassAddict said:

I've never used Paint.net, and always thought it was the MSPaint, so I didn't inquire about it any further, and went on to use Gimp.

Before I download it I have a few questions:

1) has it caused any glitches (in the program itself, or your computer) that you're aware of?
2) can you work in layers?
3) does it allow you to work on a duplicate/copy of an original photo?
4) does it save the metadata from the original photo to the dulpicate copy?

1) - As far as I know, I haven't ever experienced any glitches as long as everything is installed right. One time I tried to install a newer "add-on effect" onto an older version of it and all I had to do was re-install the newer version of the program to accept the new add-on(it has alot of special features which you can download, from my understanding much like PS.

2) - Yup, You can work in layers

3) - I'm not quite sure what you mean here, When I want to mess with an original photo(but keep the original intact, I just save a copy of it within windows(wherever i have that image saved), then open it and start working. Or you could open the original and work on it, and just remember to "save-as" when you try to save your work.

4) - As far as the metadata, I'm not quite sure....I haven't ever really looked that far into it. I don't really use the program to alter photos all that much, Most of what I use it for is custom stuff(ie. most of the banners on this site, etc).

Thanks, Bubba :) .

3) In Gimp when you load the original shot, you can click on "Duplicate" and it brings up a copy of the original to work on, and you can mess with it however doing changes and not have to worry about screwing-up the original.

4) The metadata (EXIF) info can come in handy as a historical tool if you want to go back and check to see camera settings you might have used for a similar shot. In the contests I sometimes enter, the EXIF data has to be intact and part of the photo. Most, if not all, dslr's will record the EXIF data. Here's a cut & paste shot of some EXIF info from one of my shots as an example:

EXIF Information
File name: night_shot2_-_Copy.jpg
File size: 97307 bytes
File date: 2010:06:29 11:16:22
Camera make: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera model: NIKON D3000
Date/Time: 2010:06:28 22:12:08
Resolution: 640 x 402
Flash used: No
Focal length: 200.0mm (35mm equivalent: 300mm)
Exposure time: 10.000 s
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO equiv.: 200
Exposure bias: 0
Whitebalance: Auto
Metering Mode: matrix
Exposure: program (auto)

If you feel you have to pay for a program, Photoshop Elements is probably your best choice. But, as stated, Gimp is free and very powerful. It will do all you want and is capable of more than you need. There are lots of free tutorials online for almost any of the image manipulation programs. Just Google for the program name tutorials and you will have how to's for almost any task, with pictures of the steps included in many of them.

They all take some time to learn and the learning curve is steeper with some than others. Some have more batch conversion options and resizing tools than others, while others are better for actually manipulating the image itself. I have several programs of this type installed and use them for different tasks. Irfanview is probably best free program for batch conversion and resizing on the fly without ruining the resolution of the picture while Gimp, IMHO, is the best of the freebies for image manipulation.

I have both Photoshop & Photoshop Elements as well as Gimp, Irfanview and Paintshop Pro installed along with a few others for specific purposes like MatchHead for color matching.

HTH.

Latest posts