Crappie Rod/Reel

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Reaction score
I've been fishing for crappie and blue gills using your standard typical 5 - 5.5 foot ultra light. I've been thinking about adding an 8 or 9 footer to my collection. BPS has some Mr. Crappie rods and reels for sale. Anyone use them? How do you like them? Should I instead of the Mr. Crappie reel, go with something like a Shimano Sedona?

I have never tried the Mr. Crappie reel - but for $20.00 I would not expect too much. i suggest that if you do not want to spend too much that you look into getting a used reel of higher quality.

The Sedona is a nice reel, I use the heck out of mine. I woudl not purchase another as I am discouraged becuase it how worm out it is. It works fine, but the handle is wobbly and the drag system wears out rather quickly. I am on my third drag in two years.

I give a thumbs down to both reels because of their limited life span. Also, the Mr. Crappie reel uses a quick fire system which means the spool will back spin at least a half turn before the anti-reverse engages, this can and will cause you to miss fast striking fish.

If I was going to purchase a new reel in this price range I woudl go with the Shimano Symetre Spinning Reel - Front Drag 2500FI. I really like the design of this reel, it is the next generation of the Sedona and it look like Shimano fixed some of the wear points. This reel will work great for Crappie and all around bass fishing

Finally did it. Plopped down the money for a Symetre 750FI and a Wally Marshall 7' Crappie Ultra light rod. Aside from $30.00 I couldn't really tell the difference between this one and the Sedona. The Sedona has 3 bearings and the Symetre 5 but that's about all I could see. Both were real smooth in operation. Figured, what the heck and got the Symetre. After 3 hours in the freezer it still cranked smooth. The bail was a little harder to close but should be fine for the coldest it's going to see in actual operation. I forgot to get some line for it so I'll have to do that tomorrow.

flounderhead59 said:
Finally did it. Plopped down the money for a Symetre 750FI and a Wally Marshall 7' Crappie Ultra light rod. Aside from $30.00 I couldn't really tell the difference between this one and the Sedona. The Sedona has 3 bearings and the Symetre 5 but that's about all I could see. Both were real smooth in operation. Figured, what the heck and got the Symetre. After 3 hours in the freezer it still cranked smooth. The bail was a little harder to close but should be fine for the coldest it's going to see in actual operation. I forgot to get some line for it so I'll have to do that tomorrow.

LOL! Nice test....... :D