Spinning reel drag preference

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Reaction score
Do you prefer a front drag over a rear drag on a spinning reel?
Why?
I have both and it really doesn't matter either way to me. Maybe front is a little easier to adjust with a fish on.

I like the front drag system - usually much smoother and the reel is always a few ounces lighter. Additionally, the front drag system is easy to clean, service, and replace.

Front

esquired made some good valid points. I'd like to add that a front drag has a much larger surface area than a rear drag and that relates to a better quality drag that is typically smoother with more ability to adjust.

I cant stand rear drag. mainly cuz I've had a few reardrag reels and they dont seem to last as long as front drag reels, nor are the as smooth.

Now that I really think about it the only reel that I have that I really like and has the rear drag is my OLD Zebco Cardinal 4 (1972 version)

flounderhead59 said:
Now that I really think about it the only reel that I have that I really like and has the rear drag is my OLD Zebco Cardinal 4 (1972 version)
Was that one of those old green reels? Or was it like a model 1oo something or other? Iv'e got one somewhere but I forget where I put it .

Oh yea,as far as the question goes, I like the drag on front that way if you need to adjust with a fish on it is much easier for me with it on the top instead of trying to mess with it on the bottom and end up losing your fish.......which I have done!! :evil:

Latest posts