My new split grips

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkbirocz

Reaction score
I got bored late in december and early this month and started cutting up my old rods. I started with an old st. croix premier 6'6" med action. I split the rear grip and removed the front grip. I also started on a junky abu 6'6" med action, and an old 7'6" abu black max flippin stick. I left the front grip on the big black max, but shaped it down with a razor blade and abrasive paper. Of course none of these rods are completed and I have obviously lost interest in the project, but I'll finish them sometime. Regardless, all of the rods are more comfortable and more apealing to me, so I am happy. The st. croix premier is close to 10 years old and now I like it better than the day I bought it.

St. Croix
stcroix14.jpg

Abu
abu1.jpg

Black Max
blackmax.jpg

Nice job Dude, you just cut away the old cork?

Dave, why would the cork crumble? whats that thingy over the a in your name, is your name pronounced, "Dah-vee" now?

shamoo said:
Dave, why would the cork crumble? whats that thingy over the a in your name, is your name pronounced, "Dah-vee" now?

Mr. Shamoo, I am thinking that the exposed unprotected edge of the cork might start to crumble or flake. Usually, I see a wrap of seal at the edge of cork handles.

And yes, you nailed the pronunciation of my new name :wink:

Nothing is needed to protect the ends of the cork.

Decorative wraps at the end of cork are typically there to hide any flaws at the glue joint.

I use a product by U-40 call Cork Seal to seal up the cork.

nice job Jake.... they look like they came that way..

now that you have stopped smoking you have the scratch to become a real tackle junkie.
We All need some type of vice

Wayne

Thanks everyone, I do plan to seal the cork ends with something, thanks for the suggestion Mattman. Although I sure do spend less without smoking, I think I'll wait till I find a job till I go too crazy with tackle. Ths job hunt is on.... :x Maybe Ill just go get my masters degree :wink:

I tried this with my old flippin stick, did not turn out as nice. Howd you get all the cork off, its been a while but i think i just chopped away at it with a ulity knife, I also gave up on my project, still do use the rod from time to time but it doesnt look as nice as those. Nice work.

To get the cork off I made two initial cuts around the cork for the length of the split I wanted. Then I made 4 cuts lengthwise to quarter up the cork. I made all cuts with a razor blade. I then pried the cork off between the quartering cuts and then sliced away at the remaining cork and epoxy. It was a huge pain the a** but I was bored and had nothing else to do. I shaped the remaining cork with a razor blade, small file, and abrasive paper.

All of the rods were still sealed with epoxy, but it was not an even coat of it. It was just used to glue the cork to the blank. This is why I cut it all off with a razor. I really couldn't think of any other way to get it off. If I would have used sand paper I would have definately sanded into the blank, since it was so uneven. I probly could have done a better job with an x-acto knife, but the blades dulled very fast so I was not gonna spend the extra money for x-acto blades.

Next time I get bored I will take pictures of the process instead of just the, somewhat, end result.

i to tried this and used the link you had in another post and did a bad job(i think) so i stoped so i would not total the rod i only made a few cuts so it was all good :roll:

I did this to one of my Wal-Mart Special's but I left a lot of the glue on the blank. I didn't have a heat gun or whatever the instructions I was using said to use, and I didn't have the patience to chip all the bits of glue off. That job you did looks professional!

FishinsMyLife317 said:
I did this to one of my Wal-Mart Special's but I left a lot of the glue on the blank. I didn't have a heat gun or whatever the instructions I was using said to use, and I didn't have the patience to chip all the bits of glue off. That job you did looks professional!

you try goof-off?

i used fine grit sandpaper ill try goo gone or something. i posted mine in watering hole i dident want to hijack your thread :D

I didn't try any solvents, other than rubbing alcohol just to clean up. I was not aware of any sovents for epoxy other than acetone, and I was doing my work in my bedroom so I didn't want to bother with that. I figured a heat gun was out cause I didnt want to damage the blanks. I was thinking of giving the exposed blank a wrap of fiberglass, mainly for looks, and for strength if I did mess up the blank at all.

Latest posts