My New 1448 Flat Bottom Project.

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
You must be a registered user to be able to read the posts in this forum
SaltyBuckster

Post by SaltyBuckster »

Wait to see the next couple of pics.Everything on the outboard is painted now.I'm doing the motor part right now.Trying to figure out what colors to paint the tiller handle and bracket.I'm thinking camo brown.To break up all the OD Green,lol.Coming in a couple of hours.
"Panfish Slayer" and the occasional "Green Carp"
My 14' Flat Bottom Project!

Sea Nymph Striper CC-191 (Reborn)

SaltyBuckster

Post by SaltyBuckster »

Well,almost done with the outboard.Have a side to paint tomorrow and then throw it all back together and start it up.I still had a broken bolt in the exhaust on the top that I forgot about.Had it about drilled out but ran out of juice in my cordless drill.Early tomorrow morning I will get that one out and start putting it back together.I'm going for the real camo look.I painted with 3 differant ultra flat colors.Will tye them all up with some stenciling when it is all together.
Here's the motor part with the half bolt still stuck in it.lol.
Here's the cowl painted a desert tan.
Here's the extension and the lower unit.See the differance in the colors?

SaltyBuckster

Post by SaltyBuckster »

How do you like the fishing equiptment room ??lol.That's my big Plano Saltwater fishing tackle box.And the Okuma saltwater fishing rod holder full of GIANT 80 lb. test Tuna rods.Still deciding what color to paint my prop.I'm thinking darker green with tan stripes,lol.

jasper60103

Post by jasper60103 »

azslabber,
that's going to be one sharp looking motor (and rig).
I wish you could do mine. Can you describe the process a little more
in detail, e.g. How did you clean/prep the motor and cowl? Also, did you use etching primer
on the motor? What kind of paints did you use? Thanks.
Last edited by jasper60103 on 22 Dec 2010, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.
2018 Tracker Grizzly 1648
2018 30 HP Suzuki DF30A

RBuffordTJ

Post by RBuffordTJ »

I see Grandma is still grounded since her walker is occupied. :lol:

SaltyBuckster

Post by SaltyBuckster »

I used all Rustoleum spray cans.That way if it got scraped up $3.48 would fix it.All the parts of this motor are aluminum,except for the cowl,which is fiberglass,I believe.I used 320 grit wet,or Scotch Brite pads in the red color.The motor was'nt all beat up so there was'nt any deep gouges or scrapes to sand out.It just looked crappy,lol.I was a prep guy about 30 years ago.Sanded lots and lots of cars.Doing this was fun,not them.Biggest thing is having a very clean surface with spray cans.And every bare aluminum surface has to be self etched.Especially the rivit heads that keep going bare if you sand then too much.You want primer on everything.No bare aluminum spots.AT ALL.3 coats of paint.Let them dry between coats until it fashes off to a flat looking before putting a second or thiird coat on.I've got 2 cans of spray paint on the motor,so far.Doe'nt take much.Will probably take three.I'm going to use clear coat over the top of everything after the stenciling is done.It's for looks and I like it,not for hiding from ducks,as I don't hunt.I think it is cool,lol.I'll show some before and after shots when it is done.

thad.

Post by thad. »

Looks great!
Makes me want to paint my motors.
Thad Eckhoff
Hattiesburg, MS

jasper60103

Post by jasper60103 »

azslabber wrote:I used all Rustoleum spray cans.That way if it got scraped up $3.48 would fix it.All the parts of this motor are aluminum,except for the cowl,which is fiberglass,I believe.I used 320 grit wet,or Scotch Brite pads in the red color.The motor was'nt all beat up so there was'nt any deep gouges or scrapes to sand out.It just looked crappy,lol.I was a prep guy about 30 years ago.Sanded lots and lots of cars.Doing this was fun,not them.Biggest thing is having a very clean surface with spray cans.And every bare aluminum surface has to be self etched.Especially the rivit heads that keep going bare if you sand then too much.You want primer on everything.No bare aluminum spots.AT ALL.3 coats of paint.Let them dry between coats until it fashes off to a flat looking before putting a second or thiird coat on.I've got 2 cans of spray paint on the motor,so far.Doe'nt take much.Will probably take three.I'm going to use clear coat over the top of everything after the stenciling is done.It's for looks and I like it,not for hiding from ducks,as I don't hunt.I think it is cool,lol.I'll show some before and after shots when it is done.
Thanks for the info, azslabber.
Maybe I'll make my rig look pretty one day.
Again, great job.
2018 Tracker Grizzly 1648
2018 30 HP Suzuki DF30A

SaltyBuckster

Post by SaltyBuckster »

It's coming together.Should be ready to start up on Saturday while I am applying the steel Flex on the boat.I think that I'm going to paint the bracket and tiller handle metal BROWN.

SaltyBuckster

Post by SaltyBuckster »

Merry Christmas everyone !!!Still waiting on the grommet on top of my water pump before I can put the lower unit back on.I guess that a Christmas Day steel flex application is in store for me,That will be a first for me,lol.

smittles1179

Post by smittles1179 »

looks great! Everyone is doing cool stuff out there...I remember just 3 years ago...so much less shared info out there. This is great. Nice job.
Smittles
Old Town Predator K138 Fishing Kayak
Tracker Grizzly 1448 Jon Boat
2011 Dodge Ram 1500
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83VzpTd1xVs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuFpP-M9YO4

bt4264

Post by bt4264 »

Any updates??

RSG

Post by RSG »

Wow, this is so inspiring! I noticed there are no more posts since December 2010! Does that mean it's done and you're too busy fishing to post? :)

gillhunter

Post by gillhunter »

Any updates?

SaltyBuckster

Post by SaltyBuckster »

I sold the boat to my buddy in Arizona before I moved to Pennsylvania.The boat was cool.But not much more then my last post except for putting the motor together and giving up the ole girl.I'm an ocean fisherman now and am doing my 1989 Sea Nymph project right now.Take a look.