Al's '65 Grumman 19' Sportboat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AirAl

Reaction score
Hi all. I'd been looking for a boat for about a year and finally found this gem... a 1965 Grumman 19' Sportboat. It was last in service as a crabbing boat in Maryland. I paid $650 for it with the 80 HP Merc 800 on the back. Power is another story... max HP is 100 though. Grumman probably made less than 100 of these boats.

Here are a few basic pics:
Grumman.jpg

GrummanLeft.jpg

GrummanInside.jpg

GrummanInRight.jpg

GrummanInLeft.jpg

GrummanDash.jpg

GrummanBack.jpg

GrummanBackSeats.jpg

This old girl will become my Lake Erie fishing boat, so my conversion project will focus on fishing functionality primarily. I'd also like to be able to pull the kids in a tube, so some comfort is desirable. I'm not looking to "restore" this boat. I want to sort of modernize it.

I'll re-paint the hull... but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort to remove the old paint first. There is white over blue on the sides which didn't work out very well (cracking and pealing).

So far, the plan for the inside is to pull out all the old wood, using some pieces as templates for replacement wood possibly. I'll leave all the aluminum in tact to avoid any loss of structural integrity. I'd like to build in some storage and see potential for side storage and floor storage, as well as storage under the front deck. From the pics you can see that the boat has a clever fold up seat arrangement in the back, which doubles as storage underneath, near the transom. I'm thinking I'll custom make some upholstery for the back seats and use it as is.

For the floor. I also would like to add some flotation foam under the flooring if possible, and am considering a built in gas tank.

I'm also considering enhancing the front deck as a fishing platform. The deck is very solid, with i-beam support underneath.

I'd also like to build a back deck with a cutout for motor clearance. The stern area where water can splash in and drain back out (term for that?) is quite large and I'd like to make that space a bit more usable for fishing... actually, I could probably install a livewell back there somehow, especially if I put in a built in gas tank.

As for the structural integrity of the boat, it appears rock solid. My plan is to dock this boat, so I'll be looking into the best approach to painting the hull.

You got a deal! It looks like a tough old boat. If you get into much wave action, it will be like riding a bull with the current steering arrangement. I think that's why you don't see that setup anymore. The ride's always more comfortable in the back. That would be great with a small center console toward the rear. Maybe raise the rear floor up to the level of the front and add a belly tank underneath. I agree about the wasted space at the rear. Are there portable tanks either in the hinged compartments or the big splashwell? I'd like to see a picture looking down into the splashwell. It does look large. That's a weird finish on the AL. Almost looks like galvanized steel. Good project boat for sure. Good luck.

benjineer said:
...You got a deal! It looks like a tough old boat. If you get into much wave action, it will be like riding a bull with the current steering arrangement. I think that's why you don't see that setup anymore. The ride's always more comfortable in the back. That would be great with a small center console toward the rear. Maybe raise the rear floor up to the level of the front and add a belly tank underneath. I agree about the wasted space at the rear. Are there portable tanks either in the hinged compartments or the big splashwell? I'd like to see a picture looking down into the splashwell. It does look large. That's a weird finish on the AL. Almost looks like galvanized steel. Good project boat for sure. Good luck.

Problem with raising the floor is I'd lose the cool fold up seats in the back. They might have to be sacrificed. There is lots of room under the rear now, behind the folding seatback panel.

The inside is painted with a sort of swirl pattern over a base coat. That's what gives it the galvanized look.

I like the center console idea... might just do that.

Here are a couple more pics f the back I had. I'd rather not cut into that existing structure because I think it's providing functional support for the transom. Maybe I could build in a live well on one side and some additional workable surface on the other, for a measuring tape and fish fillet table (install a rinse hose and the table could be rinsed right out the back). Still mulling it over.
GrummanRear1.jpg

GrummanRear2.jpg

those fold away seats in the back are a pretty sweet idea. To bad you can't reattach the hinge to be higher to allow for a floor build. Sweet old boat!! will be watching this one.

hyzerbomber said:
those fold away seats in the back are a pretty sweet idea. To bad you can't reattach the hinge to be higher to allow for a floor build. Sweet old boat!! will be watching this one.

I hear ya. That might actually be possible, but not without a lot of surgery.

I think I'd cut it loose and slide it back as far as it would go and still allow the motor to come all the way up. How much splashwell do you need? I'll bet the transom is knee-braced to the bottom of the hull in some way. I definitely wouldn't mess with those. This is what it looks like on my center console. It has a baitwell on one side and battery compartment on the other. There is bilge access on the bottom of the splashwell and a larger hatch in front of it. My center console is too wide for my boat in my opinion. It's cumbersome to walk around it. I've seen some that are like half that size on some bay boats. That would be great. Also wish the steering wheel was higher as I never sit down when driving. Last pic is from ebay before I bought it and changed motors, seats, etc. I think you have more room to work with, since yours is 2ft longer.

IMG_3036.JPG

IMG_3038.JPG

24_1.jpg

I like the old school flasher. Some people could actually read one and tell you where there were fish. I never could..... Cool boat can't wait to follow your progress.

OK, a few updates.

I'll be firing up the old Merc 800 this weekend. (might as well be optimistic about it) I'm gonna get it running and sell it, then repower the boat with a newish 90 hp outboard... E-Tec maybe. My old man spent enough time working on outboards instead of fishing for the both of us! :LOL2:

For Decking I'm going to use LockDry, an interlocking, light and strong, aluminum decking material: https://www.lockdry.com/lockdrydemo.htm

The layout is still in design mode. Will post it for ideas when I'm finished. Built in gas tank, livewell, storage, jump seat, front and back casting platforms will likely be in there.

FYI, just found a nice double axle, tilting trailer to replace the old crappy one it came with.

Anything made by Grumman from a canoe to an aircraft is going to be made to the highest standard. You've got one heck of a boat there. Good luck. keep us up dated. Thanks.

tccanoe said:
Anything made by Grumman from a canoe to an aircraft is going to be made to the highest standard. You've got one heck of a boat there. Good luck. keep us up dated. Thanks.

Agree. I bought my Grumman Canoe in 1981 and it's still in great shape. This one is a '65 and is "built like a brick sh-thouse" (as my old man used to say, God rest his soul).

Latest posts