Question for woodworking guys

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBlaster

Reaction score
I know we have some fine craftsmen on here so I have a question for you all. I'm getting ready to start a couple projects as soon as my hardware arrives. I have a new baby girl coming soon and I want to build her a cradle and a crib. My question is, I have no experience with mortise and tenon joints. Based on my research, most people make those joints with a router or a table saw. I have both. I was looking into mortise and tenon jigs for my router but they are very pricey. What is the best way to make nice tight mortise and tenon joints without buying a $300 jig?

Hey there BassBlaster... I've had good luck using this table saw jig, and you can usually find it on sale through Woodcraft.

https://www.woodcraft.com/Search2/Search.aspx?query=tennon%20jig

WoodRiver.jpg

Now.... that cover's the tennon part. As far as the mortise, you just need to do thorough measuring and layout. drill out the mass wood at the drill press, and the clean up the rest with "quality" wood chisels. Don't initially make them too tight though. You need to allow for the expansion the wood will go through as the glue cures. :wink:

I also, wish I could afford a nice benchtop mortiser though... I like to dream big. :mrgreen:

Latest posts