14' Landau deck conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just picked a 14' Landau 1447-FP with a 5.5 nissan for $250.00. It needs a bit of TLC and I wanted to put some decking on it but, I'm not sure about it. I'm afraid that it might be a little too small. Its 14'' x 43"w x 18"d. It has a couple of fold down seats install on it but, the job was really bad and it needs to be redone. So, I'm worried that it might be too top heavy. I'm 6'-2" 230lb and my buddy is 5'-6" and 300lb. it will be a lake boat. I've been looking around the net for any an answer but, I haven't really seen one. Can someone help??

-Brian

This is the only shot of it I have right now and the link I have on it doesn't give you that much info:

1992 Landau Boats 1447FP
This Landau outboard utility has a aluminum hull, is 14 feet long and 47 inches wide at the widest point. The boat weighs approximately 98 pounds with an empty fuel tank and without any gear or passengers. The maximum horsepower we have listed for this outboard boat is 10 hp . If repowering you will want to verify the max horsepower for safety and to make sure your insurance company will insure your boat.

Sorry about the picture its the only one I have.

Attachments

• Jon Boat.jpg
    Jon Boat.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 2,911
You can place a deck on that - but I suggest you do not deck to the top - place the deck lower so as to give you a better center of gravity

After looking at the Landau website, it looks like your boat has a very low weight limit. If as you stated your 230lbs and your buddy is 300 you are already over the limit adding additional weight will not be a safe thing to do.
The sits lists the limits as.
2 persons at max of 289lbs
total weight of people motor and gear will max out at 350 lbs

So if you think like this:
Jon boat addict 230
trolling battery 65
gas motor 50?
trolling motor 10

your already at 355 lbs that is without fishing gear and for me that would add another 75lbs..lol
These ratings are always rated on the low end for safety reasons but you would still be pushing it adding a deck and your buddy...

good luck Wayne

Let me ask something then. I've been looking at a lot of boats and have noticed that the max weight that the boat can carry just never seems to be a lot. For these smaller boats I mean. how can it be that a 14' boat with 2 seats can only handle such a small amount? I mean if you break that down the 2 people could only weigh 250lbs that leaves you with 100lbs of equipment. Who weights 150lbs?? I have a canoe that can carry 650lbs and is not as wide(36") but is 2' longer. Another thing is that its rated for 10hp motor. Thats a good size motor for such a small boat. it would be a 150lb man, motor, gas and thats it. I remember going out in a friends jon boat that was only 10ft with him me and his father. We could all have sunk!

I know the guy I got the boat off of said he would put the motor, battery, cooler, himself, another guy and his 2 little girls in this boat. It sounds like he was trying to kill everyone on board!

B.T.W. I'm glad I found the site...its great!

...how can it be that a 14' boat with 2 seats can only handle such a small amount? I mean if you break that down the 2 people could only weigh 250lbs that leaves you with 100lbs of equipment. Who weights 150lbs??...

It all comes down to displacement, freeboard, stability, and structural strength of the "vessel". And, because the US Coast Guard says so, lol :)

The manufacturer wants to protect themselves.
The boat is rated for 350 lbs total but it may carry closer to 450lbs without any danger. A semi or mod vee of the same size will be rated higher than a flat bottomed jon boat.
You may be able to get you and your buddy in the boat but adding any extra weight (deck) may be pushing it..

And yes If he had all that in the boat he was trying to kill everyone!!! the boat is only rated for 2 people

Wayne

Latest posts