HOUSE's 14' Crestliner V-haul MOD (photos added)

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
You must be a registered user to be able to read the posts in this forum
HOUSE

Post by HOUSE »

I finally started cutting some wood! I'll use this post to catalog the rear floorboard build.

HOUSE

Post by HOUSE »

My poor boat has been neglected for a month! I just now started back up on it. Several questions for anyone that can help.

I'm trying to figure out the best place for the gas tank. It wont fit in the back very well under my transom unless I change my frame design. I'd like to move it up to the front since I have more room, but I'm not exactly sure how people have been doing this. Are you using just automotive fuel line? I would think this would help my weight distribution. My friend just wants to set it up top on my transom by my motor, but I think that is a waste of space.

Here are my two favorite options:
Option 1 - extend the transom out another foot and move my design forward (I lose room though):

Option 2 - mount the fuel tank behind my livewell and under my seat, running a fuel line under my deck to the back:

(picture with the cooler/livewell):

Suggestions?

HOUSE

Post by HOUSE »

I got some good work done on the boat this weekend. I cut most of the front aluminum piece with a circular saw (Ferrous blade) and a Dremel (diamond cutting wheel). I was able to score it enough that it made a clean cut (picture at the bottom). I also removed the back section completely since the wood on the transom was rotted, and the aluminum tray back there was taking up 1-2 feet of space. The boat is completely stripped now, looks a heck of a lot bigger, and I'm now ready to start building!
:lol:

HOUSE

Post by HOUSE »

6 questions:
1) Paint the inside? Should I seal the inside of the boat while it is stripped? I can scrub it down with some Mineral Spirits and a scour pad. What should I use to coat the floor so it wont leak down the road? It has some sort of paint in it now that is coming up when I scrub it, but I was thinking of painting some sort of resin in there like the Spar Urethane. What do most of you guys line your boat with on the inside?

2) Paint the outside? The paint is starting to flake off in spots, especially the joints. I'm afraid that down the road this might allow water to leak into the riveted areas. Can I put another coat of paint or enamel over the old one or do I have to strip it down and paint it from scratch? ...I think I already know the answer to this question :(

3) Transom: Should I replace the old wood or just put a new piece of wood around it? The motor is secure not because I have aluminum around the original wood. I'm thinking it might look better to have a nice piece of wood sandwiching in the old wood.

4) Gas Tank: Now that the back section is removed, I think I'm going to keep it in the back and build a storage compartment and back fishing platform next to my back seat. Do you think it's worth putting the gas tank up front to help lighten the load?

5) Replacing missing rivets. I've got 3 missing rivets on that front aluminum plate. I was thinking about just using screws but rivets would look nicer. I don't have a rivet gun so I'm not sure what my options are here. Suggestions?

6) Aluminum crossbeam: I want to add some support since I've removed the benches. I'd like to run a piece of aluminum across the middle where my raised front deck begins by my cooler. I'll have to drill 2 or 3 holes in each side and bolt the crossbeam in place. Any suggestions how to do this step? I've been making most of this stuff up as I go based on other builds. This step scares me. I think I'm going to need a 55inch piece of aluminum. How thick should I get it? What kind do I buy? Can I get this at Lowes or Home Depot? Do I need L-shaped mounting brackets for it or something similar?

Update: I found Sgt. Stiglitz's mod which should be helpful with this step: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=15880 He said "I think I used 1 inch and 1 1/2 aluminum 1/8 thick angle and some 1/2 square aluminum along with just a cheap rivet gun from Lowes" which answers one of my questions. :)
-Here is the rivet gun he used: https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-rive ... 38353.html
Last edited by HOUSE on 13 Feb 2011, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.

Decatur

Post by Decatur »

You definately made the boat look bigger by cutting that bow cover! Looking forward to your progress. Good luck.
"Crazy on a ship of fools
Crazy on a ship of fools
Turn this boat around - back to my loving ground..."
-Robert Plant

jasper60103

Post by jasper60103 »

HOUSE wrote:6 questions:

4) Gas Tank: Now that the back section is removed, I think I'm going to keep it in the back and build a storage compartment and back fishing platform next to my back seat. Do you think it's worth putting the gas tank up front to help lighten the load?
I moved my battery forward and it made a big difference, esp since I normally fish alone.
2018 Tracker Grizzly 1648
2018 30 HP Suzuki DF30A

HOUSE

Post by HOUSE »

jasper60103 wrote:
HOUSE wrote:6 questions:
I moved my battery forward and it made a big difference, esp since I normally fish alone.
LOL I wish I had read that post before I just painted THIS! doh!
-Maybe I can put my batteries behind my front fishing chair :)
Thanks for the reply!

Brine

Post by Brine »

1. Gluvit https://www.marinetex.com/gluvit.html

2. If your reasoning for painting the outside is more about leak protection than cosmetics, use Steelflex https://www.fascoepoxies.com/ Regardless of what you decide to use, you need to remove all loose paint. This may or may not mean you are sanding down to bare aluminum.

3. If the transom is soft, I'd replace it. If it's sound, but cosmetically unappealing to you, sand and paint/stain and spar urethane.

4. I'd rather have the tank in the back. Just me.

5. A ball peen hammer and a sledge will install 3 rivets provided you have access to the back of the rivet.

6. Sounds like you have a plan

HOUSE

Post by HOUSE »

Brine, that Gluvit stuff is exactly what I was looking for! Amazon seller has it for $45 bucks. Does that sound about right? I think I can paint it on the areas where my hull is riveted together instead of coating my boat's entire inside area. Thanks for the tip.
You got me thinking about my questions today...I think I'll wait on painting the outside since it is just cosmetic. The gas tank area in the back might serve as a good fishing platform so I think I'll build it back there. The transom wood is old but holding so I'll reinforce it with a good solid inner piece of plywood. I needed to hear someone else's opinion. :)

-I'm still scared about the rivets though. Do I just drill a tiny hole through the boat first and then punch the rivet through? Sorry to sound so stupid, but I've never seen a rivet gun before. I'll youtube it tonight. I want to rivet the aluminum crossbeam into an L-shaped bracket on the side of the hull, a little higher than where my benches were placed. Do you think 3 crossbeams/L-brackets can support the weight of the front fishing platform? I'm thinking I'll still have to build the frame down to the bottom of the boat in the center.

Thanks again everyone for the replies. I'm heading out to my garage now to mess around with it :shock:

LonLB

Post by LonLB »

I bought my Gluvit from a seller on Ebay. Wholesale Marine I think it was. Price was $42 to my door. Watch shipping costs, because some places charge a pretty penny to ship it.

Brine

Post by Brine »

I think you're right about where to apply the Gluvit. Just hit all the seams/rivets from the inside. No need to cover the whole bottom of the boat, and that price is what I'm use to seeing it for. Like Lon said, make sure to check out shipping costs.

I don't know that I have clarity on your rivet application ~ pics would help. There are two kinds of rivets (primarily).

Pop rivets and Solid Rivets. Pop rivets are installed with a manual operated hand tool ($20 at Home Depot), and are typically only used above the waterline (like for attaching aluminum angle/sheet etc...) I have seen them used below the waterline in conjunction with 3M 5200 Marine Sealant.

Solid Rivets are installed by hitting the head of the rivet with a hammer/pneumatic rivet gun/air chisel) while holding a heavy piece of steel/sledge hammer/bucking bar on the backside of the rivet that the tail of the rivet "smushes" against until tight. If done properly, solid rivets once set do not need any type of sealant, but in your case, it would provide a little bit more insurance that the rivet is water tight.

The dome shape of solid rivets have a matching shaped tool that is inserted into a pneumatic rivet gun and would be the way to go if you are trying to match existing rivets cosmetically, but a ball peen hammer should allow you to accomplish the same thing (just takes longer) without beating the rounded head of the rivet flat (as might happen with a regular hammer)

You can also use nuts/bolts with some 3M 5200 if you think the value of using the rivets isn't worth the hassle.

Post some pics of where you're trying to drill the holes if you get a chance.

arkansasnative

Post by arkansasnative »

I noticed nobody really answered your question about the seats so i figured id put my 2 cents in... If you dont mind spending a little extra money i would highly recommend the high back tempress seats! they're so comfortable me and my girlfriend sat in them in my living room floor just to watch tv one day! The BPS spring classic sale is coming up soon so if you can hold out a little bit longer they might go on sale... i bought mine on sale last year. My way of thinking is i don't mind spending a little extra money on things that can be transferred to a newer boat. (Seats, Fishfinder, Motor, Etc...)

heres the link to those seats... last year i think i got them at like 65 a piece
https://www.basspro.com/Tempress-HiBack ... 1/-1018916

HOUSE

Post by HOUSE »

Man, this forum is amazing. Thank you so much guys for the replies...it's giving me the false confidence I need to really get in there and convince myself that I have a clue what I'm doing! lol :)

okay, the rivets are definitely above the water line. I'm going to use them to secure L-brackets to the sides where my benches used to sit (only a little bit higher up). I'm going to try and place 3 reinforcing 55" aluminum crossbeams under my front deck. One in front of my cooler/live well, the second under my front seat, and the third up near the front of the boat. I just don't know if those 3 beams alone will support all of that weight, so I might end up building a wooden frame under them to help spread out the weight. I'll try and paint a quick picture on my lunch break here at work.

I love those chair suggestions. The look like a warm leather recliner, hehe. The only consideration I have with them is that my friend's aunt works at Bass Pro and she can get me 40% off anything BPS brand! I was leaning towards their high-back chair, and like you said I think it is definitely worth splurging on the better models since I can re-use them.

Thanks again guys.

I've ordered my gluvit last night from West Marine, so I'm going to scrub my boat down tonight and apply that stuff this weekend. Once it's down, I'll paint the inside to block out UV light and start working on the decks! The back deck should go fast...I just have to cut out a matching transom piece and build the frame for the rod holder and storage. I'll bug you guys again once I get to the front fishing deck. That is going to be the most interesting part due to all of the storage cabinets.

cya in a week!

HOUSE

Post by HOUSE »

here's my rudimentary layout for the aluminum crossbeams (red). The L-brackets (purple) will need to be riveted to the hull above the waterline. Will 3 crossbeams support a chair and my weight or should I add vertical supports down to a piece of plywood on the base below the front deck?

HOUSE

Post by HOUSE »

I just got done sealing the entire insides with Gluvit...feeling kind of dizzy hahaha. I was surprised that one can was enough for all of the joints. I think it was 50 bucks well spent. I'm going to throw a coat of paint over it like the can suggests in 48 hours. I'll post pics after the paint job when it's looking nicer on the inside.
:)