HOUSE's 14' Crestliner V-haul MOD (photos added)

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
You must be a registered user to be able to read the posts in this forum
Decatur

Post by Decatur »

I don't believe my hull has any leaks, but I'm going to apply Gluvit to the inside to be sure. Hopefully I'll never need to Steelflex it!
"Crazy on a ship of fools
Crazy on a ship of fools
Turn this boat around - back to my loving ground..."
-Robert Plant

HOUSE

Post by HOUSE »

Here are some pictures of the Gluvit and what it looked like after I sealed and painted it. I covered it with silver Rustoleum paint and it really made the inside of my boat look new.

I was afraid to remove a rusty screw on the bottom so I just coated over it and I'm pretty sure it's not going anywhere:

front:
back:

-Tonight's project is to find a way to build the frame into this back piece of transom wood and hide the gas tank. The transom wood is not perfectly vertical, so I'll need to find a way to cut the 2x4's at an angle or shim some L-brackets to support my back fishing deck. I wish I wasn't such a rivet-pansy! I'm scared to poke holes in the hull :roll:

atuck593

Post by atuck593 »

It's comming together nicely...I have a 14' Starcraft V-Hull very similar to yours. Was the Gluvit easy to work with? I am debating on using it or not? Did you have more than enough to cover the joints, because I would like cover some of the floor around the rear bench too? Any help is great...it's torture up here in PA with the weather and all not being able to start.
My Summer School Project a 14' Starcraft Seafarer
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=18252

HOUSE

Post by HOUSE »

atuck593 wrote:It's comming together nicely...I have a 14' Starcraft V-Hull very similar to yours. Was the Gluvit easy to work with? I am debating on using it or not? Did you have more than enough to cover the joints, because I would like cover some of the floor around the rear bench too? Any help is great...it's torture up here in PA with the weather and all not being able to start.
Yeah, I'm in Ohio so I'm feeling you on the cold! We had a taste of warm weather last week and it's back to cold rain today, grrrr. I had to open my basement door and allow some heat to get into my garage just to keep from freezing to death while I worked on the boat.

That Gluvit stuff was awesome...I just poured the catalyst agent that came with it right into the Gluvit container, mixed it up for 3 minutes, then started painting it on. You have 90 minutes before it gets too hard. I had enough to cover every single rib in my boat's floor with just a little bit left over to hit some spots on the bottom of my boat where joints are. The fumes are horrible though, I actually had to throw my contacts out because I felt like they were coated with mace when I put them in the next day. I wore a mask and had the garage door open too! Nasty stuff...make sure you wear gloves. I bought some cheap nitrile gloves from Walmart's auto section for 5 bucks that worked fine.

I'd really suggest spraying it with silver paint afterward. It says it will protect if from UV light, but it also holds the paint really well and made the boat look 10 times newer.

more pics tomorrow when I start the actual frame...good luck with the Gluvit!

-House

atuck593

Post by atuck593 »

Thanks I think it will be worth the money, time, mess, and smell for the Gluvit as I plan to put a floor and decks in the boat. I don’t want any leaks under there. Your right the weather last weekend was just enough to get your hopes up at least until trout season rolls around…but then winter came back with a few inches of snow on Monday. I did see a few guys though brave the high water from the snow melt last Friday and make a valiant effort to get their boats out and a few casts in on the Susquehanna River. I look forward to seeing your progress with the boat since we have similar set ups, especially with your framing for the decks. I want to find the best way to maximize strength but keep the weight down.
My Summer School Project a 14' Starcraft Seafarer
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=18252

HOUSE

Post by HOUSE »

I blew another $60 bucks at Home Depot last night, lol, it sure goes fast!

-I bought a cheap rivet gun LINK: (https://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardwar ... ogId=10053)
-5mm aluminum rivets LINK: (https://fp.vendaria.com/vpop/VpopViewer ... &pf=t&fr=t)
-eight 2x2's
-20 small 1inch L-Brackets (corner braces)
-8 larger 1.5inch corner braces LINK: (https://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/st ... =202033938)

I could not believe how expensive those freaking L-Brackets/braces were! The 20 pack for the wood joints cost $8, but the 8 larger ones that I plan on riveting to the side of my boat for the deck support were almost $4 for a 2pack. 40 bucks for some bent metal! lol.
I was looking for a 20pack of 2inch braces similar to the ones used in Crappie_Slayer's build. I need to go to Lowes instead and get some StrongTie braces. I found them online after I got raped at Home Depot:
https://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?pa ... Id=1115047
or maybe these: https://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?pa ... &cId=PDIO1

As to the actual boat, here are my 3 most recent photos with the gas tank finally mounted and floor board screwed in place:

Questions: The largest rivets they sold at Home Depot were 5mm (3/16?) aluminum rivets. They do not sell steel rivets in the store, and I don't know if I should even use steel ones on the aluminum hull. Do you guys think the ones I got will be strong enough to hold those braces to my boat? (I will have vertical 2x2's to help support the weight.) Also, I've never riveted anything before, do I just drill a small hole through my boat first and then pop in the rivet? It's above the water line, do I need to seal it with 5200 or epoxy? Should I put something between the strongtie and the actual boat aluminum like rubber or a sealant? I will search the forums, but any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

*Next projects:
1) cut a board with my leftover plywood to go under that gas tank for support.
2) cut another board to go under the cooler and attach it to the main plywood for support.
3) rivet the side braces and attach the 2x2 framework.

HOUSE

Post by HOUSE »

I'm starting to see progress finally :) I finally dedicated a complete afternoon to the boat and had a blast in the process. I found an old mp3 player that had my old work out songs, so I fired it up and this is what I got done:

1) My first rivets! I was kind of nervous drilling holes in the boat, but it ended up being much easier than I expected. (I removed the duct tape):

2) Side braces. I used the L-braces that I riveted to the hull to fix side braces to the frame. I used cardboard and a scrap 2x4 to make these exact. Getting the top level was a real pain in the butt. I had to bend the braces with a vice:

3) Side framing/rails:

4) Starboard storage compartment complete:

*Notes:
I think the biggest thing holding me back so far was my inexperience with woodworking. Today I just said "screw it" and started cutting wood and screwing screws. I loved it and realized that most mistakes can be fixed or redone. Thanks to everyone so far that has replied to my questions, I feel like I'm actually making progress now. Next up, re-mount the back brackets (too low), finish the rear fishing platform, & finish the portside rod-holder & frame. This is going to be a challenge because I need the lid to be about 6ft long! I would have started it last night but I ran out of screws! :shock:

HOUSE

Post by HOUSE »

Updated floor plan schematics (based on available frame locations):

-Red=framework/support:
Last edited by HOUSE on 10 Mar 2011, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.

Ictalurus

Post by Ictalurus »

=D> =D>
Looks good house, congrats on your first rivet. That boat is gonna be sharp.

acedog1234

Post by acedog1234 »

nice looking boat. how did you make those floor plan drawings
NO LIMIT

HOUSE

Post by HOUSE »

acedog1234 wrote:nice looking boat. how did you make those floor plan drawings
I have a lot of free time at work, so I used MS Paint to make those floorplans on my work pc, hahaha. Waaaay too much free time. Google has a free tool called Google SKETCH that is pretty easy to use and has much more functionality. It's not quite Autocad, but it might be a step up if you want something more advanced that is free. I just wanted something simple, and Paint allows me to get the basic idea down on paper. (I also printed out pictures of Crappie_Slayer's build which have helped me a lot).

Question:
-I attached the metal side braces with rivets and did not put anything behind them to sit in between the aluminum and steel. I see a lot of guys using rubber or 5200. Is corrosion going to be an issue down the road? I'll probably spray the joints down with Spar Urethane just to keep water out from behind them. Also, has anyone built a rod holder before? I'm not sure how to support a 7foot hatch #-o (I'll search the forums and see what I can find...)

acedog1234

Post by acedog1234 »

thanks that program is hard to use but i will figure it out
NO LIMIT

HOUSE

Post by HOUSE »

acedog1234 wrote:thanks that program is hard to use but i will figure it out
If you are using the Google Sketch program, make sure you print out the "cheat sheet" that they offer. It really helps by showing you what all of the buttons do. Do you have any sketches uploaded of your plan?

HOUSE

Post by HOUSE »

3/10/11: Got some more work done last night, and I think I'm slowly making progress. We are getting some freezing rain tonight, so it looks like Mother Nature is buying me some more time before water temps around here will break 50 degrees. Here's that latest photos:

Right side storage is supported and complete:

livewell is tightly framed:

7" rod holder is braced and feels secure:

and finally, here's a fake action shot to put a face with my name:

Next projects:
1) Seal all of my screw holes with silicone and finalized the work so far. I might just paint over them with more spar urethane instead. I still have to seal the wood that I used so far for this framework anyways.
2) Back fishing platform: I need to find a way to support the area above my gas tank so I can stand on it. I didn't extend the plywood base all the way back so there is nothing down below to build a frame off of #-o
3) Seal the side braces that I riveted to the hull. I didn't put anything behind them and I'm worried about the steel and aluminum reacting over time. I think I can minimize air/water exposure by sealing the edges around them with silicone.
4) Front fishing platform: :shock:

Decatur

Post by Decatur »

You gotta love those fake action shots! :D
"Crazy on a ship of fools
Crazy on a ship of fools
Turn this boat around - back to my loving ground..."
-Robert Plant