Impeller sharpening

bulldog
Site Sponsor

Impeller sharpening

Post by bulldog »

You guy have just saved me a ton of trouble. I'll be remounting my motor this weekend and going through the pump along with sharpening the impeller. Thanks!!

Seth

Impeller sharpening

Post by Seth »

Thanks for the pics Lil Blue Rude. I'll sharpen it that way and see how it goes. How much speed do you gain by polishing the pump? I've read about guys doing that, but I just don't really know if it's worth it. Seems I suck rocks up pretty often when I start running a lot of a new water.

Lil' Blue Rude

Impeller sharpening

Post by Lil' Blue Rude »

I don't know how many mph it will gain you, it depends on your set up. I didn't run my motor before I polished my pump so I don't know how much it gained me. If you suck alot of rocks I would say it defeat the purpose of polishing it,plus the large pumps are a pain to polish because of the brace in them. If you still want to do it you have to pull the pipe out of the pump and remove your bearing carier out to make it easier. Make sure not to make the opening where the water exits bigger then what it is. On another note if your motor got the grunt to pull a stainless impellers seem to help some to, it gained me another mph with my motor.
16' 42" Blazer SS with a custom short shaft 60/40 Evinrude

optaylor823

Impeller sharpening

Post by optaylor823 »

Ok I will admit that I only do my impeller about once or twice a year and it is coming up time to do it and I will try Lil Blue Rude's technique and see what happens.

Codeman

Impeller sharpening

Post by Codeman »

Thanks for the pics Rude. Gonna pull mine out this weekend and work it over some.
If it wasn't for the last minute I'd never get anything done.

Seth

Impeller sharpening

Post by Seth »

How do I know if I have a stainless impeller? Also what size motors benefit from them? I've heard that 90 horse and up benefit and also heard that 150 and up are the only ones that benefit.

Lil' Blue Rude

Impeller sharpening

Post by Lil' Blue Rude »

Most pumps come stock with a zinc alloy impeller. The stainless have very thin blades. Stainless are also VERY HEAVY, at least 2lbs heavier than a zinc one. I'm going to guess a 6 7/8 stainless would be around 7-8lbs if not more than that. I know that the 6 1/8 are around 5lbs where a zinc one is 4 1/4lbs and a aluminium is 3 1/2lbs. The stainless are also very durable.
As for what size motors benifits it depends, my motor is a 40/28 evinrude that I've done a little work to and it gained me 1mph when I put a stainless 6 1/8 in.

georgiaken

Impeller sharpening

Post by georgiaken »

It seems you guys have figured it out, but for clarification, the Snyder boats article says:

"It is important to create a clean edge within 1/32 of an inch. Do not to bevel the leading edge or create a double chisel point."

Chris wrote the article and also is in the Backwoods Angler video...

In other words, DON'T sharpen the blade from BOTH side...
Ranger Cherokee 116 - 90/65 Merc

georgiaken

Impeller sharpening

Post by georgiaken »

Regarding polishing...I am no expert, but what I have read pretty much says:

Polishing will increase performance...until you ingest a small stone or sand and the polish job is ruined.
For the amount of time and effort required to polish the blade, the positive effects won't last very long...

Lil' Blue Rude

Impeller sharpening

Post by Lil' Blue Rude »

georgiaken wrote:It seems you guys have figured it out, but for clarification, the Snyder boats article says:

"It is important to create a clean edge within 1/32 of an inch. Do not to bevel the leading edge or create a double chisel point."

I know what the "experts" say about sharpening impellers but my knolege comes from first hand experience of sharpening diffrent impellers in diffrent ways and the methods that I stated early are the ones that I've had the best results with.

If Snyders method is the correct method of sharpening an impeller then you explain to me why a impeller that was sharpened in the method he explains is 3mph slower than the same impeller sharpened in the way I described. I would love to here how he came up with his method of sharpening impellers. We've been sharpening impellers like this for over 10 years now and every time I hear of someone sharpening an impeller like Snyder explains they have problems with their boats spining out when they take off. When they sharpen it like I described the problems stopped.
Sharpen how you want I'm just telling you what I've learn in my experience with outboard jets.
As for polishing your impellers it isn't a mod that will be felt in the seat of your pants, it's one of those list of small things that need to be compined to make a diffrence. Polishing the pump makes a bigger diffrnece then the polished impeller but it might not be noticble by the seat of your pants but it does help, it doesn't have to be polished to a mirror finish it just needs the casting smoothed down.

moelkhuntr

Impeller sharpening

Post by moelkhuntr »

Just came in from sharpening my impeller the way Lil' Blue Rud has suggested. Trying to get things ready for next weekend when I go run with the big dogs. My little 60/40 E-TEC just ain't going to hang with those big dogs, But I will say I will have just as big a time getting there. Last I saw it was calling for halfway nice weather but in MO you just have to wait and see. See you'll Sat. if the sky doesn't fall.
18/52 Blazer, 115 HO E=TEC

bulldog
Site Sponsor

Impeller sharpening

Post by bulldog »

I sharpened my impeller yesterday the way lilbluerude described. My new deck makes my boat basically jump out to the water like I have never felt and after looking at my impeller when I got home it was not sharp and you could tell I had sucked some stuff up last year. I'm anxious to see if it makes a difference. I can't even tell you how careful I was to not even breath on the bottom edge of the impeller. :lol:

georgiaken

Impeller sharpening

Post by georgiaken »

Lil' Blue Rude wrote:
georgiaken wrote:It seems you guys have figured it out, but for clarification, the Snyder boats article says:

I know what the "experts" say about sharpening impellers but my knolege comes from first hand experience of sharpening diffrent impellers in diffrent ways and the methods that I stated early are the ones that I've had the best results with.

If Snyders method is the correct method of sharpening an impeller then you explain to me why a impeller that was sharpened in the method he explains is 3mph slower than the same impeller sharpened in the way I described. I would love to here how he came up with his method of sharpening impellers. We've been sharpening impellers like this for over 10 years now and every time I hear of someone sharpening an impeller like Snyder explains they have problems with their boats spining out when they take off. When they sharpen it like I described the problems stopped.
Sharpen how you want I'm just telling you what I've learn in my experience with outboard jets.
As for polishing your impellers it isn't a mod that will be felt in the seat of your pants, it's one of those list of small things that need to be compined to make a diffrence. Polishing the pump makes a bigger diffrnece then the polished impeller but it might not be noticble by the seat of your pants but it does help, it doesn't have to be polished to a mirror finish it just needs the casting smoothed down.

Well, I can't argue with experience...I've only owned my jet for 2 weeks and I've never had it in the water yet (as the pilot). I am just passing on things I picked up while doing my research. So, I won't even begin to make any argument to the contrary.

As for the polishing...if you have the time and the interest, it certainly won't hurt anything. It will make the jet more efficient for sure. It's just that sand and pebbles will find their way into our intake and will negate whatever we gain from polishing. I'm not saying it's a bad thing...just that you might ultimately waste your time. Polishing pre-fab parts that come off an assembly line will, in most cases, improve them...I polished my baitcasters and they definitely improved...but I don't have abrasives running through them, since it's easy to keep them clean.

I tend to be a perfectionist, so I certainly understand...

Lil' Blue Rude

Impeller sharpening

Post by Lil' Blue Rude »

Sorry if I came across too harsh. Sometimes you have those days ya know.

fender66

Impeller sharpening

Post by fender66 »

Good discussion guys. Really good info and some from different perspectives. Remember...you can't tell someone's tone from a post, and more importantly, we are all family here. The worst thing that should happen is we agree to disagree. No harm in that.:mrgreen:

I think all is good Lilrude.

Seems like this discussion is more directed towards "speed" performance. I'd be interested in fuel consumption performance. I'm guessing that none of this will help in that area though?
Peace,

Chris/Fender66´¯`●.¸.¸¸.●´¯`●.¸><((((º>
Every day should be Fender Day!

2011 TinBoats/BYOB Labor Day Tournament Champion :wink: