Stupid Question - Drain Plugs

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingCop

Reaction score
Okay, never had a deep V before and the person I bought it from says to always keep the live well plug in when the boat's in the water so mud, etc., doesn't clog up the drain line. Made sense at first I guess, but that was when we would launch and take out in the same day. Even still, I would think one should airate/freshen the water regularly to keep fish alive?

We're going to have the boat on a lake for 7 days without taking it out of the water. I'm thinking I should leave the plug out so I can regularly airate/change the water. Otherwise, if I turn the live well pump on with the plug in, I assume the live well will overflow and need to be pumped out by the bilge pump. This just doesn't sound right???

Ant thoughts?? Thanks.

your live well should have a pump that will fill the live well with fresh water
the drain in the bottom will not empty the old water out unless you get the boat up on plane. in my old boat if i let the pump run it would over flow into the bilge and start to fill the boat. so I added a timer on the pump and that helped out a bit. My new boat has an overflow in the top of the live wells the spills out the back of the boat so I can run fresh water in at all times and not flood the boat.

If your gonna be on the water for 7 days with out an over flow I would take a hand pump and pup the water out nightly to get fresh water in it.
adding an over flow isn't that hard and is a good weekend project

Wayne

On my booat,Ijust leave the plug out and it fills up on its own and stays full until I take off and get on plane it would drain itself dry if I let it but it also has a valve built in that you can open and close. The overflow idea would probably be the way to go if you had the time to do it. Either way,I would keep fresh water in it if you catchin many fish. The oxygen don't last very long in a small live well with fish in it. That's my opinion anyway.Hope we helped ya out a little bit anyway :D

Thanks for the responses...

For clarification, the live well has a drain hole in the bottom. A plastic stand pipe fits in the hole to keep water in the well. Since I have always kept the plug at the back of the boat in, I don't know if the water would drain out when on plane or not. When the plug is in, I can pull out the stand pipe, but the water does not empty. I don't kinow what would happen if I let the live well pump continue to run, I'm guessing it would overflow into the bilge area??

I could add an overflow as suggested. But what I am hearing is that, if I left the plug out, the water would drain if I pull the stand pipe and got up on plane? Then, I could replace the stand pipe and pump in fresh water. But leaving the plug in would requie an overflow or flooding the bilge from the live well - not a good idea I think??

What about the question of mud, etc. causing a problem if I leave the plug out???

having the plug out should not be an issue. .
Yes when you remove the stand pipe and get on pad the well will empty out or at least part of the way down.. then the freshwater can be added

Wayne

Latest posts