Nussy's PonTIN boats

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
You must be a registered user to be able to read the posts in this forum
bailey86

Nussy's PonTIN boats

Post by bailey86 »

nussy i was looking around ebay and found these people
https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STANDAR ... iesQ5fGear i thought it wasn't a bad price

bassboy1
Site Sponsor

Nussy's PonTIN boats

Post by bassboy1 »

Nussy wrote: I've been kicking around a few live well/storage ideas below the deck but I couldn't think of a good way to do it that didn't involve something custom due to the aluminum plank decking. I was also worried about how deep they could be and stay above the water line. I then thought about a box above deck toward the rear for life jackets, anchor, battery, etc.
At the Atlanta boat show the past few years (I didn't waste any money this year, given that there was nothing there), they have had a small fishing pontoon, with dimensions similar to yours. I don't remember if they were electric only, or had a gas outboard, but they had plenty of storage. What they did, was merely build up about a foot above the deck, and place hatches/livewells, etc in the space. It left a wide open platform, with storage underneath the casting decks, without interfering with the water line, and a slightly higher vantage point.

I believe the raised deck stopped a foot shy of the front, and the trolling motor was mounted on the lower section. The TM was a MK Powerdrive mounted dead center, which, when folded up, extended back into a cubby underneath the raised deck. I don't remember if the cubby had a lid which opened up for deploying, or if the motor had to be slid forward before being tilted down (which was probably why the Powerdrive was used, as it allows that, unlike a scissors style motor).

BaitCaster

Nussy's PonTIN boats

Post by BaitCaster »

Interesting build - wish my garage was that clean!
“There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” ~Stephen Wright

The Livin Large Project - https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=14160

Nussy

Nussy's PonTIN boats

Post by Nussy »

Scored these sweet pedestal seats off Craigslist today, $70 bucks for the pair.
3nc3mb3o75Y65P25S4b3s703835d245841bf0.jpg
I'll pick up a few more things at Cabela's tomorrow for the build. Decking company said it should ship tomorrow...sounds like I have work ahead for the weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2007NNBS

Nussy's PonTIN boats

Post by 2007NNBS »

look up www.protatch.com...they have some nice pontoon boats on their website.

Waterwings

Nussy's PonTIN boats

Post by Waterwings »

Nussy,

If you want really want to shine those pontoons up, checkout this product: https://www.sharkhide.com/mpinfo.html. Sharkhide is a protectant applied after cleaning and polishing the aluminum, but it lasts quite a long time.

Here's a Tracker tin with the Sharkhide treatment:

Image1652VT RoughneckImageCarrot Stix LTX

Nussy

Nussy's PonTIN boats

Post by Nussy »

There's a few mini toon companies out there that I've seen. I'm stealing the best of their ideas within reason.

Water wings, I thought shark hide too, but theses pontoons have some "history" and I think the sharkhide polish might accent a few blemishes. I think it looks awesome and I love the idea on a newer boat. The Zing really brightened them up. Not perfect but a definite improvement with little work.

Update, decking will be here Thursday. Stopped by my fab guy and he's still not sure when the other set of tubes will be done, guess i'll work on what I can this weekend. Also picked up a hatch and some other goodies from Cabelas. We will see what I can figure out for some storage.

Waterwings

Nussy's PonTIN boats

Post by Waterwings »

Nussy wrote:...Waterwings, I thought shark hide too, but theses pontoons have some "history" and I think the sharkhide polish might accent a few blemishes. I think it looks awesome and I love the idea on a newer boat. The Zing really brightened them up. Not perfect but a definite improvement with little work...

Understand, just a suggestion. That's gonna be a great rig when you're done! :)
Image1652VT RoughneckImageCarrot Stix LTX

truckhuntfish

Nussy's PonTIN boats

Post by truckhuntfish »

i'm not sure how far you want to go with the polishing, but , when i polish the tanks on my semi , they always have rock chips in them , fine sandpaper takes the nicks right out , then you need a polishing wheel on a 8in. grinder , you can make them look like chrome. there is a chrome shop for semis in appleton , can't remember the name , but they should have anything you need for that

fender66

Nussy's PonTIN boats

Post by fender66 »

Although I'm totally impressed with this project.......I'm more jealous of the clean garage space you have!

Way to go man!
Peace,

Chris/Fender66´¯`●.¸.¸¸.●´¯`●.¸><((((º>
Every day should be Fender Day!

2011 TinBoats/BYOB Labor Day Tournament Champion :wink:

Nussy

Nussy's PonTIN boats

Post by Nussy »

That's funny....the garage just looks clean. Go back to pick 1 of this thread and you'll see what the other half looks like :)

fender66

Nussy's PonTIN boats

Post by fender66 »

Yeah sure....you should see mine. On second thought....I don't think I want anyone to see it. #-o
Peace,

2007NNBS

Nussy's PonTIN boats

Post by 2007NNBS »

Any updates?

Nussy

Nussy's PonTIN boats

Post by Nussy »

Well I just got back to working on the boat today(I had to get out and catch some walleyes yesterday while the run is on :). I got the decking cut, it's a product called Last Deck. Essentially tongue and groove extruded aluminum planks that are powder coated. A little pricey but I'll never have to redeck again and I can simply spray it down with a hose to clean it.

I fastened the decking down with #8 SS sheet metal screws. I decided to make the deck on boat shorter than I had originally planned because I thought it would get too much weight over the front taper of the pontoons and ride nose heavy. I'm going to put just a aluminum sheet cap over the front section you can see in the pics. The deck will be about 8.5'. I also decided not to go with any storage for this build as this is boat I will sell and didn't think I'd get the return on it to add a hatch and box. Build 2 I'm keeping and will put a little more into it.
Deck T&G.jpg
Deck Front.jpg
I decided to go with 1" x 3" x1/8" angle for the edge trim. It was about 1/3 the cost of normal pontoon trim and just couldn't justify spending extra. Unfortunately it came a little scratched up so I'll have to buff it up a little when I'm done. I was able to get two sides attached and one corner cap on before I decided to call it a day before a storm rolled in.....plus the Masters is on :LOL2:
Deck Rear.jpg
Trim Side.jpg
I got the corner cap from Marine East based on the post in the mod section for materials. Thanks to whomever posted the link, I really like them and saved a bundle.
CornerCap.jpg
I also finally got the second set of pontoons back from my fab guy yesterday and cleaned them up this morning. They turned out pretty good, but he said it was a nightmare of a job to weld aluminum so thin. Only cost me a $100 for the entire job which I thought was a great deal. Here's a pic of one tube. It's the back half of the original and I had him just put a flat nose on the front at an angle.
2nd Set toons.jpg
Should be able to finish boat #1 with only 3-4 more hours work. It goes a lot faster when you don't have to paint anything...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fender66

Nussy's PonTIN boats

Post by fender66 »

Sweet.....what kind of BBQ pit are you going to mount to it? :LOL2:
Peace,