For Fun or Money

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebcdave

Reaction score
Why aren't some clubs successful? Could it be that winning money is is the motive instead of having fun? How long has your club been going and what is the key to it's success? Interested to here from TinBoat members, Dave

I can't give you a club president's perspective, but I can give you a 3 year member's perspective of one that has been around for around 20 years. This is a jon-boat club who fishes primarliy electric only reservoirs about 8-9 months of the year (biweekly), and a few state parks that have a 10hp limit. Average turnout is probably 20-25 boats. We happen to have at least 4-5 other clubs that are successful as well.

In my opinion, some of the reasons it has been successful is this:
1. Affordability ($25 entry with 100% payback.) There is an annual membership fee (I think another $25 at the beginning of the year) The membership fee goes to pay for the website maintenance, new scales/weigh-in bags when needed, and is used as a payout at the end of the year for a top 5 fish off.
2. We alternated between 7 or so lakes for each tourney, which to me levels the playing field quite a bit as opposed to only fishing one lake.
3. End of the year honors. Some kind of points system that rewards participation for the entire season.
4. Sponsorships help. Sometimes the end of the year honors is a shot at $500 bucks or so, and sometimes it's a new jon boat.
5. A website

The club has a meeting every year before the season starts to allow anyone to contribute to rule changes, lakes fished (and when), and an open forum for discussing anything relevant to the club, which I think all helps with participation as well. Lastly, it may be enough of the right people need to know about it, which becomes a marketing issue.

Hope this helps.

Brine, your club has a good format that is a proven winner (affordability and 100% payout). Thanks for sharing and giving new clubs a model for success. =D> Keep"er Wet, Dave

They do the same up here.
Couple things maybe to add:
Theres always money/plaques for lunker as well.
Some lakes(tournaments) have a prize for biggest pickerel/weirdest sub-species,smallest fish.
Points system..at the end of the year the top 10 boats(team) fish a random lake for angler of the year.They fish as singles in this tournament,doubles throughout the year for team of the year.Theres only first place money here and lunker.
Year end supper/dinner/barbeque to give some prizes out(jackets,team of year,rookies,lunker kings that type thing) and make alittle money for the next year and have a good time.

Hey Zum,

A good time, eh? The Electric Bass Circuit started a 50/50 raffel last season to raise money for a party. A pizza party for all members and thier wives or girlfriends, with awards for all the tournament winners, was funded from the raffel. It's a good way to close the tournament season. Keep'er Wet, Dave

Hey Brine, what is your web-site? Ours is www.electric-bass.org