Grrrrrrr

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Reaction score
I just spooled up my Shimano Symetre 750 in accordance with their instructions in the booklet that came with the reel. Now I have used spinning reels before and have re-spooled them many times so I was surprised to see how Shimano sez to do it. Almost like a baitcaster but taking line off the bottom instead of over the top. The instructions (which I don't have handy) said something like their reel had some special way it spooled up and didn't end up with line twist. I must throw the BS flag here. I knew I should have spooled it the way I have always done spinning reels, with the spool laying flat on the floor. When I went to cast it to see how it handled 4lb and a 1/16oz jig I ended up with a bunch of twisted line trying to crawl up into a serious birds nest. Looks like I'll be streaming 120 yds of 4lb behind my boat the first trip out. Or I might just strip all of the line and start over.

I know I read something about this before - there are shiims you can use to adjust the spool height so that the line stacks correctly.

This from the Shimano web site:

Line Does not Stack Correctly:
Use provided shims to adjust spool height on he reel. If the line is too high on the spool add a shim. If it is too low remove a shim.

And as far as spooling up here is what they say:

To put line on your Shimano spinning reel place the reel in the reel seat on the rod. Take your spool of line (for recommended weights please refer to your reel owner’s manual) and run the line through the smallest guide at the tip, then through all of the guides toward the reel. Tie the line onto the spool with the bail in the open position (there is no bail on the baitcasting reel), pull on your line to assure that your knot is secure and then close the bail. After the bail is closed, rotate your handle away from you until you have spooled up the desired amount of line. For best results, place a pencil in the center of the spool and have a friend hold either end of the pencil securing the spool while you are filling the spool on your reel.

Not sure what you did here, but it sounds as if your line was spooled without enough pressure on the line. I find it best to add new line with a good bit of pressure on the line to prevent the line from falling over the front edge of spool.

On small reels (such as what you have) I would suggest not filling the line completely to the edge, leave about a 1/4" to prevent the line slide.

One other thing, start out throwing something that is heavy or has resistance - this will allow you to seat the line on the reel in the event there are some loose wraps.

I was holding the line between my fingers and the line is spooled on tightly. It's just that it is twisted. According to the instructions it sez...
"Your new Shimano reel has PwerRoller - a special line roller that reduces spinning line twist..." It also shows a picture on how they want it done. Next time, it gets spooled just like all my other spinning reels.

The shims they are talking about affect which part of the spool gets loaded more based on what type of line you are loading on there. Fluorocarbon and super lines should be more front loaded to reduce backlash problems. I'm using 4 Lb Trilene XT and loaded it evenly

Well, fortunately my reel came with a spare spool. I spooled it up the way I normally do spinning reels and it is more betterer. That thing on my Wally Marshall 7' Crappie rod casts a country mile with an 1/16 oz jig on it. I'm liking it so far. Looks like it will see some action while drifting for lake perches too.

Latest posts